To rogaine or not to rogaine?

virgo_chinwe

Hey ladies!

I am having a problem with the center of my scalp...its extremely short compared to the rest of my hair. The rest of my hair seems to be growing except that area. And to be honest it could be any number of things causing the great disparity in length from diet to perhaps they way I sleep (or is that a myth?) or perhaps wearing a wig too long during the day. But I have tried everything from monistat, MTG, surge, clarifying, and protein treatments...you name it! I considering getting corn rows and religously use mtg and surge...b/c after using surge and mtg for about a month or two...and not seeing results, I gave up on it. And it's gotten so bad that my mother has asked me to get rogaine.....and that last thing I want to admit to myself is that my hair efforts are in vain..b/c I do weekly washes, deep conditioning, clarifying, and pre-poo protein treatments.

any more suggestions ladies????

dynamic1

You say the hair is shorter. What about density? Is it thinning in that area? Have you seen a medical professional? Take this step before you try rogaine.

texasqt

Be cautious when using rogaine. A woman I know used it and it made her hair worse off. She said it was because it's to be used for those who are balding or thinning in the direction of becoming bald and not just experiencing heavy breakage or shedding. It's not a regular "growth" treatment and if you are not balding or thinning real bad you may want to check out with your docter first or try some alternatives because it may do more harm than help. Rogaine is typically used to treat hereditary balding.

My aunt used tea tree oil on her scalp daily and it brought her thinning hair back in nicely. That's the only alternative I can think of that you haven't already tried along with patience. Nothing is going to change over night but if you stick with something for at least a month you should see results.

Good Luck!!! and keep us updated!

virgo_chinwe

Thanks ladies for the words of advice! I have seen a professional..and from what they see from my scalp...my scalp is healthy and clean. I was also told just to be patient...but for how long... is my question. But I will definitely try to stick with what I have been doing....and try the tea tree oil!

Thanks again!

Aveena

virgo_chinwe said:
Thanks ladies for the words of advice! I have seen a professional..and from what they see from my scalp...my scalp is healthy and clean. I was also told just to be patient...but for how long... is my question. But I will definitely try to stick with what I have been doing....and try the tea tree oil!

Thanks again!

I've used rogaine b4 and while it worked for me.... when I stopped using it I lost my progress... in otherwords once you start you can't stop or else you will lose the hair that was grown by it. I g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y switched to EVOO and peppermint oil. Since the switch I've had good results and don't have to worry about losing my progress if I slack off a bit.

zailless

Hi,
I know this might not be what you want to hear but I have a bald patch too that i am struggling with. What i have decided to do instead of use the steroids from my derm, is to nourish my scalp and use oils that are healing. I bought lavender, tee trea oil and got some black castor oil. i know black castor oil can heal the scalp like other oils can like coconut oil and olive, emu and so on. i personally prefer the castor oil cause i have always used it. I did a bit of research and found out why castor oil can heal (rinoleic acid). once you have hair at the site where you have breakage, it can grow. dont use rogaine. try mixing some natural oils if you believe in them or see your derm. Good luck.