To Straighten or Not to Straighten?

A.Marie

Hi Ladies,

I really value your opinions and advice. I have a three year old daughter. Is it too early to straighten her hair with a ceramic flat iron or even a pressing comb? If so, when is the best time to start?

Thanks in advance!!!

IMO, I would not use heat on her head. What would be the reason to straighten a 3-year old girl's hair?

Personally, I think she is a little young for straightened hair. My daughter is also 3 and at this point, I would say that really isn't a necessary look on her, but that is just my own personal opinion. My older daughter who is almost 9 is allowed to get her hair straightened on special occasions only. That started probably when she was about 7. Maybe the other ladies will give you better feedback because I may be a little old fashion.:look: ;)

Guyaneek said:
Personally, I think she is a little young for straightened hair. My daughter is also 3 and at this point, I would say that really isn't a necessary look on her, but that is just my own personal opinion. My older daughter who is almost 9 is allowed to get her hair straightened on special occasions only. That started probably when she was about 7. Maybe the other ladies will give you better feedback because I may be a little old fashion.:look: ;)

Nah not old fashioned at all. I don't have kids, but I do think 3 is very young for chemicals or heat.

you know, i read these posts and i'm always so torn on how to respond... i got my first relaxer when i was 5 and my sister got hers when she was 4... we never suffered any ill effects until we started doing our own hair in our teen years (too much heat, hairspray, etc)... so my natural response is, if you're going to take care of the baby's hair after you straighten it or introduce it to chemicals, then go for it...

my second inclination, after learning what i've learned on this board, is to say hold out if you can - especially since you never really know how her hair is going to react to either the heat or the chemicals...

ultimately, though, it's up to you... :grin: ... i think it's all about the time you plan to put into your baby's hair after you make your decision...

Andreaetta said:
Hi Ladies,

I really value your opinions and advice. I have a three year old daughter. Is it too early to straighten her hair with a ceramic flat iron or even a pressing comb? If so, when is the best time to start?

Thanks in advance!!!
I wouldn't put heat or chemicals on the hair of a child that young. What texture is your daughter's hair? I think her hair would be fine with a really good moisturizer. I think I was seven when my great aunt started using a pressing comb on my hair, though.

Back