Too Many Textures to go Natural?

dicapr

I've been playing with the idea of going natural. I just don't like the stylist around where I've moved to. I also am inspired by the amount of natural hair I see on this site. Today I called and canceled my appointment for a touch up. Here's the problem. I have about 3 different textures in my hair from curly to kinky. Will I be able to blend the textures after I go natural so that I can wear my hair out?

so1913

I have multiple textures on my hair as well. The key is learning to work with them. I found that the proper cut (with the various textures of my hair in mind when done) was a necessity for me to be able to wear my hair out. You will see that my front top/middle of my hair is looser in texture (loose curls/waves/frizz) than the back (strong, tighter curls, less frizz), and my front hairline/edges on the sides are more kinky. You will also learn by playing around with different products and stlying methods. It all comes about with experiment and experience with your natural hair.

divya

You and I are in a similar place. I am going back and forth with the 'natural' idea too. However, dealing with the different textures on my head may be an issue. Being texturized does work well for me but i am really in the middle on this one.

AFashionSlave

A lot of naturals are like that.

Here is an old close up pic of my hair texture.
There are few curls on top and naps right below it.

You can't really judge the texture of your hair until you go without a relaxer for a few months. Some people have scab hair. My hair was a completely different hair texture when i first went natural. I had to cut it off twice when I first went natural. My scab hair was really tough to get through. Some ladies even have straight scab hair.

My suggestion to you is to not worry about the two textures.

firecracker

You can do it. Not many people have one consistent texture anyways.

I think the beauty of being natural is the varied textures.:lol: Maybe I feel this way because I bc'd and intially went natural with the goal of rocking a funky wild afro one day.

Good luck on whatever decision you make. Going natural is a loving and great experience. Its so much fun experimenting with different products and if have time you can rock different fun styles. I'm hair lazy but I hope your not. You gotta share your journey no matter what hair you have on that beautiful head gurl. ;)

Last edited:

Proudpiscean

firecracker said:
You can do. Not many people have one consistent texture anyways.

I think the beauty of being natural is the varied textures.:lol: Maybe I feel this way because I bc'd and intially went natural with the goal of rocking a funky wild afro one day.

Good luck on whatever decision you make. Going natural is a loving and great experience. Its so much fun experimenting with different products and if have time you can rock different fun styles. I'm hair lazy but I hope your not. You gotta share your journey no matter what hair you have on that beautiful head gurl. ;)

I agree with this! seeing all the beautiful, diverse heads of natural hair on LHCF is part of what helped me decide to go natural! I,too, think that having different textures of hair on the same head is what gives it it's character, it's a beautiful thing.....embrace it! :)

Cheleigh

I agree with Firecracker and the other posters too. I have 3 very distinct and noticable hair textures or curl patterns: kinky, spongy and wave/straight/corkscrewy curls up front; kinky cottony coils in the middle; kinky/silkier hair with slightly looser coils on the sides and back. :ohwell:

I don't even worry about it. As Tim Gunn says, I just have to "make it work." :lol:

Cichelle

I have more than one hair texture, too. (And I had scab hair when I first chopped just as AFashionSlave mentioned.) I have learned how to work with my hair and now the different textures are not even an issue. If that is the only thing stopping you from going natural, then maybe you should give it a try. Either way, HHG!

dicapr

Thanks everyone. I am 3 months post relaxer and I do think I have some scab hair. In certain sections the hair at the roots seems to be softer than the other newgrowth. I think I will start my transition. I'll see how it goes. I just don't want to be dependant on a chemical anymore. My hair can take a relaxer just fine, I'm just don't want to do it anymore. If I desire straight hair, I'll just press and curl like I used to.

hopeful

You just have to be patient and learn how to work with your hair. The more textures the more patience required IMO. The longer it gets I think the textures start to blend better. Good luck.

lsubabiedee

From what i've seen over the years, having different textures is quite normal. A good cut can help with the shape and blending.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
AFashionSlave said:
A lot of naturals are like that.

Here is an old close up pic of my hair texture.
There are few curls on top and naps right below it.

You can't really judge the texture of your hair until you go without a relaxer for a few months. Some people have scab hair. My hair was a completely different hair texture when i first went natural. I had to cut it off twice when I first went natural. My scab hair was really tough to get through. Some ladies even have straight scab hair.

My suggestion to you is to not worry about the two textures.

That is *exactly* what my hair looks like :eek: if you part my hair in the middle from ear to ear the front part is 3b/3c....the back part is 4/a :perplexed

My daughter's hair is 3a/3b with the 3a being in the front, sides and the nape...her crown is 3b. :look: