Too Much Manipulation?

Porsche19

Is this too much manipulation?

Begginning with my typical wash day, I condition wash/shampoo and deep condition... not using a comb to do any of them, I use my fingers.

Then I apply my leave in and oil products, making parts with a rat tail comb. I comb through my hair with a wide toothed comb section by section, starting from the ends,then I twist it up. This is the only time that I comb throroughly through all of my hair... after deep conditioning.

After that, I fingercomb it in the mornings. At nights, I dampen my hair and retwist it, I comb through mainly the ends a little (maybe 2-3 strokes with my wide toothed comb) before I twist each section.

Is that too much combing/manipulation?

How do people mkae twistouts stay looking good without retwisting them? If I wear a scarf, it looks flat in the morning. I would clip my hair up, but I would still have to wear a scarf or something over it... even if I wore a bonnet just me laying on it will flatten it out.

Isis

Porsche19 said:

Begginning with my typical wash day, I condition wash/shampoo and deep condition... not using a comb to do any of them, I use my fingers.

Then I apply my leave in and oil products, making parts with a rat tail comb. I comb through my hair with a wide toothed comb section by section, starting from the ends,then I twist it up. This is the only time that I comb throroughly through all of my hair... after deep conditioning.

After that, I fingercomb it in the mornings. At nights, I dampen my hair and retwist it, I comb through mainly the ends a little (maybe 2-3 strokes with my wide toothed comb) before I twist each section.

How do people mkae twistouts stay looking good without retwisting them? If I wear a scarf, it looks flat in the morning. I would clip my hair up, but I would still have to wear a scarf or something over it... even if I wore a bonnet just me laying on it will flatten it out.
I only comb with a wide tooth comb while my hair is wet to comb my conditioner through and to detangle on wash day. After that, no more combing (I don't own a brush).

It's true that satin or silk scarves will flatten the hair (I use that technique on purpose to flatten my newgrowth). I must rebraid my hair at night if I'm wearing a braidout. I don't comb my hair before rebraiding though - it isn't necessary.

frankie

If your hair is not breaking or shedding excessively then I'd say no it isn't too much manipulation. You have to do what works for your hair. As an avid braidout wearer, I also find that tying my hair up in my do rag or even sleeping in a hair bonnet flattens out my hair. I discovered that sleeping on the hair without tying it up works best for me...I discovered this after passing out before going through my night time routine. So now if I want to wear the braidout without rebraidng, I sleep on my satin pillow case and fluff it in the morning. I am careful to put my bonnet on it and a shower cap over that before I shower so as not to lossen the curl/wave pattern.

I need to buy a digital camera so I can start taking progress pics. Then I'll post a few pictures of my braidouts. I like my hair to be a lot more curly then most of the braidouts I've seen on the board thus far, so he curls still look good on day two, I've even went to day three without too much definition loss in the curl.

But when I braid the hair up I always wear a do rag.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
frankie said:
If your hair is not breaking or shedding excessively then I'd say no it isn't too much manipulation. You have to do what works for your hair.
I AGREE! :)

Shatani

Porsche19 said:

i dunno...it doesnt sound like too much manipulation to me....when i wear a twist out i dont manipulate it at all...but my hair holds on to a twistout for a loooong time...i just sleep in a snood and wet it in the morning and its good as new (most of the time better than new)....it makes sense to retwist it at night cause its best now to sleep with your hair loose, so i dont think thats a bad idea for you... although, i wouldnt comb it before retwisting it at night...

Porsche19

Thanks for the advice guys :)

I'll try to stop combing it when I retwist it and see what happens.

The reason that I feel the need to comb through my hair is because my hair is texturized, it gets nappy and tangles a little bit. It's also why I can't wet my hair to refresh the twistout without twisting it up again because it'll revert.

I don't have excessive breaking or shedding, just trying to perfect my hair care regimen so that I can post pretty pictures like all of you out there! :)