Touch-Up After 12 Weeks - LONG

JerseyGirl

I was scheduled to get my hair braided this weekend but I cancelled my appointment after reading HoneyRockette's post.

I went 12 weeks without a touch-up. So I went to my Dominican Salon on Sunday. I based my scalp, put Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter on my ends and took my Dudley's Hair Rebuilder and off I went. Lucky for me there was hardly anyone in the place. It took two stylist and two Affirm relaxers to touch-up this head. I was told by the stylist that I had 2 1/2 inches worth of new growth in the center of my head and 2 inches every place else. They worked fast so the relaxer would not stay on my head for a long length of time. They wash, deep conditioned and next was the trim. I thought that she was going to cut off at least an 1 inch of hair but she told me NO! Your hair is very healthy (thanks Adrienne for the S-Curl Method - and of course, the rest of you ladies for hair advice) and that I just needed very little trimmed off to make it more even. I asked is there any damage? NO. Is my ends split? NO. I had noticed that my ends were getting frizzy during the past two weeks and what I thought was damaged ends or split was not. I asked why was my ends so frizzy and she said because I went weeks without any heat (I have been airdrying my hair - No Flat Iron, No Curling Iron, No Blow Dryer, No Roller Setting) and the ends are the oldest part of your hair and they are use to the heat. The ends of my hair were carving for heat. (I don't know how true this is - but is what she said so I am just passing it along.)

They roller set me and wrapped my hair. A grand total of $50 bucks. I immediately went to Sally's to cash in my $200 American Express Gift Certificate my bosses gave me for Christmas and bought Jilbere Ceramic Flat Iron and Caruso Steam Rollers. I went home and took out my wrapped hair and couldn't believe how thick my hair was. I used the flat iron (by the way, the flat iron is the BOOM) and my hair was so soft and bouncy and grew 2 inches. Just 4 more inches to bra strap level.

When my husband came home, his eyes popped and said WOW, look how long your hair is.

I really wanted to get those braids (twist) but I am glad that I didn't. Just thought you would want to know.

G

2 1/2 inches of new growth after 12 weeks without a touch-up???

What are your secrets? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

azul11

wow that is some good news. i am glad your hair is growing. i think a lot of ladies have gotten discouraged and the weather hasnt been helping either but i think taking a breather and just trying not to do anything too drastic will work. by the way how much was the jibere flat iron? how does the hair builder work? i am thinking of using it before i get my braids in. is it a leave in or a wash out? congrats on your hair success. God bless you all.

Dandy112

Hey JerseyGirl,

Thank you for the positive story with your hair and keep up the good work, I needed to hear that, I was feeling a little down myself about my hair but I have to keep remembering BE PATIENT!!!!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

JerseyGirl

The Jilbere Ceramic Flat Iron was $39.99 with a free Ion Anti-Friz Leave In Conditioner. It is definitely worth it.

Dudley's Hair Rebuilder is a Penetrating Conditioner. Rebuilds badly damaged hair, it detangles, builds body and soften and reduce static. You can use with heat or without. I love this stuff. I alternate between Dudley's and Mizani Mositurefuse.

moni

that is so great. congratulations. everytime i try to not perm my hair for more than six weeks everyone in my family gets excited. they nag and nag until i finally give in and get a perm. I'm only 19 so parents still know what's best...right?

G

I'm 19 years old too, and of course they don't! But, I get touch-ups every 6-8 weeks, and that is the suggested time, so you're cool. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Robin41

Good for you my Jersey sistah! Was that Debbie's in New Brunswick you went to? I'm gonna have to give them a try.

I was trying really hard to NOT buy the Jilbere flat iron but it's calling me.

Keep that positive energy flowing girl.

azul11

thanks. i think i should start using it to build my hair up for when i am getting braids. God bless you all.

NayNay

Congrats on the hair growth! I (believe it or not) have never had extensions, but GIRRRLLLLL I want some now.
I am almost to 12 weeks without a relaxer and I am starting to lose the battle. I am tired of wearing my hair pulled back and want to give my hairline a break. I don't use heat at all (not even to sit under hair dryer) and my hair is very thick and acting unruly. Usually my hair is okay but on this stint my hair is tripping but it may be due to the lack of moisture & winter. I think I have about 2.5 inches of new growth at least, but it is hard to tell cause my hair textures (like most of us) is different in various areas. I thought my pattern is an S but in some areas I my new growth is clustered together and curling up...I am so confused, but that is what makes life worth living. Congrats girl and I can't wait I have about 1.5 week to wait!

Ennyaa

*Doin my happy dance*

Go Jersey... It's ya birfday... I'm gonna party like... It's ya birfday!!

I'm SO happy for you! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif I LOVE positive stories like this. You got me all anxious cuz my 12 weeks will be up for my texturizer on Feb 1st and I can't wait to see my stylist's reaction to the growth and health of my hair. See I TOLD you them frizzy ends didn't necessarily mean they were split. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif I get them anytime I air dry.

Now what salon was this, cuz I'm in NJ too.

JerseyGirl

Ennyaa and Robin - My Jersey Girls. The salon is Debby's Beauty Salon in New Brunswick. They are open 7 days a week. They use Affirm, Mizani, Motions and Revlon. They did my perm and I have no scabs or burns. I went to Joseph's to get a perm and paid double for a bunch of scabs and marks.

$16 for a wash and set
$20 for a wash, set and deep conditioner
$25 for a wash, set, deep conditioner and flat twist
$45 and up for a touch-up

I never had to wait no more than 5 minutes before being served. They have no attitudes and speak very good English. They are not the greatest but you do get your money worth. Everytime I leave this place, I am totally satisfied. I have paid more and left with a lump in my throat.

NayNay

I want to retract my statement. I am not HATING on my new growth. My hair is thick and that is that. I am PROUD & THANKFUL for having thick hair and ain't nothing WRONG with it. I wish I could sport 2 braids to work cause I sure would and have all natural hair. BUT I retract it..I am happy to have thick hair (or hair at all) and I AM loving my 3 months of new growth. I have thought about going natural, but don't have the patience or the guts at the time, but I regress!!!!

garr6982

Congrats on your length without trimming /images/graemlins/grin.gif!

What a blessing that you actually found a place where they will be truthful about trimming and not just trim for the heck of it!! I have only heard of a few who will actually confess that your ends are okay when you know you have taking care of them. I think they are either programmed to just trim ends or they don't recognize uneven hair growth/fuzzy ends from split ends!

When I did a deviation of Adrienne's method about 2 years ago (wash, activator, bun, no heat) for one year, my hair grew like crazy with no damaged ends! I am also trying this with my natural hair, contrary to Mr. Johns school of thought /images/graemlins/wink.gif! So far so good according to me and my stylist!

Now if I can just find a ponytail with my natural hair texture. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

nita4

Congrats JerseyGirl on your growth!! As always you are an inspiration.

NayNay, I totally undersand I'm on week 11 of 13 and I would go natural too, but I just really don't have the patience or guts either.

free2bme

Congrats Jersey Girl, I did a wash and doobie at Debbies last weekend and they did a decent job. However I will be going to TNT for my touch-up. After my last experience at Josephs I'm a bit chicken to experiment with my chemical applications. I will continue to use Debbi for my washes $18 bucks, u can't beat that!

HOTCHOCOLATE

You go JerseyGirl /images/graemlins/grin.gif,

My hair is in twists, now. I'll be taking them out around Feb. 24. Question, How long did you wait after you took your braids out b4 you retouched?

JerseyGirl

Nita 4 - Here is my regime:

I wash my hair twice a week. Once at the Dominican Salon and 3 days later at home. The products that I use are:

Nexxus Therappe Shampoo
Dudley's Hair Rebuilder - Protein Conditioner
Mizani Moisturefuse - Moisturizing Conditioner
(I alternate these products)
I always, always deep condition my hair with these products by using a heating cap.

After 6 to 8 weeks, when the stylist saids "Mommy, you need a perm". Thats when I start doing it myself. I wash my hair the same as above and I do the following:

After I wash my hair, I use a combination of different oils. MegaCare Products - Vitamin E, Jojoba Oil, Olive Oil, Shea Butter, also Kemi Oly and WGO. I use a little of each and put onto my wet hair and I also use them daily. After which, I use S-Curl Activator and put my hair in a scrunchie and put Carol's Daughter Healthy Butter on my hair with a plastic baggie. I get the plastic baggie (looks like ziploc) at the 99 cents store. AIRDRY ONLY. I attach my ponytail and go. Its quick and easy. With the help of the S-Curl, it never looked like I needed a perm. The S-Curl made my hair look wavy. ALSO, get a wide, wide tooth comb.

JerseyGirl

Hotchocolate - I didn't get the twist like I originally wanted to. I chickened out. I just worn my hair in the S-Curl Method for 12 weeks.

Nita 4 - I forgot to mention. I use Nexxuss Emergencee every 4 weeks followed by Mizani Moisturefuse.

Ennyaa

You gonna make me invest in some Carol's Daughter when my hair gets a little longer and I stop wearing braids. I always wanted to try the Hair Honey since I saw it on this girl's site. But I wonder about the Butter now since you like it and I think we both have the "Frizzy-ends" syndrome.

lol @ "Mommy, you need a perm"

kasey

Congratulations JerseyGirl on your hair success!

Garr, could you describe your routine with the S-Curl activator with your natural hair? How do you style your hair?

--kc

honeycomb719

I must say JersayGirl your an inspiration, I'm 3 weeks away from my 12week touch-up,and I can only pray that my results are similar to yours /images/graemlins/smile.gif But, I will remain optimistic. Even if I don't gain the inches you have, I will remain patient. Not too sure how my hair will react to this long wait between touch-ups. I just recently this past Nov. went back to relaxing after a 4 year absence, before then when I was relaxing I didn't take good care of my hair, but you ladies here are much needed motivation, to a girl who once thought her hair couldn't grow /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Keep up the good work!!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Relaxed 4a Thin hair:
Current Length: Different lengths, Front: 3-4inches, Sides: just under earlobes, Back: 1/2inche past base of neck. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Goal: Even Healthy Shoulder length

sweetcocoa

Congratulations on your growth. My ends are starting to dry(the winter)I may have to try and get me a ponytail(or a 'girlfriend' as my cousin calls her's) and give my ends a rest. I'm in need of a trim but I'm unable to find someone I trust. I'm happy your hair is doing so well.

Ebony

hi, jerseygirl. i noticed you mentioned that even your hubby said your hair was thicker. is it not thick naturally and can you tell us what you think helped with making it thicker? thanks for sharing girl. i will never forget how gorgeous adrienne's hair looked after she shared that ponytail method with us. oh, sorry, why was it suggested that you not get braids like you started to?

LondonDiva

Congrats on your 2.5 inches and your 12 week stretch. I'm going to do mine this weekend as I can't even stretch an extra week till my 2 month touch up. I'll take that as a good sign.