Touched by The Pope's Funeral

Selene

I am not Catholic, although I have friends/family members who are, I am Baptist. Nonetheless, I was very moved by the Pope's funeral. To see so many world leaders and regular folk of different religions in one space today to pay their last respects to a man who stood for peace, love, and love of God was moving. Everyone kept talking about the number of young folks in the crowds, which was amazing. I truly do think that the death of this Pope may bring people back to the Church and reignite their love for the Church.

Not trying to stir up a debate regarding religious doctrine, just an observation.

webby

Think Slim
I hope my commentary does not offend anyone. Please, don't take this personally, just sharing my opinion.

I feel a little guilty for saying this, not sure why, but the pope was no different than any other man, in my eyes. While he may have done great things, I am always careful to remember that my eye should be focused on Jesus and HIS great works. I feel the same way when a celebrity dies and people come out in hords to "honor" them, as if:

1. they knew them personally
2. the person would have given a hoot about them if they were still alive.

Now in the case of the pope, he's very different from a hollywood celebrity, but I often wonder if God would approve of the fanfare. I really don't have a great understanding of catholicism, so perhaps that's why it seems unbalanced to me.

Again, I do not mean to offend and I'm open to feedback that might help me see things from a new perspective.

star

I agree. God often uses death to bring life to something. :)
blaxalrose said:
I am not Catholic, although I have friends/family members who are, I am Baptist. Nonetheless, I was very moved by the Pope's funeral. To see so many world leaders and regular folk of different religions in one space today to pay their last respects to a man who stood for peace, love, and love of God was moving. Everyone kept talking about the number of young folks in the crowds, which was amazing. I truly do think that the death of this Pope may bring people back to the Church and reignite their love for the Church.

Not trying to stir up a debate regarding religious doctrine, just an observation.

Laginappe

webby said:
I hope my commentary does not offend anyone. Please, don't take this personally, just sharing my opinion.

I feel a little guilty for saying this, not sure why, but the pope was no different than any other man, in my eyes. While he may have done great things, I am always careful to remember that my eye should be focused on Jesus and HIS great works. I feel the same way when a celebrity dies and people come out in hords to "honor" them, as if:

Now in the case of the pope, he's very different from a hollywood celebrity, but I often wonder if God would approve of the fanfare. I really don't have a great understanding of catholicism, so perhaps that's why it seems unbalanced to me.

Again, I do not mean to offend and I'm open to feedback that might help me see things from a new perspective.

I suppose it depends on your definition of fanfare. Some people believe that any sort of public funeral is over the top – no matter who the deceased is. There’ve been a couple of celebrities that passed over the past year(s) that have directed that no funeral at all or just a family service. So it depends on the wishes of the deceased.

Elaborate funerals aren’t strictly within the Catholic domain – most times when someone who is beloved on any level (be it within their own family, community, religion…) when that person passes its human nature for the most part for those left behind to want to honor them this way. Whether or not God approves – that’s for Him to direct. I think its important to remember that funerals are for the living not the dead. (At least that’s the way I was taught to veiw them). They provide a celebration of a person’s life and an opportunity to pray for and mourn their passing. Funerals can be as much of a joyous occasion as they can be a sad one.

webby

Think Slim
Lag, your response makes a lot of sense. I guess I tend to look at elaborate funerals as a way of "idolizing" the person, rather than realizing that people are just celebrating their lives, their accomplishments.

Vintagecoilylocks

Actually the funeral has consisted mostly of scriptures and the promises of Christ. There was only a very short reading of how he heard the call and began his journey as a worker for Christ in the recgonized position as clergy and not a lay person. People want to say good bye to those they love and admire. As plain as Mennonites and Amish are there funerals often have several Greyhound bus loads of people from all over. Clergy of many churches, other Christians and aquaintances from the whole community. I was just remebering one this morning when I came home from work and saw John Paul's casket. It is just like the one used at this one funeral of a mennoite boy though his had a simple peace of black cloth draped. It literally stopped the traffic and buisness or our area and small community. The line of buggys was amazing. The silence was so gripping yet peaceful. So many came to give their love and support to the family and to celabrate his souls journey to Christ. They came from other states by the bus loads. Hundreds of them. To say goodbye.

webby

Think Slim
blaxalrose said:
Like I said I wasn't trying to stir up a debate, I just simply thought it was moving to see that many people at an event for a religious leader. Of course when a celebrity passes, there will be many fans and admirers around. I just thought it made a statement that so many people were moved given that this world is so secular now. That's just my comment.
Blax, I didn't mean to come off as if I was throwing darts, or anything negative...just sharing how I feel. Please, don't take it that way...you should know I'm not that type of person.

star

I think they do this because he was apostle that follow after first apostle of Peter in the Bible. Rome represents the foundations of the first churches. I am not a catholic but it was what the Pope stood for since he was world leader especially in his country. He could be looked at President Bush here in our country but they two diffrent types of messages. The Pope represent peace, love and hope that was his ONLY message to the world. Often people like Martin Luther King Jr. and so many others God will allow the country(s) to mourn for someone who represented the Kingdom of God and who had so many people who looked up to them. The Pope gave his whole life in serving God in not getting married and of so many other things he sacrafice even before he became the Pope. The people who make their lives a TOTAL sacrafice to God stand out a little than us who choose to work, get married and serve God through our family and community. I espciallay touched by this because it brought toghether all sorts of leaders who put down their differences and came together as one. Lastly, I think when anyone dies it is a great lost but the more lives a person impacts through their love and message people feel indebted to them and must say their final respects. They have even buried the Pope right next to Apostle Peter who has died so many years ago. :)
webby said:

Country gal

I have heard people say similar things about the Pope that Webby has said. I think people do feel that catholics do too much idolizing. I agree with the star that he was a religious leader that stood for God. It is wonderful to see so many people pay this religious man so much respect. He is not on the level of Jesus. Nor did he think he was. I would think Gandi (sp) would have gotten the same outcry of respect. Even though he was a Catholic leader, so many people were touched by his dedication (sp) to the church. I loved the simplicity of his ceremony today. It was lovely and not over the top.

webby

Think Slim
sbaker said:
I think people do feel that catholics do too much idolizing.
Yes. That's what I expected, but not just with his passing, with most people in the public eye.

After reading the responses here, I have a better understanding and actually wish I had not missed it.

Country gal

webby said:
Yes. That's what I expected, but not just with his passing, with most people in the public eye.

After reading the responses here, I have a better understanding and actually wish I had not missed it.

Believe me they will be playing it all day. :lol: I understand what you mean but in this instance at least it is a religious leader. Someone that stood for God.

vevster

I wonder how all the children molested by Catholic priests are feeling about the POPE that basically looked the other way, and moved their abusers to other parishes to abuse yet MORE children...

Keen

Vester, I really don't know how much the Pope knew about this issue while it was going on. I'm sure he knew something but I can't really say what he should have Church leaders in the US should take responsibility for these things. When we start pointing fingers all the way to the Pope on issues that can be resolved on a regional level, the issues get lost somewhere in translation. I wouldn't be surprise if the leaders of the Church in the U.S. sugarcoat the situarion to the Pope. I'm not trying to make excuses for him but for any of the Church leaders to wait on the Pope to tell them what to do in the child molestation issue is to look for an excuse not to address the real issues.

stcsweet

I'm not Catholic, either and I also found that the funeral WAS very moving. I was glued to the TV for the last 1/2 hour (as I didn't wake up in time to see the other parts). It was just amazing!

Nyambura

surfer girl
vevster said:
I wonder how all the children molested by Catholic priests are feeling about the POPE that basically looked the other way, and moved their abusers to other parishes to abuse yet MORE children...
I'm not going to sugarcoat this. I think it stinks that Bernard Law, the Cardinal who knowingly relocated sexual predators to other parishes, was chosen to lead one of the Masses following the Pope's funeral. :mad: What has he done to repent? Did he turn himself over to the US criminal justice system to face the consequences of his reprehensible deeds? What has he done to advocate for the rights of those children? or initiate reform within the Church to prevent actions like his from being repeated? It's sickening.

ETA: Blaxal, I too found the Pope's funeral moving and I don't want to take away from the positive intent of your thread. It's just that Vevster brought up a point about which I also feel strongly - sorry to take it OT.

Last edited:

Country gal

The Pope has to oversee the Global Catholic church. The American Catholic Church is the one with the problems with child molestation. The Pope did not support the wrongs of the church. ALso, Cardinals are like Vice Presidents in the church. The Cardinal should not have condoned the molestation by moving priests to other juridications.

vevster said:

Nyambura

surfer girl
blaxalrose said:
Ok, I am a mad that you all hijacked my thread...lol.

I don't see what the child molestation charges have to do with the Pope's funeral. Sorry, I just don't. No one is condoning what has gone on with the American Church. No one.

I don't think the Catholic church is the only church sadly, that suffers from such folks in their midst. Remember the story with the black church in Atlanta where the old guy was beating the children and having sex with young girls? Or what about the guys in Utah marrying 12 and 13 year olds? Shoot or what about the boy scouts? There are a lot of problems SADLY in our society.

Like I said, I wasn't trying to stir up anything negative with my thread, there's enough negativity in the world today. I am not even Catholic, but the Pope's funeral and religious out pouring touched me and my life at a time that hasn't been so great for me.

But everyone has their views, I respect that.

ITA with what you said about the negativity and the fact that the Catholic church has not cornered the market on evil behavior. As a Catholic, I've made the same arguments myself. I wish it were true that no one was condoning what Cardinal Law was doing regarding the molestations, but I don't think your thread is the place to be rehashing the Vatican's actions around that. I too found the Pope's funeral and the religious/emotional outpouring touching. I'm sorry to read that life has not been so great for you at this time, blaxalrose, but I'm glad the Pope's funeral was something that touched you too. I appreciate all of the positive posts you've made regarding Catholics and I know your intent was entirely different from the direction some of us took. Again, I apologize for my part in what was clearly a different intent in starting this thread. And I hope things turn around for you soon. I'm wishing you well.

Last edited: