Transition failure.............

amazin9

I decided to transition my hair after having cut it down to a "Halle cut". I found this board after my hair was already in distress. The tips from this board helped it grow, but the ends of my hair were still thin; so I cut it short. Since it was short already I figured this was a good time to transition!! Well, it has been 7 months and I just can't control the hair anymore!!.....:( I have medium density hair but very fine strands and they curl around each other and make knots!!! I am so frustrated!! I thought I was doing the best for my hair, but now I am not sure. I look on the board and I see beautiful heads of both relaxed and natural hair and that is what I want too....:cry3: My decision to transition was because of my failure to find a good stylist, stylists who over straighten my hair, and them just being unprofessional period. Now I am confused as to what relaxer to use to texturize my hair. I have learned from the board that I will not relax 100% ever again. Are there any suggestions for mild lye relaxers for fine 4a hair? I have tried Photorelaxer and it was very drying to my hair. Any and all help is greatly apprectiated!!!........:)

RabiaElaine

Do you still have relaxed ends? I would think after 7 months that you would have enough growth for an afro. If you do still have relaxed ends, maybe that's what's causing the problems.

amazin9

RabiaElaine said:
Do you still have relaxed ends? I would think after 7 months that you would have enough growth for an afro. If you do still have relaxed ends, maybe that's what's causing the problems.

I only have a very small portion of relaxed hair in the top of my head. I am having a problem with moisture. I can only conditioner wash right now because my natural hair doesn't like shampoo. I have been wearing cornrows, but I am just frustrated right now.

mscounselor

Well if you only have a little bit of relaxed ends left then maybe its time you cut it off and start being fully natural. Maybe get some two strand twists or braids.
I think its common to have a hard time trying to find a regimen for your hair during transition. Its also common to feel frustrated. Its how you handle it from now on is key.
If you decide to texturize make sure you are doing it because thats your ultimate goal and not out of frustration.

tastesosweet

mscounselor said:
Well if you only have a little bit of relaxed ends left then maybe its time you cut it off and start being fully natural. Maybe get some two strand twists or braids.
I think its common to have a hard time trying to find a regimen for your hair during transition. Its also common to feel frustrated. Its how you handle it from now on is key.
If you decide to texturize make sure you are doing it because thats your ultimate goal and not out of frustration.

I would agree. Start over and wear a protective style like braids or twists if you don't want to rock a short look. I grew my own hair out in this way after cutting it almost to the scalp due to overprocessing.

http://public.fotki.com/tastesosweet/

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
You may just need to get it cut into a nice shape and wear scarves or headbands for a while until it gets longer. If you have been relaxing for a while sometimes the texture you first get is more difficult to manage (scab hair), then it gets easier as your softer texture emerges. You also have to do a mental adjustment and not expect your natural hair to behave like relaxed or treat it like relaxed hair. It sounds like you are already making that adjustment recognizing that the shampoo isnt working out. Myhoneychild.com and qhemetbiologics.com have nice products that will moisturize your hair. Try out some of the samples. Qhemet was the first products I could get my natural hair to respond to.