Transition from Telax to Natural

Chanel's Tresses

I need some help from the girls out there that have transitioned from telax to natural. My hair is still curly while telaxed so I am wondering will I eventually have to big chop? For the girls out there that have made the transition any tips or support would be appreciated. My last telax was around Apriil 15th. I figure since I stretch for so long I may as well go completly natural since I now know how to take care of my hair better (thanks to LHCF :D ).

glamazon386

Yes you will. Texlaxed hair is still chemically treated hair like a relaxer. You can either grow it out (transition) and then bc. Or just bc. The texture might look similar but the two will fight where they meet.

Chanel's Tresses

bmoreflyygirl said:
Yes you will. Texlaxed hair is still chemically treated hair like a relaxer. You can either grow it out (transition) and then bc. Or just bc. The texture might look similar but the two will fight where they meet.

Have you transitioned this way before? If so during the transition what was your regimen. Just wondering because I normally don't have a big problem with the difference in texture even 4-6 months post telax. The telax usually just makes it easier when I want to wear my hair straight.

turnergirl

I was never intentionally texlaxed but my hair was never completely relaxed straight so I can be of some help. You will definitely have to chop but I think it may be a little easier to disguise the different textures seeing as though your hair is not bone straight.

imstush

I actually don't see a reason why you will have to bc. As long as you take proper care of your hair, protein, moisturize etc. I would think that transitioning from texlax to natural would be fairly easier on your texture as opposed to transitioning from bone straight to natural. JMHO.

BTW, this is my umpteenth time transitioning, good luck. And check out the Transitioners thread.

MrsHouston

imstush said:
I actually don't see a reason why you will have to bc. As long as you take proper care of your hair, protein, moisturize etc. I would think that transitioning from texlax to natural would be fairly easier on your texture as opposed to transitioning from bone straight to natural. JMHO.

BTW, this is my umpteenth time transitioning, good luck. And check out the Transitioners thread.

I agree w/ what she said. I stretched for about 27 weeks and texlaxed the new growth. the only difference was that the hair was more managable, but basicly the same. I guess texlaxing differs for many of us. I only left my texture softner on for 10 mins & added olive oil to the mixture w/o any straightness. my new found new growth is not a significant difference for a BC. You have to assess your own two hair textures, as everyone's texture is different. Not all texlaxed hair looks like relaxed hair, as mine looks natural if I don't flatiron.

Chanel's Tresses

MrsHouston said:
I agree w/ what she said. I stretched for about 27 weeks and texlaxed the new growth. the only difference was that the hair was more managable, but basicly the same. I guess texlaxing differs for many of us. I only left my texture softner on for 10 mins & added olive oil to the mixture w/o any straightness. my new found new growth is not a significant difference for a BC. You have to assess your own two hair textures, as everyone's texture is different. Not all texlaxed hair looks like relaxed hair, as mine looks natural if I don't flatiron.

Thanks for your input. Yeah my hair is about the same the only noticable diff for me is the new growth is somewhat thicker but it is still soft and wavy like the rest. My hair is not straight at all not even the ends. Mine looks natural until I flat iron or rollerset. By the way your hair is beautiful.:)

mkstar826

supersonic
If you want to be completely natural, then yes at some point you will have to cut the texlaxed ends off. But it doesn't have to be immediately, you can grow out your natural hair and then do it...

MrsHouston

Chanel's Tresses said:
Thanks for your input. Yeah my hair is about the same the only noticable diff for me is the new growth is somewhat thicker but it is still soft and wavy like the rest. My hair is not straight at all not even the ends. Mine looks natural until I flat iron or rollerset. By the way your hair is beautiful.:)

Thanks, your hair is beautiful.

divya

Chanel's Tresses said:
I need some help from the girls out there that have transitioned from telax to natural. My hair is still curly while telaxed so I am wondering will I eventually have to big chop? For the girls out there that have made the transition any tips or support would be appreciated. My last telax was around Apriil 15th. I figure since I stretch for so long I may as well go completly natural since I now know how to take care of my hair better (thanks to LHCF :D ).

Depends on your hair and the degree that your hair is chemically treated. I am transitioning from texlaxed/texturized hair to natural. It's been breaking but moreso from the rinse i put in around January of this year. You may end up wanting to big chop but you can wait probably wait until your hair is around shoulder length to get rid of the relaxed hair or just trim little by little.

gharp001

I just finish transitioning for a year with a very mild relaxer. I wore wash & go's, so that the two different textures blended in pretty well together. I would trim my hair every couple of months or so. My hair is very thin/fine, so I needed to cut off the relaxed ends, you could really see how thin my hair was when I wore it straight otherwise. :lol:

Lioness

Chanel's Tresses said:

ITA. My hair is texlaxed (8 months ago) and I generally can't tell the difference between all the new growth and all the texlaxed hair! I don't think BCing is a neccessity if the two textures are compatible.

malachi74

i think it would matter the degree at which you are tex-laxed. i texlaxed march 31st last year and it damaged my hair badly. i GUESS you could say my version of "transitioning" was cutting an inch off every 2 weeks starting last August. The reason I did that was because I couldn't take the way my hair looked. Although the texlaxed hair was curly and my own hair is about 3c-4a, by the time I got about 4 inches new growth I started to feel really self-conscious about the 2 textures on my head. It looked crazy to me. If you're going to be flat-ironing your hair then it won't lok bad but if you are someone like me (wash-n-go girl) then IMHO you are going to look crazy when you wear your hair curly if you don't BC. lol

glamazon386

Chanel's Tresses said:
Have you transitioned this way before? If so during the transition what was your regimen. Just wondering because I normally don't have a big problem with the difference in texture even 4-6 months post telax. The telax usually just makes it easier when I want to wear my hair straight.

I didn't really transition I just chopped at about 5.5 weeks. I usually touched my relaxer up at the 6 month mark. I did have 6 months of texlaxed hair from my last relaxer and all my hair before that was relaxed but not bone straight. When wet there wasn't much of a different between my texlaxed hair and relaxed hair. But the more my hair grew out it became hard to camoflauge it. I had no choice but to chop or look crazy. I thought that I would have at least been able to hang onto the texlaxed hair to keep some of my length but it looked straighter next to my natural hair. It had to go. I'd say just wait it out as long as you can. Many of the ladies on the board transition for at least a year.

Last edited:

sareca

Pre-LHCF every time I relaxed my hair I transistion back to natural. Back then I had bone straight hair and couldn't wait to chop off the ends (which I did at the end of every year). This time I'm texlaxed and it's much easier to keep the ends, but if wasn't planning to relax again I'd probably just chop 'em at the end of the year.

gradygirl

I was texlaxed and My texlaxed hair and natural hair looked very similar but it did not feel similar at all. My texlaxed hair was much weaker and thinner than my newgrowth. It was not really a problem until about month 4 of my transition. I agree with some of the others in that it probably will depend on your hair type. I finally got tired of fighting with the new growth and chopped at 5 1/2 months.