Transitioners support thread

GodMadeMePretty

Stormy said:
Yes, thank you so much for starting this thread Bubln!

Right now, the only problem I'm having is... there are parts of my hair that my last relaxer didn't get straight at all. And because I wore braids for quite awhile before relaxing, those parts are practically natural already. The area is on one side of my hair in the front, and a small area in the back. You can't tell because I camouflage it pretty good, but I have to work at it. This is rather frustrating. I'm thinking that maybe I should just get it professionally relaxed just one more time to make it all evenly relaxed and then start my transition over. Or, do you think that the rest of my hair will nap up (so to speak) soon enough and match the areas that are already practically natural and I should just leave it alone? I'm about six weeks post relaxer right now.

Any of you ladies ever experience this?

Getting a fresh relaxer is only going to prolong your transition. I think you should just leave your hair alone and see how a longer "relaxer stretch" makes you feel about those areas. The rest of your hair will match up to the part that is already looking natural.

BLESSED1

I've been natural for about a month :yay:

here's what got me through a year of transitioning: throwing away the little bit of box perm I had in the bathroom cabinet (in case I got tempted), rocking a low maintenance 'do (for me it was slick my hair back and pin a fake afro puff over my bun, couldn't even tell I wasn't fully natural yet it blended so well) and, most importantly, PATIENCE!! No more raking a comb through my hair ouch!, those days are over :look:

Stormy

Bublnbrnsuga said:
I think you should leave the underprocessed parts of your hair alone. Don't re-relax them. This would create extra damage. How far along are you in the transition? Are you afraid to BC?

Thanks Bubln! I'm only six weeks into my transition. Yes, I'm afraid to do the BC.

Thanks again! :)

Stormy

Oh hi GodMadeMePretty! Yep, I'm just gonna leave it alone as you and Bubln suggested. At least it's not hard to style right now and I'm not having any breakage.:)

Stormy

GodMadeMePretty said:
Great thread. I transitioned for 1 year and 9 1/2 months. I was going to go for 2 years but my relaxed ends were too frustrating for me. They were tangling and everything and just looked anemic next to my natural hair. Saturday night, I finally chopped off the rest of the ends and my braidout looks 1000000000 times better. I didn't even have to use perm rods on the ends. I'm willing to help anyway that I can although I feel like I'm still feeling my way around because I'm style challenged.

You didn't have to use perm rods on the ends?! Wow! Now that'll be the day! I've been wearing braidouts too, and they look pretty good, but I always have to roll some of the relaxed ends under. :perplexed

thickness

I am so glad you posted this!! I just took my weave out and these straight ends are killing me. I chopped the ones off in the back, but my front is shorter than my back and I'm scared to cut those. I may just go ahead and do it and deal with the consequences, because they really look crazy. Do you have to wet your hair everyday or does your style last more than one day? Will I just have to get used to the fact of wetting my hair everyday or should I re-twist at night?

candibaby

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Oh yes, the K cutter is a must:yep: You seem to be on the right track with only combing your hair when it is wet. I would take it a bit further to lessen your frustration. After you wash your hair, apply a moisturizer and leave in to the hair. Take small sections of your hair and comb each section. You will discover this will leave you less frustrated. I would continue using the DDTA. I would also suggest you do more hot oil treatments in the shower. As for other products, this is a great time to become a product junky because certain products that would work for relaxed hair might not work as well for natural hair.

Do you see a benefit from hot oil treatments? I don't do them because they don't do anything for my hair. But then again.. that was my relaxed hair, so who knows.. thanks

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Thickness- when I was transitioning, I made it my business to stay out of my hair as much as possible. I washed my hair weekly. The styles that I did (braidouts) lasted for quite sometime. Now since I am natural, I can't hardly go a day without spraying some water on my hair!!

Candibaby- I guess I noticed benefits from hot oil treatments, but I really wasn't paying that much attention to it's potential- I was just doing them,but it can't hurt!

balisi

Tasha112 said:
-I only comb my wet hair on wash day (once a week) with k-cutter after rinsing out the conditioner. I comb starting from the ends to the roots after applying John Frieda texture correcting serum and giovanni direct leave-in
Just want to point out that you might want to reconsider the use of John Frieda's serum, or any serum that is silicone based. They make your hair feel good at first, but the silicone builds up on the hair, preventing any moisture from getting through. Removal usually requires harsh shampoos which in turn dry out your hair even more.

TrulyBlessed

balisi said:
Just want to point out that you might want to reconsider the use of John Frieda's serum, or any serum that is silicone based. They make your hair feel good at first, but the silicone builds up on the hair, preventing any moisture from getting through. Removal usually requires harsh shampoos which in turn dry out your hair even more.

Hmm, I will definitely remove this from my regimen and see how things go. Thank you Balisi for pointing this out! ;)

chocolate01

I am in need of a new shampoo. What are some good shampoos that you guys would recommend? I do CW once during the week but I still think I need a good shampoo. TIA

balisi

chocolate01 said:
I am in need of a new shampoo. What are some good shampoos that you guys would recommend? I do CW once during the week but I still think I need a good shampoo. TIA
Hey Choc - I personally like two shampoos from Kiehl's: Castile Shampoo and Amino Acid Shampoo. I prefer to apply them only to my scalp and co-wash the lengths. Another one I like is the Grand Poo Bar from Oyin Handmade. It's actually a bar shampoo made without any harsh detergents. When I need to clarify my length, I'll alternate between Nexxus Aloe Rid and an ACV rinse.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
chocolate01 said:
Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo ;)

Poohbear

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Also the shedding could be due to lack of moisture on the strands.
Thanks for posting this!!! I think this is another reason why I had so much shedding the last time I washed my hair! I waited 2 weeks to wash and never moisturized my hair. I just applied oil to my dry hair and wrapped it every night! No moisture! :shocked:

Now, I've gone back to the bun challenge instead of blowdrying. I will moisturize daily, and I will wash once a week instead of every 2 weeks. :antlers:

Poohbear

Transitioners or Naturals... which Denman brush is really good at detangling coily natural hair???

I feel like the teeth on Jilbere Shower Comb and K-Cutter Comb are too wide to detangle my tiny spirals of new growth.

Is there a Denman Brush out there that would do the job for me???

chocolate01

balisi said:
Hey Choc - I personally like two shampoos from Kiehl's: Castile Shampoo and Amino Acid Shampoo. I prefer to apply them only to my scalp and co-wash the lengths. Another one I like is the Grand Poo Bar from Oyin Handmade. It's actually a bar shampoo made without any harsh detergents. When I need to clarify my length, I'll alternate between Nexxus Aloe Rid and an ACV rinse.

@Balisi: Thanks for the recs. I know i've said this before but I love your hair :love:

@Poohbear: thanks for the rec. I'll have to check some of these out.

Lee

I have been transitioning for about 5 months. My question is. How do you keep your hair laid down in the front.
Last night I con washed my hair w/VO5 Moisture Milk peach flavor. Added my leave in Pantene Light conditioner leave-in. Along with Shea butter and Aloe Vera gel mixed together (ponytail method) and place a scraf on my head and went to bed.
In the morning, I added Hot six oil and a little gel to my sides. Placed the scraf back on my head for 15 min. and needless to say I had little pieces sticking out on the sides. I like my sides to lay down. Is there a solution?

B

Bublnbrnsuga

chocolate01 said:
@Balisi: Thanks for the recs. I know i've said this before but I love your hair :love:

@Poohbear: thanks for the rec. I'll have to check some of these out.

I really don't poo that much,but when I want soapy feeling, I use Creme of Nature. I mainly use ACV rinses monthly,but I clean my hair with conditioner.:yep:

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Lee said:
I have been transitioning for about 5 months. My question is. How do you keep your hair laid down in the front.
Last night I con washed my hair w/VO5 Moisture Milk peach flavor. Added my leave in Pantene Light conditioner leave-in. Along with Shea butter and Aloe Vera gel mixed together (ponytail method) and place a scraf on my head and went to bed.
In the morning, I added Hot six oil and a little gel to my sides. Placed the scraf back on my head for 15 min. and needless to say I had little pieces sticking out on the sides. I like my sides to lay down. Is there a solution?

Lee,maybe your hair was not meant to lay down, ya know? If you want to try something anyway, I would suggest you purchase a gel like Ampro,the brown stuff. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't.

honeisos

Thanks for this thread ....

I'm just wrote about my shrinkage ... it's just so very annoying ... I have been transitioning for 10 months

I pretty much have a lock on control and detangling ... but if anyone has product ideas please post ...
I'm always happy to learn about new products...

alibi

hair bored
Lee,

I actually had the same problem a while back. My sides were so fuzzy, they wouldn't lay down for anything! The ONLY thing I found to work is this stuff called S Curl 360 Style Wave Control Pomade. It's thick like a grease, but it emulsifies in your hand and really lays those sides down. I use it after my CO wash, while my hair is still wet. A combo of Elasta QP mango butter, this, and a little Ampro Clear Ice gel works wonders for my hair!!! You can pick some up at Walgreen's, and it's not expensive at all! Let me know how it works if you decide to get some. ;)

Lee said:

JenJen2721

I just wanted to add a tip for transitioners, (even though I didn't transition officially):

Start buying the accessories, earrings, tools, etc. that you need now.

They'll come in really handy when you're 100% natural. :grin:

It was so nice that I had a few bra-strap headbands to go with outfits once my hair was long enough for one. I bought them a few months before going natural. I wish I would've bought more stuff. Right now I'm having a hard time finding earrings that look nice with the 'fro.

If you start looking for stuff now, you'll save $ by getting things on sale and not out of necessity or desperation.

Leshia

Poohbear said:
Thanks for posting this!!! I think this is another reason why I had so much shedding the last time I washed my hair! I waited 2 weeks to wash and never moisturized my hair. I just applied oil to my dry hair and wrapped it every night! No moisture! :shocked:

Now, I've gone back to the bun challenge instead of blowdrying. I will moisturize daily, and I will wash once a week instead of every 2 weeks. :antlers:

Pooh, how is your hair holding up overall? I'm *still* trying to figure out why it seems so easy for everyone to maintain "control" over their hair months out from a touch-up and I just caved! I'm seriously going to stretch longer than 9 weeks this time and hope for the best. My new growth is thick now and I'm only in my 4th week. Goodness. *sigh*

caligirl

Leshia said:
Pooh, how is your hair holding up overall? I'm *still* trying to figure out why it seems so easy for everyone to maintain "control" over their hair months out from a touch-up and I just caved! I'm seriously going to stretch longer than 9 weeks this time and hope for the best. My new growth is thick now and I'm only in my 4th week. Goodness. *sigh*

I think the point is that you really shouldn't try to "control" natural hair. Once you just let it be curly, wavy, bushy, kinky, whatever, you will be so much happier.

balisi

JenJen2721 said:
I just wanted to add a tip for transitioners, (even though I didn't transition officially):

Start buying the accessories, earrings, tools, etc. that you need now.

They'll come in really handy when you're 100% natural. :grin:

It was so nice that I had a few bra-strap headbands to go with outfits once my hair was long enough for one. I bought them a few months before going natural. I wish I would've bought more stuff. Right now I'm having a hard time finding earrings that look nice with the 'fro.

If you start looking for stuff now, you'll save $ by getting things on sale and not out of necessity or desperation.
Co-signing. This is a great tip!

balisi

caligirl said:
I think the point is that you really shouldn't try to "control" natural hair. Once you just let it be curly, wavy, bushy, kinky, whatever, you will be so much happier.
Very good point! You're a wise woman. :)

Poohbear

Leshia said:
My hair is holding up pretty good for the 7 months I've gone without a relaxer. I just dread wash day.

I just washed my hair today. I couldn't wait a week (til Saturday) to wash it. I had cornrows before I washed, but I think they were irritating my scalp so I went ahead and washed my hair. It took me 30 minutes to detangle my hair tonight. It went much better than last Saturday, but I still had a good amount of shedding and breakage... more breakage this time. I detangled my hair in four sections. For each section, I would detangle mini-sections; it was still a pain. I think it will get a little bit better once I start staying consistent (which I haven't been doing).

Also, I'm thinking the difficulty with detangle has something to do with the K-Cutter. When I start detangling from the ends first, I get knots/tangles out of no where! As I go up, it just gets worse. I think I need a comb that isn't as wide toothed because my hair is fine textured. I notice when I comb thru the new growth ONLY and stop at the demarcation line, it's a breeze! My new growth and relaxed ends are EXTREMELY different in texture (thick & curly new growth, thin & matted relaxed ends).

Anyway, I'm gonna still try to hold out for at least a year (which will be October 7, 2005) before cutting it. Right now, my hair in a bun, which I will wear a phony-pony over it when I have to go somewhere. I need to stick with the bun since it's the easiest and will help me be consistent while I transition to natural without the sudden big chop.

balisi

Poohbear said:
My hair is holding up pretty good for the 7 months I've gone without a relaxer. I just dread wash day.

I just washed my hair today. I couldn't wait a week (til Saturday) to wash it. I had cornrows before I washed, but I think they were irritating my scalp so I went ahead and washed my hair. It took me 30 minutes to detangle my hair tonight. It went much better than last Saturday, but I still had a good amount of shedding and breakage... more breakage this time. I detangled my hair in four sections. For each section, I would detangle mini-sections; it was still a pain. I think it will get a little bit better once I start staying consistent (which I haven't been doing).

Also, I'm thinking the difficulty with detangle has something to do with the K-Cutter. When I start detangling from the ends first, I get knots/tangles out of no where! As I go up, it just gets worse. I think I need a comb that isn't as wide toothed because my hair is fine textured. I notice when I comb thru the new growth ONLY and stop at the demarcation line, it's a breeze! My new growth and relaxed ends are EXTREMELY different in texture (thick & curly new growth, thin & matted relaxed ends).

Anyway, I'm gonna still try to hold out for at least a year (which will be October 7, 2005) before cutting it. Right now, my hair in a bun, which I will wear a phony-pony over it when I have to go somewhere. I need to stick with the bun since it's the easiest and will help me be consistent while I transition to natural without the sudden big chop.
Pooh, I know you don't want to hear (or read) this, but sometimes the battling textures makes the decision for us, and the natural hair will more than likely win. I believe that's really what's going on with your hair right now.

aprilbiz

Great thread! I've been transitioning for about 5 months now. I'm in for the long haul.

One thing that I found that has worked wonders for detangling is Paul Mitchell's "The Detangler." I also use VO5 Balsam and Protein conditioner. It really detangles. I always leave a regular conditioner in my hair. I've even left The Detangler in.

Also, I always comby my hair from the bottom up. I part take is a section at a time and part it at the bottom and comb it out by holding the ends, going from the bottom and working up to the top.

That is one thing that I learned on that infomercial for that stupid Revostyler. Start from the bottom and go up and it's amazing how easy the hair is to comb.

Another product I love now is Optimum Oil Therapy 3-n-1 Creme Oil Moisturizer...feels great after I've washed and conditioned my hair