Transitioners support thread

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
balisi said:
Pooh, I know you don't want to hear (or read) this, but sometimes the battling textures makes the decision for us, and the natural hair will more than likely win. I believe that's really what's going on with your hair right now.
I have no problem hearing/reading anything, hon. ;) I believe what you said too...but are you implying that I should just go ahead and do the daggone thang (that is BIG CHOP!)? :king:

balisi

Poohbear said:
I have no problem hearing/reading anything, hon. ;) I believe what you said too...but are you implying that I should just go ahead and do the daggone thang (that is BIG CHOP!)? :king:
Not implying anything, just offering up a bit of knowledge and experience. Of course I don't know YOUR hair, but from what you've shared, I truly believe that would solve most or all of the problems you're having just now.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
balisi said:
Not implying anything, just offering up a bit of knowledge and experience. Of course I don't know YOUR hair, but from what you've shared, I truly believe that would solve most or all of the problems you're having just now.
okie dokie! ;)

curlilocs

JenJen2721 said:
I just wanted to add a tip for transitioners, (even though I didn't transition officially):

Start buying the accessories, earrings, tools, etc. that you need now.

They'll come in really handy when you're 100% natural. :grin:

It was so nice that I had a few bra-strap headbands to go with outfits once my hair was long enough for one. I bought them a few months before going natural. I wish I would've bought more stuff. Right now I'm having a hard time finding earrings that look nice with the 'fro.

If you start looking for stuff now, you'll save $ by getting things on sale and not out of necessity or desperation.

Big Silver Hoops!!! They look good with everything ;)

chocolate01

What's DDTA. I know some naturals use it but if any transitioners have tried it a review would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Country gal

curlilocs said:
Big Silver Hoops!!! They look good with everything ;)

I definitely have to co-sign on this statement. I bought some silver hoops and I get so many compliments when I wear them. People have said it sets off the look.

Country gal

caligirl said:
I think the point is that you really shouldn't try to "control" natural hair. Once you just let it be curly, wavy, bushy, kinky, whatever, you will be so much happier.

Just let it do the damn thing. Natural hair should be free and not controlled. I feel that sometimes we have to transition our relaxed minds to realize the capabilities with natural hair.

Return2Naptural

Bubblin"

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I have almost started to become discouraged, as I am needing constant feedback and affirmations these days, in regards to my hair.

This is my 2nd time returning to naptural.

I am really confused this time around. There is so much out there.

My goal:

Waist length naptural hair, stretched ( i think...ugh.)

Okay here is my deal.

I don't know what is my hair type. How do I find out and does one have to do this professionally?

I am bored, bored, bored, or did I say bored.

I have been hiding my hair under a wig for since February daily. Summer's coming and I really don't want to deal with the extra heat that it sometimes produce.

On last Saturday I wrote this..."I just got done brushing and braiding my low neck length transitioning hair. Needless to say, it is very difficult to manage at this length. However, the routine I've followed for 2 weeks gave way to less breakage.(yayyyy) My naptural hair is so pretty, yall Almost made me want to do the b/c right then and there. I am curious to find out my hair type. Its thick, soft and fuzzy coiled. I've notice that it was a lot more easier to comb and brush when my hair was damp this time around.

Anyways, because it took me almost 3 hours to wash, condition, detangle, brush, braid and bantu at the ends. I've decided for my sanity if nothing else, to splurge and go to a salon weekly until I have more naptural hair than relaxed."

Now today, I feel discouraged. I live in Atlanta, and unfortunately I have had a difficult time finding a stylist who specializes in transitioning hair.

Any advice here would help. I apologize for such a long and possibly babbling post, but I am really starting to lose my momentum here.

Thanks to all,

AmiRah :(

*Happily Me*

Bublnbrnsuga said:
God Bless you, dear! It is unfortunate that you have lupus,but I know many other ladies who have it and have overcome this disease and have beautiful,lush hair,too:yep:

You say you don't know how to do the braidout method. Girl, it is really simple! Just make about 7-10 braids over your entire head after you wash it. No setting lotion is required,but you can use it. Use your favorite moisturizers and leave-in. Place rods at the ends of each braid. Let it airdry over night. In the morning, VOILA!!! Just tease/fluff a little and go about your business! If it doesn't look right the first time, keep trying. As for the bantu knots, you should use a minimal amount of setting lotion to about 7 knots on your head. What you do is grab a section of hair, twist it around until it starts twisting on its own and make circular knots. Secure the knots with bobby pins (the ones with no ends). Sit under the dryer for a while and after they are dry, another VOILA!! Tease out the knots slightly,but not too much because it could end up looking frizzy. Take care!

I did a braidout a few days ago and it was pretty good for a 1st try. Still working on the bantu knots though. And, I'm looking around for phony ponies too.

Thanks for the tips. I feel like a girl with a plan! :)

*Happily Me*

cincybrownsugar said:
As far as braidouts, the most important thing I have learned is to make sure the hair is 100% dry when done on wet hair. What has also worked for me is a heavy creamy moisturizer, which I cannot use for straight styles.

I will be happy to help out in any way I can.

Thanks for this suggestion. I did my braidout on dry hair and I think it came out nicely. :D I'm going to try to perfect this...

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Return2Naptural said:
Bubblin"

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I have almost started to become discouraged, as I am needing constant feedback and affirmations these days, in regards to my hair.

My goal:

Okay here is my deal.

I don't know what is my hair type. How do I find out and does one have to do this professionally?

I have been hiding my hair under a wig for since February daily. Summer's coming and I really don't want to deal with the extra heat that it sometimes produce.

On last Saturday I wrote this..."I just got done brushing and braiding my low neck length transitioning hair. Needless to say, it is very difficult to manage at this length. However, the routine I've followed for 2 weeks gave way to less breakage.(yayyyy) My naptural hair is so pretty, yall Almost made me want to do the b/c right then and there. I am curious to find out my hair type. Its thick, soft and fuzzy coiled. I've notice that it was a lot more easier to comb and brush when my hair was damp this time around.

Anyways, because it took me almost 3 hours to wash, condition, detangle, brush, braid and bantu at the ends. I've decided for my sanity if nothing else, to splurge and go to a salon weekly until I have more naptural hair than relaxed."

Now today, I feel discouraged. I live in Atlanta, and unfortunately I have had a difficult time finding a stylist who specializes in transitioning hair.

Any advice here would help. I apologize for such a long and possibly babbling post, but I am really starting to lose my momentum here.

Thanks to all,

:kiss: I am so sorry you are feeling discouraged and I must admit, almost 3 hours for the above is definitely alot of time. Before I can really help you , I need to know step by step what you are doing to your hair, from wash til style. And about those stylists- lemme tell you, when they tell you how much they charge, trust, you will LEARN how to do your hair. This is how I learned how to style. To this day folks still ask me who does my hair-I love replying 'Mua"':grin:

MissJ

Hi ladies. I don't know if I should transition or not. I haven't relaxed in 14 weeks, which is much longer than my normal 6 to 8 weeks. I've lost some hair but not too much. I'm kind of confused as to what I should do, because I've accumulated a lot of relaxed hair. It would take years for me to grow that much starting from scratch.

moda

MissJ said:
Hi ladies. I don't know if I should transition or not. I haven't relaxed in 14 weeks, which is much longer than my normal 6 to 8 weeks. I've lost some hair but not too much. I'm kind of confused as to what I should do, because I've accumulated a lot of relaxed hair. It would take years for me to grow that much starting from scratch.

You do not have to do the big chop to transition. Have you considered just getting a few inches cut off per year, then that way you will not lose the accumulated hair.

sillygurl18

Return2Naptural said:
Bubblin"

My goal:

Okay here is my deal.

Thanks to all,

Now you won't be able to know what your hair type is until you cut off the relaxed ends, but since you've been natural before you probably know what your natural hair looks like. Maybe you could check out albums to find someone whose hair is close to yours.

Also how are you washing your hair?
You could:
1. put dry hair in sections
2. step under the shower with hair in sections and let hair get soaking wet.
3. Shampoo and rinse a section at a time and twist the section up
4. Then condition and detangle and rinse a section at a time and twist it up.

Now if you are going to braid your hair up you could make it even easier on yourself and make the sections neat so that you could divide the sections and braid.

HTH! Ask if you have any questions. :)

Tonya

DDTA (Daily Defense Tender Apple) Conditioner works WONDER for my two textures. it softens my new growth AND detangles my hair ofr much easier handling and hardly any shedding! I LOVE it!

Do you ladies find that your textures is different in different places in your head?

*Happily Me*

Tonya said:
DDTA (Daily Defense Tender Apple) Conditioner works WONDER for my two textures. it softens my new growth AND detangles my hair ofr much easier handling and hardly any shedding! I LOVE it!

Do you ladies find that your textures is different in different places in your head?

I do see different textures. The top of my head the hair is thick yet soft. The edges and nape hair is kind of brittle.

I'm having a hard time this week with my hair. To top things off, I am still finding split ends! It's driving me crazy. :mad:

ThursdayGirl

Tonya said:

Definitely. I seem to have a reverse kitchen. The silkier, smoother curls in the back (no bigger than a straw/pencil,tho')...the spongy tight coily curls in the front (pen spring size). The top has a kinda weird wavy/curly wiry mix of hair (kinda reminds me of my Mom's hair only curiler).

chocolate01

Tonya said:

Thanks Tonya. Where can I buy this? In a store or online.

curlilocs

MissJ said:

I just started transitioning and I share your pain. My hair isn't super long but I've worked hard to maintain the length I have and I just don't want to let it go yet! This is a great thread and it's shown me that it's possible to transition without the BC.

I plan to get a trim every 10 weeks. For some reason when I get a hair cut it just stimulates the roots and my hair will grow. I know a few people who can testify to that. It might work for you too since your hair has length! Good luck!!!

Tonya

chocolate01 said:
Thanks Tonya. Where can I buy this? In a store or online.

No problem. It is being discontinued so it is hard to find. You may want to check drug stores, grocery stores and dollar store. It is really cheap. Mine was 1.00.

honeisos

JenJen2721 said:
I just wanted to add a tip for transitioners, (even though I didn't transition officially):

Start buying the accessories, earrings, tools, etc. that you need now.

They'll come in really handy when you're 100% natural. :grin:

It was so nice that I had a few bra-strap headbands to go with outfits once my hair was long enough for one. I bought them a few months before going natural. I wish I would've bought more stuff. Right now I'm having a hard time finding earrings that look nice with the 'fro.

If you start looking for stuff now, you'll save $ by getting things on sale and not out of necessity or desperation.

Yeah I'm doing that now ... check out the earrings I got off Ebay ...
http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/da/0e/13_2.JPG

what do ya'll think?

real silver and only 4 bucks ... !

SilkyandSmooth

Tonya said:

Absolutely. The front of my hair is finer than the rest of my hair. Sometimes it's difficult for me to tell the difference between my relaxed and natural hair in that section of my head.