Transitioners support thread

crazydaze911

I think they made a new 2009 Support Thread since this one was so big (see signature beauty's post on top of page 201)... you should do a duplicate post there for advice......

Clazz E 2

My winter protective style...

Best transitioning hair EVA.....drumroll...... Outre' Straw Set but get this!! If you like spending lots of dough "then U GO now because it's cheap and wears WELL.... ADD needle, and 2 rolls of thread PRICELESS!!

I peeped this hair on a mannequin inside the BSS and assumed it was synthetic because it was so cute and perfect ! My to my surprise human, good quality and $10.99 a bag. So u get 6 little bundles for say $22 bucks because u would need two bags. It's the best replication of natural hair eva! If you want to do a trial by error, get this as a sew-in or cap weave (i've done both) leaving 2 inches out in the front. Do AIR DRY'D twists for the front perimeter with small perm rod on the tip and you would be amazed at the natural look and feel. Roll the rod in a spiral bottom up and untwist with hand "no combing". You may have a 5 rods at best, but you have to do the twists evernight and can wash/rinse weekly or biweekly. I twist with water and essential oils "only"

I will post a pic if you want to see.:yep: Or PM me and i email it to u!

Da Realist, I get bored so easily and I am very hesistant about trying new things. I've been using this style of wig for about two years now and it works well for me, but I start to get antsy and want to fling it off by the middle of the day.

I'm looking at full weave styles to try for the rest of the winter. Half Wigs gave me a bald spot in the front, so they are no no's for me. I also don't like those attachable buns, because they don't look real enough on me.

Last edited:

The Girl

My last relaxer was on 9/7/08. I have 3 months in my transitioning. I want to give up. My hair is so think and the pic in my signature is the day I cut my hair from BSL to SL and relaxed it. My biggest feat is I suck at braiding and doing hair. I don't wear weaves or wigs, so I feel lost. I need some help.:wallbash:

Since it seems you like wearing it straight I suggest a really good flat iron. I haven't mastered being confident with WNG exactly either. Some days I don't care but mainly I wear it straightened with big curls...HTH

Black Hoya Chick

girls i just had the greatest deep condition ever. i used yogurt (like the individual ones), a glob of honey and a bigger glob of my conditioner (suave humectant). i don't ever measure so sorry...i just do it until i like the consistency. anyway....i don't DC with heat so i let it sit for about 7 hours. rinsed it out and OMG!!! so soft and manageable, and the curl pattern had even stretched/relaxed. amazing. try it please! lol. this is my new staple DC treatment. and its good because its a mixture of protein and moisture. my hair does not like straight up protein so now i can do it successfully. and it smells good too =)

mccray689

Thank you guys for all the help that you have given me but I couldn't take the relaxed ends anymore and big chopped this afternoon. :grin:

CheLala13

I'm thinking of BC'ing next week. I thought I would be prepared for all the negative comments by now, but apparently not. It's alot of..."what are you going to do with it?" but cutting it would be so much better than putting it into this bun. I'm excited too start twist and such

myxdchiick

I have been transitioning for 10 months and I only have about 3 inches of new growth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like giving in and just getting another touch-up. The only reason I haven't done so is because I have realized that I don't need perms to get my hair straight. A simple flat iron and rarely a blowdry would do the trick...

Thann

I'm really considering giving transitioning a shot. I've gone back and forth with the idea for so long, but I really think I ready to let relaxers go.

Right now my plan is to wear sewins for 2 months at a time and then follow something similar to Allandra. I believe my hair type is very kinky and might not have a real curl pattern so I'm nervous that keeping it straight might not be that doable afterall. I want to stop getting relaxers, but I want straight hair. Any input?

MummysGirl

:hiya:

Try these threads out:

2009 Transitioners Support Thread
Curlmeleon's Unite (Transitioning Thread)

Transitioning Challenge

I don't straighten my hair or wear weaves so I might not be the best to give advice but I'm sure you'll find people following a similar routine to what you've mentione in one of the above threads.

Good luck and HHG!
I'm really considering giving transitioning a shot. I've gone back and forth with the idea for so long, but I really think I ready to let relaxers go.

Right now my plan is to wear sewins for 2 months at a time and then follow something similar to Allandra. I believe my hair type is very kinky and might not have a real curl pattern so I'm nervous that keeping it straight might not be that doable afterall. I want to stop getting relaxers, but I want straight hair. Any input?

Last edited:

SherylsTresses

I just read a post titled, "How long 'til your journey ends?" and "If you could wake up with MBL hair, would you prefer relaxed or natural?" It got me thinking that I'm 40 years old now, so why would I continue to aim for WL relaxed hair when I'll probably cut it at 45?

Sooooo I'm thinking of starting my transition right now.

Definitely maybe. :rolleyes:

crazydaze911

I just read a post titled, "How long 'til your journey ends?" and "If you could wake up with MBL hair, would you prefer relaxed or natural?" It got me thinking that I'm 40 years old now, so why would I continue to aim for WL relaxed hair when I'll probably cut it at 45?

Sooooo I'm thinking of starting my transition right now.

Definitely maybe. :rolleyes:

Thats great! the first 7 months to a year were pretty bad for me (slow grower, u might not have the same experience) so i'd say start it as soon as you feel ready and dont cut right away - having a little length weighs the new growth down and makes it a bit easier.

good luck!

Teacher2Be

HI everyone my last perm was Nov. '09 and my BC was July '10. I've been wearing protective styles ever since. So now I have a TWA and I am struggling with dry hair. What do I need to do to put an end to my dry hair?