Transitioners support thread

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Congratulations on your decision to go natural!! I transitioned for 1 year and 4 months so I would like to assist you all on your journey, if you all would like me to. This will be a thread for you ladies to vent about the change, ask questions, etc etc. I check in this forum everyday, so there will be NO question unanswered. Also, veteran transitioners, please assist me!!:yay:

Here's my album- http://public.fotki.com/Naturali-t the password is brillo

*Happily Me*

Checking in!

I'm transitioning however, i am a little aprehensive because I've been to this place before where I stretched the perm for a bit, then chickened out because I didn't know how to do cute styles on hair that was growing out a perm. So, I would do another perm.

Today, I did manage to do the ponytail method. That came out kinda cute and I think i'm going to give that another try. I can't do bantu knots and braidsouts right to save my life. But, I'm new here so I know I need some practice. I usually wash my hair everyday and pull back into a ponytail. I posted some pics in my album.

I need all the help I can get especially with step-by-step how to's. I really want to do it this time because I take a seriously heavy medication (lupus related) that drys my hair out.

Thanks for any tips you can offer! :)

BTW, your album password does not work for me.

TrulyBlessed

I am 6 months into my transition and things are becoming more difficult.
My questions are:

-Is it normal to have a lot of shedding at this stage? I have gone from practically no shedding to moderate shedding now.

-Did you all experience tangles and knots that sometimes had to be trimmed out? This is happening mainly in my crown area when I airdry, so I tried some minor blowdrying after my wash today and I still experienced knots. Even my K-Cutter is working that well anymore!

-Is there something missing from my regimen that would help things along?

my regimen is:
shampoo and condition once a week: kenra ms/mc
leave-in: giovanni direct
moisturizer: bb castor oil moisturizer and pure castor oil for the roots and ends
I have about 3 inches of natural hair and 13 inches of relaxed hair
style: low bun (slicked back with aura pomade and fantasia ic frizz buster gel)

Thanks ladies

moda

DSylla said:
Checking in!

Today, I did manage to do the ponytail method. That came out kinda cute and I think i'm going to give that another try. I can't do bantu knots and braidsouts right to save my life. But, I'm new here so I know I need some practice. I usually wash my hair everyday and pull back into a ponytail. I posted some pics in my album.

As far as braidouts, the most important thing I have learned is to make sure the hair is 100% dry when done on wet hair. What has also worked for me is a heavy creamy moisturizer, which I cannot use for straight styles.

I will be happy to help out in any way I can.

candibaby

Checking in..

While I am only 13 weeks into my transition right now, I have stretched to 21weeks before so I do know what I'm doing to my hair thus far, and my transition isn't hard. Now when I get to 22 weeks.. I will be scared, but I guess I'll fight that battle when I get to it. I don't plan on doing the big chop, but I will start cutting off an inch every two months starting in January 2006.

I plan to wear braids throughout the majority of my transition. In fact, I just finished taking out some cornrows (my own hair) a little while ago, which is my staple style.. cornrowing my own hair front and back and topping it with a phony puff. I'm conditioning my hair with no heat. I do conditioner washes more than anything else, usually every other day or every 2 days because when my hair isnt braided I usually do perm rod sets because I find it VERY hard to manipulate my hair when it's anything other than wet. I need to go find a K-Cutter comb now for coming and detangling because my wide tooth and shower combs are no longer working as well because my hair is really thick and my new growth is starting to curl around itself a little bit.

I do have a question, and that is what is a really good moisturizing conditioner and protein conditioner for transitioning/natural hair? I recently discovered DDTA and I love it, but I have no idea what other products would be compatible with this coarse hair of mine.. thanks.

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
I am almost one year into my transition and the two textures are a nightmare between braids....I am seriously thinking of dong the BC this summer....but I am not sure....

I have had more growth since I stopped relaxing than I have ever had....If I pull my hair downwards, it goes to my collar bone...which is great because before, it would only touch my shoulder.

gonna continue with braids and extensions till I can wear a nie size puff or fro.

balisi

Bubln, thanks for posting this thread--great idea! I took a look at your fotki and you are my LHCF natural hair idol. Really. Truly. I mean that. :notworthy I transitioned out of a relaxer for nine months before I couldn't stand it anymore and BC'd almost five months ago. I absolutely love my natural hair and I'm having so much fun discovering new things about it, as well as how to style it, what products work best, etc. As a veteran transitioner, I would love to share my advice and experiences with anyone seeking help during her transition.

MeccaMedinah

Great thread. Veteran transitioner here! I too transitioned for 1 year and 4 months. I am open to answering questions too. ;)

SilkyandSmooth

Great thread Bubln. At this stage of my transition (11 & 1/2 months), I think the worst is over. I think the roughest period for me was between the 6 month and 9 month mark. It's been smooth sailing ever since. I've found what products work and don't work at this point. My biggest problem is my relaxed ends. I am soooooo tired of them. If I had the length I desire, I'd chop today.

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
hey..how short can your hair be in order to still be able to get braids? Partcularly tree braids and corn rows?

Stormy

Yes, thank you so much for starting this thread Bubln!

Right now, the only problem I'm having is... there are parts of my hair that my last relaxer didn't get straight at all. And because I wore braids for quite awhile before relaxing, those parts are practically natural already. The area is on one side of my hair in the front, and a small area in the back. You can't tell because I camouflage it pretty good, but I have to work at it. This is rather frustrating. I'm thinking that maybe I should just get it professionally relaxed just one more time to make it all evenly relaxed and then start my transition over. Or, do you think that the rest of my hair will nap up (so to speak) soon enough and match the areas that are already practically natural and I should just leave it alone? I'm about six weeks post relaxer right now.

Any of you ladies ever experience this?

goldylox

I've been transitioning for about two years and four months. I want to cut my ends so bad but i dont want to lose my length. Ive been doing braidouts since i started coming here. im kinda new with the forum. the only thing is my hair feels so short........ but im tryin not to use my flat iron. Im tryin to see how long i can go. I try to do a rollerset maybe once every two to three months. Now im at the point where i havent noticed any new length and im getting kind of discouraged, because i feel like i have so long to go. I would say im three inches from waistlength but that is counting my permed ends.

Stormy

Oh, I forgot to mention that I've thought about just re-relaxing those areas, but I'm afraid I might mess it up and get them too straight.

Country gal

Wonderful thread idea. Thanks Bub. I have gone 15 months without a perm. I am currently sporting twists. I struggle with the negative comments regarding my natural hair. Before I got the twists, people weren't really feeling my natural hair.

sharee

I have been transitioning for 7 months well I guess it will be the beggining of the 8th month this week. Anway, the two textures, shedding and breaking are killing me right now, I wanted to relax so bad so, I put in a weave this weekend so I wouldnt be tempted. I just hope that I can manage to take care of the hair underneath. My hair is so fine that I am nervous about the strain the weave may have on my hair but I had to do something!

cutiepiedds

I have been surfing this site for the last couple weeks. I am also in the transition phase. I have looked at a number for pages and it looks like everyone has their own hair regimen. Is there a specific regimen that anyone would suggest for new transitioners.

marygrove013

I'm been transitioning for over a year...this is a great post & it's very inspirational to those who are really trying to transition...

chocolate01

Hey this thread is such a great idea. I am nine months into my transition right now. I hit a rough spot the last couple weeks but I think it was from me being lazy. I don't have any questions right now but I just wanted to thank Bublin and all the other verterans that offered to help.

dst894

Hello everyone -

How long?
Let's see I've been transitioning since Feb '04 or should I say I haven't relaxed since then. So it’s been 1 year and 2 months. My hair went from virtually no breakage to tons. I had a lot of patches of short pieces but this is partly due not being able to manage my hair when it air dries. My hair stylist is currently blow drying my hair with a ceramic blow dryer which is working but we are also working on some no heat styles.

Questions?

1. What do I use for a moisturizer? I am currently using a shea butter/mango mix but not sure if that's giving me the moisturizer I need. Anyone have any ideas?

2. I also read on this forum that protein treatments are used to strengthen the hair can this also be used on half relaxed and half natural hair, if so does anyone have any recommendations?

3. When my hair air dries its dries very hard and brittle I'm sure this is related to moisture but does anyone know a product that can be used to soften hair when it air dries. Unfortunately I've only found to very expensive products that do this Kiehls and Buttercreme, desperately looking for other suggestions.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

DSylla said:
Checking in!

I'm transitioning however, i am a little aprehensive because I've been to this place before where I stretched the perm for a bit, then chickened out because I didn't know how to do cute styles on hair that was growing out a perm. So, I would do another perm.

I need all the help I can get especially with step-by-step how to's. I really want to do it this time because I take a seriously heavy medication (lupus related) that drys my hair out.

Thanks for any tips you can offer! :)

BTW, your album password does not work for me.

God Bless you, dear! It is unfortunate that you have lupus,but I know many other ladies who have it and have overcome this disease and have beautiful,lush hair,too:yep:

You say you don't know how to do the braidout method. Girl, it is really simple! Just make about 7-10 braids over your entire head after you wash it. No setting lotion is required,but you can use it. Use your favorite moisturizers and leave-in. Place rods at the ends of each braid. Let it airdry over night. In the morning, VOILA!!! Just tease/fluff a little and go about your business! If it doesn't look right the first time, keep trying. As for the bantu knots, you should use a minimal amount of setting lotion to about 7 knots on your head. What you do is grab a section of hair, twist it around until it starts twisting on its own and make circular knots. Secure the knots with bobby pins (the ones with no ends). Sit under the dryer for a while and after they are dry, another VOILA!! Tease out the knots slightly,but not too much because it could end up looking frizzy. Take care!

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Tasha112 said:
I am 6 months into my transition and things are becoming more difficult.
My questions are:

-Is it normal to have a lot of shedding at this stage? I have gone from practically no shedding to moderate shedding now.

-Did you all experience tangles and knots that sometimes had to be trimmed out? This is happening mainly in my crown area when I airdry, so I tried some minor blowdrying after my wash today and I still experienced knots. Even my K-Cutter is working that well anymore!

-Is there something missing from my regimen that would help things along?

my regimen is:
shampoo and condition once a week: kenra ms/mc
leave-in: giovanni direct
moisturizer: bb castor oil moisturizer and pure castor oil for the roots and ends
I have about 3 inches of natural hair and 13 inches of relaxed hair
style: low bun (slicked back with aura pomade and fantasia ic frizz buster gel)

Thanks ladies

Hmmm. I have always had a considerable amount of shedding,but let me ask you- is it shedding (normal lengths of your hair) or is it smaller pieces of your hair? Also the shedding could be due to lack of moisture on the strands. I would suggest you purchase a perm applicator brush (looks like a paint brush) and apply a moisturizer to the new growth.

As for the knots and tangles- explain to me how you are combing your hair. Is your hair dry or wet when you comb it out? This could make a huge difference.

I would try using protein treatments monthly,too. I use the Elasta QP Breakage serum.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

candibaby said:
Checking in..

While I am only 13 weeks into my transition right now, I have stretched to 21weeks before so I do know what I'm doing to my hair thus far, and my transition isn't hard. Now when I get to 22 weeks.. I will be scared, but I guess I'll fight that battle when I get to it. I don't plan on doing the big chop, but I will start cutting off an inch every two months starting in January 2006.

I plan to wear braids throughout the majority of my transition. In fact, I just finished taking out some cornrows (my own hair) a little while ago, which is my staple style.. cornrowing my own hair front and back and topping it with a phony puff. I'm conditioning my hair with no heat. I do conditioner washes more than anything else, usually every other day or every 2 days because when my hair isnt braided I usually do perm rod sets because I find it VERY hard to manipulate my hair when it's anything other than wet. I need to go find a K-Cutter comb now for coming and detangling because my wide tooth and shower combs are no longer working as well because my hair is really thick and my new growth is starting to curl around itself a little bit.

I do have a question, and that is what is a really good moisturizing conditioner and protein conditioner for transitioning/natural hair? I recently discovered DDTA and I love it, but I have no idea what other products would be compatible with this coarse hair of mine.. thanks.

Oh yes, the K cutter is a must:yep: You seem to be on the right track with only combing your hair when it is wet. I would take it a bit further to lessen your frustration. After you wash your hair, apply a moisturizer and leave in to the hair. Take small sections of your hair and comb each section. You will discover this will leave you less frustrated. I would continue using the DDTA. I would also suggest you do more hot oil treatments in the shower. As for other products, this is a great time to become a product junky because certain products that would work for relaxed hair might not work as well for natural hair.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

For those of you who are frustrated with the two textures I would recommend going ahead and cutting them off. I wish I would have cut mine off sooner. It would have provided me more time to get to know my natural hair.

TrulyBlessed

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Hmmm. I have always had a considerable amount of shedding,but let me ask you- is it shedding (normal lengths of your hair) or is it smaller pieces of your hair? Also the shedding could be due to lack of moisture on the strands. I would suggest you purchase a perm applicator brush (looks like a paint brush) and apply a moisturizer to the new growth.

As for the knots and tangles- explain to me how you are combing your hair. Is your hair dry or wet when you comb it out? This could make a huge difference.

I would try using protein treatments monthly,too. I use the Elasta QP Breakage serum.

Yay help is on the way:clap: Bubln, thank you so much for this thread and helping me out! Now let's see:

-The shedding consists of long strands of hair with coily new growth at the top. I apply plain castor oil with applicator bottle on the new growth about every other day and the bb castor oil hair lotion only on the length of the hair. I think you are right about there possibly being a lack of moisture. Do you think maybe I should seek a heavier moisturizer at this stage or am I not moisturizing enough or properly? I will most def. look into an applicator brush.

-I only comb my wet hair on wash day (once a week) with k-cutter after rinsing out the conditioner. I comb starting from the ends to the roots after applying John Frieda texture correcting serum and giovanni direct leave-in

-the protein that I use once a month is aubrey gpb (original formula)

Thanks again

MeccaMedinah

dst894 said:
Hello everyone -

How long?
Let's see I've been transitioning since Feb '04 or should I say I haven't relaxed since then. So it’s been 1 year and 2 months. My hair went from virtually no breakage to tons. I had a lot of patches of short pieces but this is partly due not being able to manage my hair when it air dries. My hair stylist is currently blow drying my hair with a ceramic blow dryer which is working but we are also working on some no heat styles.

Questions?

1. What do I use for a moisturizer? I am currently using a shea butter/mango mix but not sure if that's giving me the moisturizer I need. Anyone have any ideas?

2. I also read on this forum that protein treatments are used to strengthen the hair can this also be used on half relaxed and half natural hair, if so does anyone have any recommendations?

3. When my hair air dries its dries very hard and brittle I'm sure this is related to moisture but does anyone know a product that can be used to soften hair when it air dries. Unfortunately I've only found to very expensive products that do this Kiehls and Buttercreme, desperately looking for other suggestions.

My hair is loving shea butter & virgin coconut oil mixed. My hair is moisturized, soft and has a nice sheen.

And as far as protein is concerned, my hair doesn't like it very much. I use conditioners with protein in them and they are working out for me. Pantene R&N and Yves Rocher's Phytum Hair Care Nutrition Replenishing Conditioner. http://www.yvesrocherusa.com/shop_app/app_US/jms.jsp?_JMS_FLOW_ID_=2&_JMS_FLOW_NAME_=Main_JFLNUM_1&nav=product&familyNodeId=&lineNodeId=&articleNo=31417 HTH

B

Bublnbrnsuga

goldylox said:
I've been transitioning for about two years and four months. I want to cut my ends so bad but i dont want to lose my length. Ive been doing braidouts since i started coming here. im kinda new with the forum. the only thing is my hair feels so short........ but im tryin not to use my flat iron. Im tryin to see how long i can go. I try to do a rollerset maybe once every two to three months. Now im at the point where i havent noticed any new length and im getting kind of discouraged, because i feel like i have so long to go. I would say im three inches from waistlength but that is counting my permed ends.

Girl, you have plenty of new growth!! Like I said, I cut off my permed ends after only 1 year and 4 months, and you have about 2 years and 4 months of new growth??? Girl, cut it!!:yay:

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Stormy said:
Hi Bubln,

Do you have any suggestions for me?

I think you should leave the underprocessed parts of your hair alone. Don't re-relax them. This would create extra damage. How far along are you in the transition? Are you afraid to BC?

GodMadeMePretty

Great thread. I transitioned for 1 year and 9 1/2 months. I was going to go for 2 years but my relaxed ends were too frustrating for me. They were tangling and everything and just looked anemic next to my natural hair. Saturday night, I finally chopped off the rest of the ends and my braidout looks 1000000000 times better. I didn't even have to use perm rods on the ends. I'm willing to help anyway that I can although I feel like I'm still feeling my way around because I'm style challenged.