Transitioning Newbie with questions!

EduFirst

Hi all...I have been lurking on this site since I decided to let go of relaxers a few weeks ago...

The Backstory: I grew up wearing braids and tired of them as I got older...I have been through 2 "grow outs" under the braids, and would then relax (for various reasons) once it got to a preferred length. These last two times I have noticed that my hair would eventually stop liking the relaxer, quit, thin, and break on me...I would go back to braids to hide the transition, and end up in the same broken-off place a year or two later.

The Big Decision: I moved to DC and finally found a stylist that I feel truly cares for my hair. Once the breakage started to happen after this last relaxer, he told it to me straight (forgive the pun!)--your hair probably just hates the chemicals. This was devastating to me at first, because I have always preferred straight hair and at least need/want a straight option (I work in a fast-paced branch of the Fed. Gov't).

But looking at these threads has given me anew excitement for getting to know my 4b hair and embracing various styles.

The Look: Currently, I have short, Rhianna length hair and am only 6 wks. post, so I'm not really "hiding" that much. This length means that when it starts to look old, it can look TERRIBLE!

QUESTIONS FOR MY NEW LONG HAIRED SISTERS:

--When you were transitioning, did you use heat? How did this work out short and long term?

--What are some fairly low maintenance, low heat styles that I can do myself while keeping it professionally sexy? ;)

--What products did my 4b transitionista's use to DC and moisturize daily?

--Did you transition with a bkt and straighten? How did that work out short and long term?

THANKS! I look forward to learning so much more form you all and thanks for the inspiration and encouragement! Reading your stories has got me on a path to loving my hair more and I'm LOVING that :)

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I occasionally use heat (flat-iron), and I've had no major problems. I also do Brazilian Keratin treatments to make my hair easier to manage to to help keep my straight styles from reverting. My main thing is moisturizing my hair daily. i'm trying to use mostly organic products (conditioners, shea butter, oils, aloe vera).

Find a good heat protectant and a good ceramic flat-iron. Practice makes perfect, so if it's not how you want it, try again. also, go light on the products, so your hair isn't too weighed down.

camilla

QUESTIONS FOR MY NEW LONG HAIRED SISTERS:

--When you were transitioning, did you use heat? How did this work out short and long term? yes once a week after wash and set i would flat iron the roots only then i went on to half wigs

--What are some fairly low maintenance, low heat styles that I can do myself while keeping it professionally sexy? half wigs with the rest in corn rowsjust the very front left out you gan get wavy to match your texture and braid the leave out only nightly to match the wave pattern of the half wig check her out below

http://www.youtube.com/user/muffinismylovers#p/u/9/0oMn2y3Xqp8

http://www.youtube.com/user/muffinismylovers#p/u/89/842hCtJwRf0

http://www.youtube.com/user/muffinismylovers#p/u/421/fZxSCvoG0Dk

--What products did my 4b transitionista's use to DC and moisturize daily?

--Did you transition with a bkt and straighten? How did that work out
short and long term? idk what i will do yet

THANKS! I look forward to learning so much more form you all and thanks for the inspiration and encouragement! Reading your stories has got me on a path to loving my hair more and I'm LOVING that

Last edited:

lizzyb168

Im still transitioning and at first i used heat every week, but then i stopped and have seen the benefits. Ive been 'direct heat' free for 6 months.

I just recently purchased some shea butter, avacado butter, coconut oil and castor oil and mixed it all together and use that as my mosituriser. This is the best moisturiser ive ever had and works for both hair textures. I only have to use it once a week, my hair never drys out.

Low matineance styles would be twists or cornrows. Maybe try and wig it up for a while.

HTH!