TRANSITIONING PROTECTIVE STYLES...HELP, PLEASE?!?!

Sonye93

Hey everyone, I need ALL THE HELP I CAN GET:perplexed!!! I have been transitioning for 10 months now. And I need a change. I need more hairstyles to do. I've SEARCHED AND SEARCHED, but I don't know why I cant find anything:ohwell:. I need protective styles that don't involved braids or twists, that I can do daily for school. The two textures in my hair create this anorexic look when I do twists:nono:, which is why I don't want to do them to create an updo. I LOVE updos. Another problem is the front of my hair, it's hard to slick down even with EcoStyler Gel, an ideas?

PLEASE ANY HELP AT ALL IS WELCOME!!!:yep::yep::yep:

Sonye93

^ yea, I have. They aren't working so well now that I am 10 months in, which is why I do updos. They don't come out good at all, and neither do they last.

dr.j

I'm pretty boring --- I bun. Do you use eco styler gel and then put on a scarf? I find that works for me when I do that before I jump in the shower and keep the scarf on until I leave the house.

destine2grow

I'm transitioning and I am 18wks post or 4mths. I wear bantu knot outs, braid outs, and rollersets. I also wear wigs and will be getting a sew-in, in the near future.

Sonye93

Napp, I dont use heat too often, maybe once every few months, last time I did, I THOUGHT i heat damaged my hair and was so paranoid.

dr.j, no, I haven't tried the scarf method, I guess that's next, thanks. What kind of buns do you do? I like buns and updos.

destine2grow, thanks, but that phase has passed for me, it was great in the beginning, but now my hair doesn't cooperate =/.

lilsparkle825

I know you said no twists, but what about flat twists? When I was transitioning I found that they didn't give me that "anorexic twist" thing going on between the thicker roots and the relaxed ends. Braidouts are always good for transitioning too.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Napp, I dont use heat too often, maybe once every few months, last time I did, I THOUGHT i heat damaged my hair and was so paranoid.

dr.j, no, I haven't tried the scarf method, I guess that's next, thanks. What kind of buns do you do? I like buns and updos.

destine2grow, thanks, but that phase has passed for me, it was great in the beginning, but now my hair doesn't cooperate =/.

i know you dont like heat but have you tried using low heat just to ket the kink and make the hair blend more. since you wear updos and buns this way you can strech the straightening out for 2-3 weeks so you do not have to be using alot of heat very often.

also have you ever tried using a heavy conditioner to lay your hair down. i find a conditioner with aloe high in the ingredients lays down my hair better than nay gel. i personally like aussie moist 3 minute miracle to lay down my hair followed by most giovanni conditioners(specificaly the 50:50 and the direct leave in) i really sugest this because ecostyler cannot hold my hair very welll either. asl apply a little grease or pomade on top for extra shine and hold.

MissMusic

You could also try banding, that helps me stretch out my new growth which gives my hair an overall better appearance.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I'm 10 months too. And I either flat iron my roots and bun my hair. Or I braid my hair and wear a half wig. I really can't be bothered with trying to make the two textures cooperate. At this point I'm just glad for no breakage. I hope you find a style :)

As for your edges, the Edge Control. You only need a little tiny bit and you don't even need a scarf. That stuff makes my edges lay like a fresh relaxer. It's not drying. Has no mineral oil, etc. It's awesome!

dr.j

@Napp, I dont use heat too often, maybe once every few months, last time I did, I THOUGHT i heat damaged my hair and was so paranoid.

@dr.j, no, I haven't tried the scarf method, I guess that's next, thanks. What kind of buns do you do? I like buns and updos.

@destine2grow, thanks, but that phase has passed for me, it was great in the beginning, but now my hair doesn't cooperate =/.

I just put my hair in a high or low ponytail and then bobby pin the ends under. I sometimes do a side bun to mix it up. I usually airdry in braids (before I bun) to blend the two textures.

Sonye93

Alrighty then, I didn't get much styles, but I sure did get lots of tips and tricks, thanks everyone, honestly. But, I gotta go hunt down some more styles.

Glamourstruckk

I am transitioning and I am also 10 months in. I have a lot of styles on my youtube you might wanna try. I also keep my edges down with a bit of water and a scarf on the edges every night.

Fhrizzball

twist and curl/ braid and curl

braidouts/twistouts

rollersets

They're not protective styles but they're low manipulation at least.

miss cosmic

i'm almost one year post and it is hard tto find styles that do not leave me looking unkempt. ive accepted that any style that leaves my hair out - any kind of set really -is a no-no. i cant bun either because my new growth is so thick.

crochet braids are the best. your hair is hidden away, no pulling on it as with braids, and yu can change the hair often because crochet braids are quick and easy to install. you can have curly styles or straight styles - like i said - quick and easy. if yu can cornrow all the better. i cant so i would have someone do the cornrow base then install the hair myself. look at youtube videos for some great hair recommendations then experiment on your own.
also, threading is great. we call if plaiting with thread. its protective and also quick, and if done properly can last at least two weeks. you need to be careful with threading as its easy to look juvenile with a lot of the styles, but its good for over the weekend if you just want to stretch you hair.

hth.