transitioning to natural without the big chop?

MeccaMedinah

I transitioned for about 15 months, Jan 04-April 05. My first mini chop was 2-3 inches(Mar 04), second was 1-2 inches(Aug?04) & third & final was 1-2 inches(April 05). HTH
ETA: When I hear that someone is "transitioning" I automatically assume that they are not chopping.
Otherwise they'd be big chopping.

Last edited:

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I transitioned for 18 months myself, I chopped around March this year. It was tough because I didn't have as much time to style as much (grad school and working) so I wore buns all the time. But I think anystyle where you don't have to manipulate your hair too much is definitely helpful and the other helpful thing is MOISTURE.....tons & tons of moisture. Especially around the areas where your relaxed hair meets your natural hair.

honeisos

nurseN98 said:
I transitioned for 18 months myself, I chopped around March this year. It was tough because I didn't have as much time to style as much (grad school and working) so I wore buns all the time. But I think anystyle where you don't have to manipulate your hair too much is definitely helpful and the other helpful thing is MOISTURE.....tons & tons of moisture. Especially around the areas where your relaxed hair meets your natural hair.

So true .. lots of water was the key for me .. I trans for 11 months .. when I cut my relaxed hair off .. I had a lot of new growth .. the pics I have in the gallery were taken right after I chopped .. the co washes really helped my hair to grow ..

L

lkg4healthyhair

A friend of mine transitioned without doing the BC. She wore braids 99% of the time though. She would just get a trim every 3 months and eventually after about 1.5-2 years her relaxed hair was gone.

Jewell

This is a good thread, because I want to transition for as long as possible and just gradually cut off the relaxed hair. Braids do damage to my hair although it grows a whole lot when I do have braids. I am afraid to get them because I had cornrows for a week this summer and I lost about a handful of hair in shedding and breakage. Seems like I lost 35% of my thickness, although my hair seems to have recovered completely. It could have been the synthetic hair. If the going gets really tough, I may get braids again, just using human hair. That is what my homegirl who is a stylist suggested to me.

I am 3 months in this coming Sunday, and haven't straightened my new growth yet. I was thinking about straightening it for my birthday in Nov, but I have been heat free for nearly 2 years and don't want to renege. Maybe I will just style it in a beautiful french twist. I basically wear my hair out everyday because it dries faster than in a bun and it looks better. I cut off 2 inches myself on Sunday the 4th of Sept because my hair likes to grow in a "W" shape and I wanted to even it up. I won't cut again until at least Jan 06 or March. Daily CO washes have been absolute lifesavers for my new growth and relaxed hair. Right now there is no way I can get around daily washing, because it helps with managebitlity so much! Sorry so long!

Jewell

This is a good thread, because I want to transition for as long as possible and just gradually cut off the relaxed hair. Braids do damage to my hair although it grows a whole lot when I do have braids. I am afraid to get them because I had cornrows for a week this summer and I lost about a handful of hair in shedding and breakage. Seems like I lost 35% of my thickness, although my hair seems to have recovered completely. It could have been the synthetic hair. If the going gets really tough, I may get braids again, just using human hair. That is what my homegirl who is a stylist suggested to me.

I am 3 months in this coming Sunday, and haven't straightened my new growth yet. I was thinking about straightening it for my birthday in Nov, but I have been heat free for nearly 2 years and don't want to renege. Maybe I will just style it in a beautiful french twist. I basically wear my hair out everyday because it dries faster than in a bun and it looks better.

I cut off 2 inches myself on Sunday the 4th of Sept because my hair likes to grow in a "W" shape and I wanted to even it up. I won't cut again until at least Jan 06 or March. By Dec my hair will be back to past BSL length, so I think I will maintain it at blunt cut BSL by trimming away the relaxed hair every now and then. Daily CO washes have been absolute lifesavers for my new growth and relaxed hair. Right now there is no way I can get around daily washing, because it helps with managebitlity so much! Sorry so long!

imstush

lkg4healthyhair said:
A friend of mine transitioned without doing the BC. She wore braids 99% of the time though. She would just get a trim every 3 months and eventually after about 1.5-2 years her relaxed hair was gone.

I did the similar thing the first time I went natural. I wore wash and goes, then I got braids for about a month, then I wore my own hair in double strands...and in about 1.5-2 years the relaxed hair was gone.

beyondcute

To all those that had trouble with bradis I suggest saoking the hair first (in water and vinegar) to taek off the alkaline base. Also if they are too TIGHT or are not moisturized (braid stpray once or twice a day...) they WILL PULL YOUR HAIR OUT! Your head should not hurt when they are put in. Im transitioing and kinky twists are the easist on the hai. They are light and quickly done. Im about 5 months myself. Im enjoying my braids. Rolelr sets will smopoth out those edges and you can get almost any style as you did before except it may not last as long. Goo dluck ladies I hope you stick with it!

Suri

I have been transitioning for 9 months. My first set of braids were cornrows in July and they did a little damage to my hair. The second on braids were twists, and they pulled a little more out. I am not too pleased with braids, although the cornrows don't pull my hair out, they just strained my hairline.

ON TRANSITIONING:: When I first started, I had about collarbone length hair. I got really excited at the thought of going natural and starting TRIMMIMG/CUTTING my hair every 2 weeks :confused: . Now that I face the two textures more severly, I am starting to rethink my plan. Two months ago I couldn't get a pony tail, and now I can. I feel like the transition process would be better if my hair was a little longer. I have reassessed my hair goals: I want my hair to grow out. My hair has always been healthy, I want it long and healthy(hence no BIG CHOP for me). BTW I BC'd in 2004 and relaxed again :ohwell: .

Well...I am thinking of relaxing again (it's been 9 months) and if I can make it 9 months I can relax and make it another nine months, just to get some growth under conditions that are more manageable and start the transition process again in a year or so. I feel that transitioning with hair that can fit into a pony or bun is great because I am not manipulating my hair as much. P.S. you should see me in the morning with this hair, it's like trying to tame a wild animal. I know this was long.

Any feedback helps, just wanting to know if anyone else is dealing with this and what you think of the plan. I do want to go natural, but I am not in a rush. I just want the process to be painless THANKS :D

Janet'

I know that it's possible because I'm in the process of doing it now only I don't have nearly as much hair as you do--12-13 inches. I'm at about 4 inches of new growth now. I take advantage of braid-outs (I braid my hair up at night in 6 or 8 medium sized plaits, and then spray a concoction of olive oil, leave in conditioner and water--enough to wet it, un-plait them in the morning and there you go), 2 strand twists (my friend does them for me), twist-outs. I am interested in doing the extension twists or braids, but I haven't decided what or when. I hope this helps...

Janet'
Check out my fotki album- www.fotki.com/ATLPeach
Password in profile

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I've done this. I transitioned 100% without chopping. Basically, I roller set after every wash to protect my permed ends. Then I pressed my roots ONLY as my hair grew, which meant more and more hair being pressed over time. I still have an inch or 2 of perm left in my hair, but now I mostly wear natural styles. It takes true dedication but after a while you get the hang of it. It has taken me almost 5 years. My hair is waist length.

ajargon02

Cichelle said:
Yes, it's possible. But I will tell you that it is also possible that your relaxed hair will begin to break off at the line of demarcation. And then you will have to decide if you can stomach that or not and/or whether you want to risk the health of your natural hair.

When I was transitioning, I knew I would chop, but I wanted to have enough hair to put in a small ponytail. I made it to the small ponytail point, but I still chopped a few months earlier than I planned because things were getting dicey.

Why not plan for a long transition, really keep your hair mositurized (particularly the line of demarcation) and just "play it by ear"? There is something in between an immediate big chop and never chopping. :) You can go as long as you and your hair are comfortable with process.

this is good gentle advice. I had only a few(mabye 2 or 3 perms) in my life. I didn't know that I "transitioned" it just happened. I had a terrible experience w/ a stylist when I was 18, that permed my hair 2x, since it didn't turn out straight the first time. Well I braided it up, for a long time, just re-doing the braids as needed. Eventually all the permed hair broke off. DISCLAMER: I DON'T RECOMMEND ANYONE TO DO IT THIS WAY! I didn't know any better, and in the end, it did take a bit of healthy hair w/ it due to split ends, but I just cut it, and threw it back into braids to grow out. I would just try to work w/ both textures as best you can (if you aren't into the "big chop") and do a long transition. Keep the hair moisturized as mentioned, and cut off 1-3 inches every few months. Mabye that way it won't seem too bad. Of course you will want to stay in protective styles 99% of the time if at all possible. And if you are using a bun, or doing a style that your hair is constantly pulled back, watch out for your edges. Be extra gentle. Good luck to you!:D

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I just wnt and did the BC baby. :woot: I did so becuase my hair was shedding and breaking soooo bad. After I took down my braids or weaves I would have a ball of hair in my hands when I was done!! :shocked: Transitioning just didn't work for me...so I said "CHOP IT" :lol:

MzTami

Hellerrrr
Congratulations!!! You are too brave for me. I don't have enough confidence in appearance to do the BC.

meia

now that i think back in my head i did transition once for a year..lol i hadnt really thought about it..but i used to get relaxers once a year to see growth and it was quite interesting because my hair didnt break off from the actual transitioning..although I remember a LOT did break off because I didnt know how to take care of it..my hair has since changed and now im getting apprehensive..thats why i made this thread...

reading all of your WONDERFUL posts made me really thing things through. If im going to transition, I need to really baby my hair until the perm grows out a bit more and not try to rip combs through my hair..i think im gonna hide my combs for a few months and just use a pick on the roots a LITTLE bit until it grows another inch or two and the hair is a bit more integrated..

thank you again ladies for all your wonderful posts...youve given a lot of us "transitioners" a lot of hope!

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
At the time I posted in this thread I was a little over 6 months post.

I'm currently 13 months into my transition. I started with about 11-12 inches of hair. I was pretty much shoulder length. I haven't trimmed any hair at all. Instead, it breaks about 0.5 inches to 2 inches on it's own. It seems to being maintaining the same length(give about 2 inches) as when I started.

Back in Nov-Dec. I started neglecting my relaxed ends and they started cutting up on me! Breaking off waaaay to far up the shaft. I began baggying again, because I really want to keep the length as long as possible. Hopefully, I can end this thing with 12 inches or more of natural hair.

The very front of my hair is natural. My nape up about 3-4 inches is natural and the middle/crown and side areas maintain about 2-3 inches of relaxed hair and 3-4 inches of natural stretched.

I've alternated between maxigliding and wearing baggied ponytails during these winter months. I was also wearing twists I bantu knotted for curly styles. Sometimes I'll deep condition in a baggied ponytail for several days, rinse, then baggy again for a day, then do a textured style.

I also, do a natural protein treatment after I press.(honey, mayo, evoo, egg, a splash of VO5 condish)

Right now, my braidouts are looking fierce so I've been wearing those a couple times a week.

What has truly helped me stay sane was: sectioning(washing, applying products and styling), spray bottle of water and shea butter.

Last edited: