Transitioning W/ Major Breakage

naaturelle

I'm now 11 to 12 weeks post and I'm getting crazy growth right now with crazy breakage going on. It only happens when I detangle though. I'm pretty sure it's with how I'm wearing my hair maybe and what I'm using.

My hair is too the point where I'm stuck at not knowing how to wear it other than a wash & go or straightened. I'm trying to only straighten my hair once a month because when I do so, I do a full blow out by row and then flat ironed by chi. It's been doing good on my ends when I keep it that way; straightening once a month. But the other days all I do is co-wash (daily) and wear it in a wash & go: bioinfusion leave in conditioner, some beyond the zone noodlehead curling creme, a little more leave in so it won't feel so sticky and dry crunchy, and some anti-frizz or shin serum. I deep condition under a hood dryer when I do straighten my hair which is once a month; i wash and condition and deep condition. I was clarify wash like once to twice a month, I wash once a week but co-wash daily.

I use a jilbere shower comb to detangle, i start from the bottom and up with conditioner in it. And I'm CONSISTENTLY getting alot of hair on my shoulders and comb. It grabs my stomach sometimes to see how much hair it is. I've been trying to change up my regimen thinking I need to do my wash & go like every other week maybe and straighten the other weeks in between but that'll break my relationship with my ONCE A MONTH STRAIGHTENING rule :look:

right now I'm doing a light protein treatment with Organix Vanilla Silk and will wash it out tommorrow. I've been doing this with Organix Coconut Milk Conditioner for the past month, but only when I straighten my hair and I barely see hair anywhere. I'm thinking it has to do with the two different textures I have going on.

i dont know i'm still learning. sorry that was a lot

In the beginning I had a little breakage and I fixed the situation by getting my hair trimmed. It sounds like everything else you are doing is fine. Are you protecting your hair at night? Maybe ponytails? Have you tried a protein treatment like Aphogee?

Your growth is causing the relaxed hair to shed, which is normal but can definitely be stopped.

You may want to do an Aphogee treament. I am 6 months post relaxer (TODAY!!!). Since begining my transition. I've used the Aphogee Protein Treatment twice (the instructions say use it every 6 weeks).

you have to try this and see if helps your situation; because it surely helped mine.

Also, I use the Aphogee 2min Keratin Reconstructor when I wash my hair (once a week) on seperate occassions.

Lastly, use a moisturizing conditioner after that treatment ( some people dont like the Aphogee one that come with it)

ETA: Dont buy a bunch of stuff please. Do a search and try to find what the problem is with YOUR hair
aphogee-two-step-protein-treatment.jpg
The New Package Set

100918A.jpg
The Oldie

APH%20K2MR%201.jpg
The Reconstructor

Last edited:
Im going to give you some advice. You may not need as much protien, you may just need proper moisturization. The line of demarcation between relaxed and new growth hair is very fragile. Avoid too much manipulation ie combing brushing styling. concentrate your moisturizer there and on your ends. Deep conditioning is essential. Once a week minumum with a good moisturizing conditioner. Water is your friend. Seal in your moisture with a good oil.

I stretch for 6 months at a time with no breakage. Im now on my 3rd 6 month stretch.

Take it from someone who just completed my transitioning process in July. Detangle with you hair wet. I would do it in the shower, the running water helps and do it in sections. And moisture is the key.

I'm almost one year into my transition and in the beginning I had a problem with shedding. It stopped when I began using alter ego hot oil garlic treatment weekly as a DC. I do this treatment first on dry hair and leave it on for min 1 hr (sometimes longer) followed by co-washing with a mositurizing conditioner or protein conditioner (I alternate between Nexus Humectress and Aveda DR). Followed by a heavy moisturizing conditioner (Paul Mitchell Super charged Moisturizer) . I only shampoo when I feel a build up. This reggie has helped me tremendously.

Have you tried braid outs. I think that will help you with tangling. Also, I agree with a high moisture regimen and just protein as needed.

I agree with what the ladies have said about maintaining proper moisture and protein balance. I'm a fellow transitioner who has just experienced a lot of breakage in the last two months. For the first 12 months of my transition, things were easy as pie. But the longer my transition went, the more I had to be careful about manipulating my hair too much. I didn't heed my own warning, so now I'm dealing with a lot of breakage myself ... and it's right at the line of demarcation between the two textures. Truly a case of too much manipulation, I think.

So the bottom line is: moisture, protein, don't over manipulate the hair. If you keep those things in check, you should be good.

You may want to do an Aphogee treament. I am 6 months post relaxer (TODAY!!!). Since begining my transition. I've used the Aphogee Protein Treatment twice (the instructions say use it every 6 weeks).

you have to try this and see if helps your situation; because it surely helped mine.

Also, I use the Aphogee 2min Keratin Reconstructor when I wash my hair (once a week) on seperate occassions.

Lastly, use a moisturizing conditioner after that treatment ( some people dont like the Aphogee one that come with it)

ETA: Dont buy a bunch of stuff please. Do a search and try to find what the problem is with YOUR hair
aphogee-two-step-protein-treatment.jpg
The New Package Set

100918A.jpg
The Oldie

APH%20K2MR%201.jpg
The Reconstructor

Thanks! I was thinking I need to try the Aphogee treatment; I never tried it before. When I first decided to transition and had new growth I went crazy on buying products going over my budget I wanted to trying to see what worked for my hair best , I had to slow down on it anyway.

Thanks guys! My biggest thing though is that I've been doing everything said. It's not really my ends that are having the problem because I'm anal about hiding them at night and keeping them moisturized. I don't manipulate my hair alot because most of the time I just do a wash and go and I only straighten it once a month to avoid the combing/brushing/etc. My hair isn't long enough to do a ponytail or bun so its hard to look for other styles and for some reason I'm not a fan of twist/braid outs.. probably because I'm lazy =\ In my comb instead of short pieces of hair looking as if my ends are breaking, their all long pieces like my hair is just sliding out. it freaks me out and I dont know what I'm doing wrong.

For my wash and go's, i made this moisturizing spray with water, evoo, and my leave in conditioner. I spray it in my most dry spots throughout the day and I put it in a old body spray bottle so it comes with me everywhere in my big bag of crap.

I'm gonna try the aphogee treatment because I think it just needs a good treatment.

Back