Transitioning with Braid Outs

Cherokee-n-Black

Anyone care to share/trade tips? I've transitioned twice before with braid outs then chickened out and permed again--once in college and once for my wedding. I'm about 13 months post and in that REALLY tough stage where you know you ought to BC but aren't ready to rock the short (Unknown) hair.

This is the farthest I've ever gotten, but I'm having a tough time finding products that smooth the natural hair and define the braid pattern for the relaxed hair. I used to use a product by dark n' lovely that did the trick but it's discontinued. Would love some braid-out specific product recs or any techniques. My issues are: dryness, midday poof, and no second day hair :( Hellllp! :spinning:

allmundjoi

Ok, I am not transitioning and am fully natural, but I have been rocking twist n curls daily for the past 2-3 weeks. So, from my limited experience,

After I wash I put in KCKT (love it! I've been using for 2 yrs) then GDLI (Giovanni Direct Leave In) then a little evoo OR Kimmay tube leave in OR Chicoro's leave in. If I just cowash I may just add a little KCKT. I have recently started using SM Curl & Style Milk in my wet hair-put about quarter sized drop in my palm and put in hair. Then while hair is damp, not dripping, two strand twist-add a liitle more SMCSM to each twist and seal ends w/hemp or wheat germ oil then put on the satin covered rollers on the ends. The next morning I take the twists down. They are soft, shiny AND defined. I have also recently been using my Hawaiian Silky 14n1 to spray in my roots. So far so good. I hear people use Cantu Leave In instead of the SMCSM, I may try that. When I was transitioning the Cantu Leave In keep my hair soft.

If you're protein sensitive, both the GDLI and Hawaiian Silky have protein in them.

Sent from my DROIDX

Cherokee-n-Black

Ok, I am not transitioning and am fully natural, but I have been rocking twist n curls daily for the past 2-3 weeks. So, from my limited experience,

After I wash I put in KCKT (love it! I've been using for 2 yrs) then GDLI (Giovanni Direct Leave In) then a little evoo OR Kimmay tube leave in OR Chicoro's leave in. If I just cowash I may just add a little KCKT. I have recently started using SM Curl & Style Milk in my wet hair-put about quarter sized drop in my palm and put in hair. Then while hair is damp, not dripping, two strand twist-add a liitle more SMCSM to each twist and seal ends w/hemp or wheat germ oil then put on the satin covered rollers on the ends. The next morning I take the twists down. They are soft, shiny AND defined. I have also recently been using my Hawaiian Silky 14n1 to spray in my roots. So far so good. I hear people use Cantu Leave In instead of the SMCSM, I may try that. When I was transitioning the Cantu Leave In keep my hair soft.

If you're protein sensitive, both the GDLI and Hawaiian Silky have protein in them.

Sent from my DROIDX

Girl! I got tired just reading that! I have a few questions: How heavy-handed are you with the products? You use three different leave ins? Do you apply to the whole head or in sections? I am usually good with acronyms but what is the SMCSM? I really have no idea if I'm protein sensitive. I think not, but thanks for the heads up, just in case. How long does your twist out last?

FTR: I've tried twist outs and 1) the hair won't stay twisted and 2) The twist out has no curl pattern, it's just straightish with a little wave. What am I doing wrong?

allmundjoi

Girl! I got tired just reading that! I have a few questions: How heavy-handed are you with the products? You use three different leave ins? Do you apply to the whole head or in sections? I am usually good with acronyms but what is the SMCSM? I really have no idea if I'm protein sensitive. I think not, but thanks for the heads up, just in case. How long does your twist out last?

FTR: I've tried twist outs and 1) the hair won't stay twisted and 2) The twist out has no curl pattern, it's just straightish with a little wave. What am I doing wrong?

Lol. No, I just use one leave in-which one depends on how fancy im feelin'. Tonight I cowashed with Aussie Moist in 4 sections-used clips to hold them. Shirt dried with clips still in. Put in KCKT and GDLI a section (there are 4) at a time. Then started 2 strand twist on DAMP hair (you may get a different look on twisting on dry hair) a section at a time.My twists are about the thickness of sharpie. Before I did each twist, I just put a lil Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk (SMCSM) on the two parts of hair-make sure the length of hair is coated, from root to tip. I guess I could just as easily put the SMCSM on a section at a time like I did with the leave ins-i just wanna make sure I get each hair. Then put a lil wheat germ oil (has natural ceramides) on the last inch or half an inch of the twists to seal. Then I put 2 of the twists on a satin covered roller and roll em up about an inch. I just want the very ends to have a curl-that will mask your relaxed ends.

I let it last 2-3 days. To make it last, i put the existing twistout in big chunky twists, without finger combing or detangling to much, and roll the ends. I might have a big chunky twist w/2-3 small rollers on the end. I remoisturize the ends w/ a lil spritz of avg/water just to get a lil damp and add a lil more, just a dab, of SMCSM to the ends.

Honestly, I am an insomniac, so its nothing for me to twist new twists every night.

Are you twisting out on dry or wet hair? And what are you putting in it...not to sound like a twistout guru at all. I am still learning, but this technique is leaving my hair and me very happy. :)

Sent from my DROIDX