Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Smiley79

Hey Ladies. Welcome aboard to all. So I think we should check in about every 2 weeks. The delicate nature of this process calls for more frequent check ins than usual. As you modify a regimen or come up with a new tip, please do share with us because maybe someone else could find the tip useful. Also, browse through the posts on this thread and see if you find your hair twin, this could be an extra bonus to getting support or supporting someone who can relate to your exact hair type. Just some ideas....Ok, carry on fellow "Transitioners without Big Chopping". :)

BTW, to aid in my transtioning, today I decided to pass on the full head weaving I was gonna do, and instead I opted for cornrows while I rock my half wigs. So I'm gonna see how this goes because ordinarily my hair grows pretty well with my sew-ins. But I'll try the cornrow method and observe how my hair responds. And I can appreciate the money I'l be saving along the way in comparison to paying for a full head sew-in. Soooo, that's my contribution to dealing with this whole transition process for now. I'll keep y'all posted.

I'm in this is my third attempt!!!! Six months was my longest go around!!! But this time, I am not relaxing - I am two months post relax. On Friday, I had a weave installed and I am going to keep it in for at least three months!!! Natural hair here I come...

cech2204

Thank you so much for this thread!!!! I am currently 14 months post relaxer...yay!!! I felt like I was the only one who wasn't planning to do the BC.....I use weaves as my protective style. They are low maintenance and give me great growth! I'm doing another install in 3 weeks. I'll keep you ladies posted! Happy Healthy Growing!!!!

MummysGirl

43 weeks post... and counting!

I'll subscribe :yep:

My transition is going ok... nothing bad, nothing amazing... I've been sticking to the same routine for about 3 months now and looks like I'm not changing it cos it works :yep: My 3 main styles are in my siggy... I cowash 3-4 times a week, DC 2ce a week... Everything about my transition can be found HERE.

I'll be checking in.... good luck ladies!

Tanji

Co-washing with vo5/evoo/castor oil every 24-48 hours has been a godsend to me. I'm at 6 months post texlax. I also put shea butter on all the new growth down to a little past the line of demarcation and on just the ends. Then I seal from roots to tips with evoo. After that, I dry on cold with an ionic blowdrier or just airdry. I've noticed much more growth/retention since I started washing 4-5x/wk as opposed to once or twice. I wasn't sure about all that washing at first, but it has worked!
Sipp100, I, too am at 6 months post relax. I am currently wearing braids, but will be taking them out in another month. At that time, I would like to frequently condition wash my hair. My question is, when you co-wash every day/few days, do you put product such as the leave-ins and oils everytime? Should I plan on putting products in my hair and co-washing them out the next day? Just wondering, because that is what I was doing before going into braids. Do you use a lot of product or just a small amount each time as leave ins? Thanks for your advice.

ChristmasCarol

Sipp100, I, too am at 6 months post relax. I am currently wearing braids, but will be taking them out in another month. At that time, I would like to frequently condition wash my hair. My question is, when you co-wash every day/few days, do you put product such as the leave-ins and oils everytime? Should I plan on putting products in my hair and co-washing them out the next day? Just wondering, because that is what I was doing before going into braids. Do you use a lot of product or just a small amount each time as leave ins? Thanks for your advice.
Tanji, I use the unrefined shea butter and oils every day. I apply the shea butter as if I'm going to relax hair. I make small parts then apply just a teensy-weensy bit to each section at the roots (new growth) and then the ends. With the oil, I part my hair into about 6 sections and apply with my palms from root to ends. I don't use a whole lot because I know I'm gonna do the same thing the next day. I reapply shea around the hairline and to the ends before I braid my hair for bed. I don't use any other products on my hair at all. Hope that makes sense.

GodivaChocolate

I'm in, not sure when I last relaxed but I'm thinking about 7 months to 1 yr ago, so, I'm half natural and half relaxed. I wish I would've never relaxed, but it was about 6 months after I had my DD and my hair shed something terrible. so my ends are thin but the new growth is sooooooooooooo thick..but I'm in!

carmencan

I'm at the beginning of my 19th week and 3.5 months preggers so no chemicals for me. I will definately be relaxer free until April 2010 so why bother perming after that. I go to Too Groovy in Atl. once every 2-3 weeks and when not flat ironed I am condishioned and pinned up. Happy Hair Growing everyone...:yep:

Smiley79

I'm in, not sure when I last relaxed but I'm thinking about 7 months to 1 yr ago, so, I'm half natural and half relaxed. I wish I would've never relaxed, but it was about 6 months after I had my DD and my hair shed something terrible. so my ends are thin but the new growth is sooooooooooooo thick..but I'm in!

Me too!!!! My roots are super thick with noticeably thinner ends but thank GOD no shedding so far.

blksndrlla

So....I'm in...15 months post. I am trying to get a styling regimen down. I am currently in small individual twists. I just roll the ends. This is going pretty well. Hopefully, it will continue that way and I can keep it up. I wasn't going to trim anymore until Jan., but I think the next time I twist I will b/c I found where the majority of my splits are...my crown. It it thicker, coarser and longer than the rest of my hair. Unfortunately, when I trim that portion...it'll be all natural...probably. Well, I look forward to continuing my transition with you ladies.

I don't plan on ridding myself of the relaxed ends until at least next fall, but probably Spring/Summer 2010. I am a slow grower with too much shrinkage...so, i'll just be over here...doing my thing.

I plan on going ayurvedic for soon...when I have time to really sort it all out. Is any one ayruvedic already?!

RockCreak

I'm in....I'm about 17wks post.....whew! But I'm hanging in their.. I'm cutting a little as I go... but very little....

Shea butter whipped with evco has truly been a big savior for me...

I keep it simple and find that less is more for me and dd...she's texlaxed...

poookie

i think i'm in! i'm 7 weeks post now. anyone going the distance without using wigs, weaves, or heat?

MummysGirl

Me :yep: I'm 10 months post and it's still going well :grin:

My main styles are in my siggy... rollersets are very few and very far between. Last time was June.

i think i'm in! i'm 7 weeks post now. anyone going the distance without using wigs, weaves, or heat?

blksndrlla

I tried each of those, but not anymore...
sew-in: 9 days
kinky twist: 9-days
Now, flat-ironing...that's another story...6 months and then sporadically for a check.

I will not be wasting anymore money on weave, but I can't promise my CHI won't call my name. I am on a personal no flat iron challenge until after december...so, we'll see. So far, so good.

blksndrlla

I'm in....I'm about 17wks post.....whew! But I'm hanging in their.. I'm cutting a little as I go... but very little....

Shea butter whipped with evco has truly been a big savior for me...

I keep it simple and find that less is more for me and dd...she's texlaxed...

I finally mixed my shea butter w/ evco and a dash of evoo and peppermint oil...SHEER FANTASTICNESS! My hair has responded quite well...it doesn't like straight shea butter, but this is a keeper.

(Sorry I didn't put all that in one post)

SherylsTresses

I'm 11 weeks post, 1.5 inches of NG and transitioning to natural. Last weekend I rollerset, airdried and flat iron my roots. Current length is closing in on MBL, probably already there. :yep: Not sure if my ends needs dusting though.

If I'm experience any shedding, I'll add 4 teaspoons of pure garlic powder to half bottle of V05 and rinse with strawberries and cream. No purchasing Alter Ego Conditioner for me.

Last edited:

Scorpimini14720

I would love to join! I just shared with my sister that I am going to go natural and she is quite pleased to hear although she doesn't believe me. (She has beautiful waistlength dreads) If I start sharing with everyone that I am transitioning then I will have to stay committed. :yep: Thank you ladies.

I am currently 22 weeks post and wear mostly pin ups and buns throughout the week. On the weekends I wear my hair straight. I am 2 inches away from full APL and I want to get to full BSL before I start trimming.

Oh, forgot to add, I am presently transitioning with BKT. Hair feels stronger and I have no detangling issues and NG is still super thick.

Smiley79

I'll set myself a reminder to announce every 2 weeks or so to find out updates from everyone.

I agre with Scorpi....by making this commitment with all of you, it will force me to stay foucused on this goal, lol,

blksndrlla

BTW, are you all finding that you should cowash more often to deal with all the new growth?

I was for a while, but I had breakage around my edges from the bunning...I'm a tight bunner. So, until I find another style I like with frequent co-washing...I'll just do low manipulation and weekly-ish cowashing...

Scorpimini14720

BTW, are you all finding that you should cowash more often to deal with all the new growth?

I cowash almost everyday. Mainly because I sweat alot in my head when I work out. Sometimes I cowash & a sometimes i just rinse my hair. That's mainly the reason I don't have a hairstyle during the week :ohwell:

blksndrlla, do you still wear buns now, because that is my favorite & easiest PS. :sad: I don't think I bun tight, but do you have any suggestions so my edges don't break?

TIA