Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

GettingKinky

@divachyk I haven't had a hard time with either but I think relaxed to texlax was more difficult because I had to get used to my hair being less smooth and shiny. But since I'm hair lazy and mostly wear buns and ponytails the transitions haven't been that bad.

PlainJane

22 months post...and after my last wash day I think it's time I start washing my hair in twists.

Does anyone in here still wash their hair loose?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
@GettingKinky @rileypak what helps you to wash in loose sections? My hair is very tangle prone so it is a no-go for me right now unless of course, I stumble upon a good technique? My hair has a tendency to clump and dread up.

GettingKinky

@divachyk @greenandchic

I usually pre poo but not always. When I wash I never scrub my hair or pile it up on my head. I only work in the poo/conditioner along the length and I rinse with my hair going straight down. It gets a little tangled, but it's not so bad.

I also rarely full detangle my hair. I just use a very wide tooth comb, so I'm sure there are always tables left. When my stylist detangle a before she flatironed I always lose more hair.

greenandchic

@divachyk @greenandchic

I usually pre poo but not always. When I wash I never scrub my hair or pile it up on my head. I only work in the poo/conditioner along the length and I rinse with my hair going straight down. It gets a little tangled, but it's not so bad.

I also rarely full detangle my hair. I just use a very wide tooth comb, so I'm sure there are always tables left. When my stylist detangle a before she flatironed I always lose more hair.

@GettingKinky - Thanks for the info! I never pile either but I never washed in sections either (even when natural). I'm only ~25 weeks post so things could change in a few months when the multiple textures are more apparent on my head.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
@GettingKinky @rileypak what helps you to wash in loose sections? My hair is very tangle prone so it is a no-go for me right now unless of course, I stumble upon a good technique? My hair has a tendency to clump and dread up.

@divachyk @greenandchic
I pre-poo every wash and detangle fairly good before I wash.
I apply my shampoo on dry hair/scalp before I get in the shower, right on top of my pre-poo. Part through each section, applying and rubbing shampoo on my scalp, put a little shampoo on the ends then pin it up.
In the shower- I work one section at a time, always stretching my hair down and when I scritch my scalp one last time before rinsing I hold my hair down and away from my scalp (I guess that make sense...it's looking weird written out :spinning:). I basically don't have too much manipulating to do once I'm in the shower because I've done most of it already. I'm really only rinsing the shampoo out once I'm in there and since applying DC isn't too much handling, my chances for tangling are slim.

Last edited:

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
@greenandchic
I use both. I'm using oils for the fall/winter.
In particular: APB Green Powerhouse Oil, Afroveda Methika Pre-Shampoo Oil, Hairveda Vatika Frosting, & Tropic Isle Coconut JBCO.

I use conditioners in the spring/summer. Just whatever I have on hand or that I didn't like as a DC. Although I do want to eventually find two cost-effective conditioners that will serve for pre-poos.

greenandchic

@greenandchic
I use both. I'm using oils for the fall/winter.
In particular: APB Green Powerhouse Oil, Afroveda Methika Pre-Shampoo Oil, Hairveda Vatika Frosting, & Tropic Isle Coconut JBCO.

I use conditioners in the spring/summer. Just whatever I have on hand or that I didn't like as a DC. Although I do want to eventually find two cost-effective conditioners that will serve for pre-poos.

The oils sounds delicious! I normally use coconut oil but maybe I should branch out - especially as my NG gets longer.

greenandchic

@greenandchic when I prepoo I use a mix of grapeseed oil and AO conditioner. I only wash once a week, at most twice. I workout a lot, but I don't think my hair smells. I'm pretty sure DH would say something to me if it did.

Thankfully my scalp doesn't smell either, but I get the itchies like crazy. I think its the dried, salty sweat.

I will try using a conditioner/oil mix next time.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm interested in seeing if this natural thing is for me by chopping a small, emphasis on small, section of hair. What part of my head should I test this out at? The crown is the roughest and coarsest -- would that be the best indicator since it's the most problematic area?

bklynbornNbred

I wouldn't do the worst section. I have two areas that I can't figure out if it's different texture or if I inadvertently caused heat damage when I was transitioning (or the one time I straightened after my chop). If I tested on those spots I'd be relaxed again now. Pick a small section behind your ear inside from the edge so it can be covered.

To clarify the rest of my hair is 4a and with length I'll be good with managing it. Your section that is rough may need moisture/protein or is just different texture. Go with what majority of your head is.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I'm interested in seeing if this natural thing is for me by chopping a small, emphasis on small, section of hair. What part of my head should I test this out at? The crown is the roughest and coarsest -- would that be the best indicator since it's the most problematic area?

@divachyk Are you a bang kinda girl? I cut bangs and get to play around with those for styling and figuring out what products my natural hair likes. You know what I learned? It's no different from my transitioning hair as far as detangling, products nor styling. Gave me the skrenth (yes skrenth) to keep growing lol

Well I guess that wouldnt be a small area lol

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@divachyk @greenandchic
I pre-poo every wash and detangle fairly good before I wash.
I apply my shampoo on dry hair/scalp before I get in the shower, right on top of my pre-poo. Part through each section, applying and rubbing shampoo on my scalp
, put a little shampoo on the ends then pin it up.
In the shower- I work one section at a time, always stretching my hair down and when I scritch my scalp one last time before rinsing I hold my hair down and away from my scalp (I guess that make sense...it's looking weird written out :spinning:). I basically don't have too much manipulating to do once I'm in the shower because I've done most of it already. I'm really only rinsing the shampoo out once I'm in there and since applying DC isn't too much handling, my chances for tangling are slim.

@rileypak I do the same. Ensures I'm getting a very clean scalp. :boxing: I rinse it all out together then do one final shampoo to get the hair clean.

GettingKinky

I did this with my nape. It doesn't show and now it's long enough again that it goes into my ponytail. My texture is definitely the loosest there, but I'm afraid to try anywhere else.

Actually I did a small spot on my crown once, but now I can't find it. I guess my hair is thick enough that the very small spot I did got buried.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I'm a little over 16 months post and I'm so tempted to cut it today. I'm just bored. Trying to keep myself busy
If you feel your ready go for it. If you're unsure wait a few days and see if you're sti tempted to cut. Cut a piece in a inconspicuous spot and see how you feel about the length.