Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Ladies, I have been considering removing the rest of my relaxed hair BUT I'm unsure if I'm ready for the awkward style-less phase. I would likely wear wigs to hold me over until I get a little more length. The only true thing that's stopping me is, I'd have to cut some good natural hair to get a style of some sort because my part natural/part relaxed crown is shorter than my fully natural nape. I'm being stingy right now, I really don't want to give up any (natural) hair if I don't have to.

toaster

Ladies, I have been considering removing the rest of my relaxed hair BUT I'm unsure if I'm ready for the awkward style-less phase. I would likely wear wigs to hold me over until I get a little more length. The only true thing that's stopping me is, I'd have to cut some good natural hair to get a style of some sort because my part natural/part relaxed crown is shorter than my fully natural nape. I'm being stingy right now, I really don't want to give up any (natural) hair if I don't have to.
@divachyk If you plan on wearing wigs anyway, is there a reason you don't want to cut the relaxed ends off? Is your natural hair long enough to flat twist or twist and wear a stocking cap so you can continue to wear wigs until you're at a comfortable length?

halfindian

Leave the relaxed hair in the front and twist or braid out. If you're wearing wigs it won't matter but if you want to go for a puff you'll have a little blending to do.

divachyk

@toaster, although I enjoy wearing wigs, I also love going without them too, especially in this brutal summer heat. I wore wigs for almost 18 months non-stop at the beginning of this transition so I'll do what I have to do to get by, even if that means wearing them non-stop again...but, it would be nice not having to though. Your avi is amazing!

@halfindian, Yes, it's long enough to flat twist or half wig it. That's a great option too.

divachyk

@toaster @GettingKinky @halfindian, I reached out to the stylist that cut my hair a few weeks back and expressed my desires and concerns. She feels I have enough natural hair to not be style challenged. I am having a time with my back and it seems like wash days are really doing a number on it. I'm talking back spasms and strained muscles. Now you know that's foolish. I'm ready for this to be over. More to come!

halfindian

Ladies hang in there and think long and hard before BCing. Different people have different reactions and only you can tell yourself go for it. Others can only advise you but they are not the ones to deal with it after you BC. And when you hit those style challenged days they are not there. In the Caribbean there are many natural chicas but what looks good on someone may not look good on you.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
It's one month past my 1 year nappiversary and I can't believe I didn't transition sooner. I def had to transition when I felt confident I could handle the look. Boy o boy... I learned a lot.

I protected style 90% of my transition but I made sure I used products for my natural hair so my demarcation line wouldn't tangle.

I've had more hair styles and maybe a handful of bad hair days than when I was relaxed.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@halfindian, great advice. Many on social media thought I should have big chopped long time ago. Ummm, ok. Thanks for that! However, I never move to action based on what others think. I vent a lot because it helps me cope or I need attention...not sure which. But, in the end, talking it out helps me get through those frustrating moments. :look:

Listen, it is not easy transitioning. Especially when it happens unintentionally. With transitioning, there are no regrets and at any time you can always make an either or decision. You have to do what your ready to do.

divachyk

I use to always wear my hair short. I'm talking, so short that I could barely curl it in some spots. If my hair wasn't cut, it was colored. I enjoyed myself thoroughly in my late teens, early 20s. (My aunt was a hair stylist so I had that luxury)

Somewhere down the line, I became obsessed with long hair. Not sure what that was about. I think it was out of convenience and just being lazy.

Transitioning has made me fall back in love with short hair like the good ol' days. In truth, I think I look better with short hair. I'm even wanting to add a pop of color. So yeah, I'm kinda feeling myself like I wanna get that ol' thang back. :toocool:

Perhaps this is my midlife crisis. :drunk:

futureapl

Hi ladies. I've been lurking around this thread for a while. I am currently transitioning. I haven't relaxed my hair since December. The struggle is now real. This week my hair has felt dry and just plain hard. Oh and full of tangles no matter how much I detangle. I was wondering if anyone has any advice. During my past two wash days I've been cowashing aussie condition, using Mizani leave in, As I Am moisturizing cream, and coconut oil. Please help.

TeeMBL

Lurker
I've been lurking as well, and I think I've decided to transition. My last relaxer was in November. I came to the conclusion that no matter what I do my hair doesn't feel moisturized after wash day. I am ashamed to say that I think its a porosity issue, when I did the water test my hair did not sink at all. So this weekend I'm going to incorporate Roux into my regimen and see how that helps.

futureapl

@TeeMBL I just did the water test and my hair didn't sink at all. I really don't want to purchase anymore products though. I think I remember reading somewhere on here that ACV and/or aloe Vera juice help with porosity issues too. I could be wrong though.