Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

TeeMBL

Lurker
@TeeMBL I just did the water test and my hair didn't sink at all. I really don't want to purchase anymore products though. I think I remember reading somewhere on here that ACV and/or aloe Vera juice help with porosity issues too. I could be wrong though.

Yea I read that too about ACV. I'm worried about trying to find the right balance of acv to water, that's why I'm just willing to buy Roux. Please let me know if you try it and it works for you!

halfindian

Hi ladies. I've been lurking around this thread for a while. I am currently transitioning. I haven't relaxed my hair since December. The struggle is now real. This week my hair has felt dry and just plain hard. Oh and full of tangles no matter how much I detangle. I was wondering if anyone has any advice. During my past two wash days I've been cowashing aussie condition, using Mizani leave in, As I Am moisturizing cream, and coconut oil. Please help.

Welcome to the group. One suggestion if you have not tried it is to detangle in sections. You may need to do more than 6 sections if it is very tangled. Use a product with lots of slip. For the dry hair I'd recommend DCing often and moisturising twice daily.

Last edited:

halfindian

I've been lurking as well, and I think I've decided to transition. My last relaxer was in November. I came to the conclusion that no matter what I do my hair doesn't feel moisturized after wash day. I am ashamed to say that I think its a porosity issue, when I did the water test my hair did not sink at all. So this weekend I'm going to incorporate Roux into my regimen and see how that helps.

Welcome to the group.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Yo! I had the best and fastest wash day ever a few days ago. I did not detangle before hopping in the shower, knowing the risks I was taking. However, my natural hair melted under the water and it was a breeze. The relaxed hair was being as per the usual (difficult) but because I have such little relaxed hair left, it wasn't enough to slow up my flow. This is what dreams are really made of.

halfindian

Yo! I had the best and fastest wash day ever a few days ago. I did not detangle before hopping in the shower, knowing the risks I was taking. However, my natural hair melted under the water and it was a breeze. The relaxed hair was being as per the usual (difficult) but because I have such little relaxed hair left, it wasn't enough to slow up my flow. This is what dreams are really made of.

Guuuuurrrrlll you were breezing through that hair!!! Go you!!!!!!

halfindian

Hope we have some threads on beeswax. I want to give it a try with twists. Major TLC needed. I don't know what is going on with my hairline. I'll have to take a break from the pony puffs for a while and real love up the edges and kitchen area. Thinking of trying this out.

Attachments

• Updo-twists-out.jpg
    Updo-twists-out.jpg
    729.4 KB · Views: 53

futureapl

Yea I read that too about ACV. I'm worried about trying to find the right balance of acv to water, that's why I'm just willing to buy Roux. Please let me know if you try it and it works for you!

I used 4 oz. of ACV and 8 oz. of water. I noticed a slight difference. My hair feels soft and the curls are popping. My hair is still a little dry though. I detangled before shampooing and still ended up with a tangled mess. I spent hours last night detangling. I'm not sure if there is a way to avoid this.

TeeMBL

Lurker
I used 4 oz. of ACV and 8 oz. of water. I noticed a slight difference. My hair feels soft and the curls are popping. My hair is still a little dry though. I detangled before shampooing and still ended up with a tangled mess. I spent hours last night detangling. I'm not sure if there is a way to avoid this.

Similar story. I used Roux on Saturday, detangled before shampooing, washed in braids, DC with heat, and twist up. It felt a little "different" but still dry by the next day. I've read it takes a few sessions so I guess I'll see how next week goes and continue my daily leave in. I'm ready to braid it up for the summer so I hope I get this taken care of soon.

ETA: My hair feels great and well moisturized on day 3. I've been spritzing with my AVJ/distilled water/glycerin, and lightly with shea butter, seal with JBCO.

Last edited:

indarican

Hey all, I haven't posted in quite a while, i missed the boards!
So I am transitioning again.... by accident actually, I have not gotten a perm since November due to pregnancy and I guess I just don't want to go back. So now its been about 7 months and I don't have much new growth, not nearly as much as I thought it would. I always heard all the old wives tales about pregnant woman with this long luxurious hair, guess that skipped me. I will say that my new growth has been sooo tame, I have had no problems so far and the black gel has become like my Bestest BFF, it was something that I had never tried before, I always thought it would make my hair hard as a rock. So I figure that I will transition for at least another 6 months before I even think about cutting.

halfindian

Hey all, I haven't posted in quite a while, i missed the boards!
So I am transitioning again.... by accident actually, I have not gotten a perm since November due to pregnancy and I guess I just don't want to go back. So now its been about 7 months and I don't have much new growth, not nearly as much as I thought it would. I always heard all the old wives tales about pregnant woman with this long luxurious hair, guess that skipped me. I will say that my new growth has been sooo tame, I have had no problems so far and the black gel has become like my Bestest BFF, it was something that I had never tried before, I always thought it would make my hair hard as a rock. So I figure that I will transition for at least another 6 months before I even think about cutting.
Welcome! Nice having you.

angelmilk

Soo I just got my very first relaxer about 2 months ago...And already I know I am back on the road to natural. Relaxed hair is just so fragile! And coming from low porosity kinda strong 4a/4b hair...My hair seems sooooo flat! Iam a big hair girl I don't know why on earth I would relax my hair :(:(:( *sigh* I hope to transition for about 2 years.. wish me luck! This situation gives me an even greater love for my curls.

Sosoothing

Soo I just got my very first relaxer about 2 months ago...And already I know I am back on the road to natural. Relaxed hair is just so fragile! And coming from low porosity kinda strong 4a/4b hair...My hair seems sooooo flat! Iam a big hair girl I don't know why on earth I would relax my hair :(:(:( *sigh* I hope to transition for about 2 years.. wish me luck! This situation gives me an even greater love for my curls.

How long were you natural before relaxing 2 months ago?

Sosoothing

My entire life lol..although I had dreads for 5 years. I did it just because I never had before and I thought maintenance would be easier.
Oh wow. Your whole life is a long time. I'm not surprised you didn't like it (relaxing) since natural is all you have known. I'm considering transitioning myself. I have had natural hair for more than half my life before. It's currently texlaxed though.

toaster

@divachyk I would honestly saturate my hair in conditioner and cut the relaxed ends myself (when you're ready). Give yourself a few weeks to style your hair as is, and then go to a stylist for a shaping cut IF you think you need one and are ready to lose some length.

Any kind of shaping is going to require losing length on some parts of your head. It's just about what you're ready for

GettingKinky

I think I've figured out my plan. I'm going to trim 1 inch every 8 weeks when I get my hair colored. If I do that I will be rid of all my texlaxed ends in about 46 weeks and my hair will only be 1-1.5 inches shorter than it is now. I think I can live with that. That would put my transition just shy of 3 years.

greenandchic

I know I need to start trimming my hair more often. The texlaxed parts are getting more fragile. I also need to start using more protein just on those sections as well. My natural hair never did well with heavy protein but I may try it again on the processed sections.