Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I am 8 months into my transition and have had no problems so far. I use curlformers to style my hair most of the time. Recently, I discovered Cantu Argan Oil Leave In Hair Repair, which gives me great definition. My hair is really soft and wavy after using. I have also been going to the salon to get it styled professionally also. This great in the winter but during the summer, I intend to do it myself with no salon visits. I am going to learn how to install flexirods and wear nice buns, pony tails, etc.

How does your stylist style your hair - what products does she use? How does she blend to the two textures?

divachyk

I just washed my hair for the first time after having it straightened and trimmed 2 weeks ago. I STILL have straight ends in the front. It seems like they never get any shorter. I'm starting to wonder if my curl pattern in the front is just really loose.

33 months down 3 to go.

That could be. My nape had me confused at first. As it turns out, it's just a looser curl pattern.

DST1913

I havent checked in, in awhile. I am now 1yr and 1 mo post relaxer. The more new growth I get the easier it is to manage. Once I found the right products it all fell into place. SM raw shea butter shampoo, Olive oil and Oyin hair dew have been game changers for me. I have mostly been wearing crotchet braids, goddess braids and box braids

I started out collar bone and it's now grazing APL If I cut the relaxed ends I would be neck length. Im ready to cut but my bf who has been really patient with this transition would not like it at all. He said he was ok with me going natural as long as I don't cut into a TWA or stop wearing deodorant. Lol... I know we should do things for ourselves but I do consider his feelings. I hate when he cuts his beard off so he doesnt do it even though he likes no facial hair. So I said this is the least I could do.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I havent checked in, in awhile. I am now 1yr and 1 mo post relaxer. The more new growth I get the easier it is to manage. Once I found the right products it all fell into place. SM raw shea butter shampoo, Olive oil and Oyin hair dew have been game changers for me. I have mostly been wearing crotchet braids, goddess braids and box braids

I started out collar bone and it's now grazing APL If I cut the relaxed ends I would be neck length. Im ready to cut but my bf who has been really patient with this transition would not like it at all. He said he was ok with me going natural as long as I don't cut into a TWA or stop wearing deodorant. Lol... I know we should do things for ourselves but I do consider his feelings. I hate when he cuts his beard off so he doesnt do it even though he likes no facial hair. So I said this is the least I could do.

You have to do what works for you.

If it's manageable, don't cut. Honestly, neck length is manageable. You should still be able to get a ponytail from that. When I chopped, my hair was neck length (natural, not straight). It still worked out ok.

I will add; I throw a tantrum when DH cuts his beard so I totally understand.

DST1913

If it's manageable, don't cut. Honestly, neck length is manageable. You should still be able to get a ponytail from that. When I chopped, my hair was neck length (natural, not straight). It still worked out ok.

Yea I pulled it up and have a short ponytail. If we broke up tomorrow these ends would be gone the very next day. :lachen:and the no beard makes him look 12. No Bueno

divachyk

Yea I pulled it up and have a short ponytail. If we broke up tomorrow these ends would be gone the very next day. :lachen:and the no beard makes him look 12. No Bueno

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I just washed my hair for the first time after having it straightened and trimmed 2 weeks ago. I STILL have straight ends in the front. It seems like they never get any shorter. I'm starting to wonder if my curl pattern in the front is just really loose.

33 months down 3 to go.
Your hair in the front may just be a looser pattern. My hair is looser in the front.
Straightening and pulling it back may also loosen it as well. Congratulations on only having 3 months to go.

VictoriousBrownFlower

Thanks @Coilystep @divachyk

I'll try again next weekend. I've read lots of good stuff about wetline extreme gel.

I've seen mixed reviews about wetline. Some love it and some get terrible shrinkage with it. If you're looking for something cheap that will define and elongate your curls I would go with eco styler. If your hair's not protein sensitive it's awesome.

My hair is sorta protein sensitive but I can still get away with using it if I up my moisture with deep conditioning with heat. If that's not enough do a moisturizing dc for a few hrs to overnight.

Super wet hair is a must for definition imo.

Last but not least try doing a final rinse with cool water. It really does make a difference.

When trying new combos remember to mix them on the back of your hand to see if they mesh well and try getting the smallest container of gel they have while you're experimenting so you don't waste money. And make sure you have fun while discovering what your hair can do.

Don't forget to post pics when you get it all fig out.

GettingKinky

I've seen mixed reviews about wetline. Some love it and some get terrible shrinkage with it. If you're looking for something cheap that will define and elongate your curls I would go with eco styler. If your hair's not protein sensitive it's awesome.

My hair is sorta protein sensitive but I can still get away with using it if I up my moisture with deep conditioning with heat. If that's not enough do a moisturizing dc for a few hrs to overnight.

Super wet hair is a must for definition imo.

Last but not least try doing a final rinse with cool water. It really does make a difference.

When trying new combos remember to mix them on the back of your hand to see if they mesh well and try getting the smallest container of gel they have while you're experimenting so you don't waste money. And make sure you have fun while discovering what your hair can do.

Don't forget to post pics when you get it all fig out.

Thanks for all the great info! Especially the one about mixing products on the back of my hand. I can't wait to start experimenting.

*Champion 8675*

2 Year 1 month transitioning. Rocking rollerset all winter. Rocking flat twist out this week. My first since last fall.

I deep condition every week. Hot oil treatment monthly. ACV on scalp...Monthly. Going to try ACV with betonite clay, sweet almond oil tea tree oil next.

Easier to handle straight natural than re twisting every night. Going to get a trim in May. Start getting trims every 3 months now. Ends are in good condition. :arrowright::clap::wiggle:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
2 Year 1 month transitioning. Rocking rollerset all winter. Rocking flat twist out this week. My first since last fall.

I deep condition every week. Hot oil treatment monthly. ACV on scalp...Monthly. Going to try ACV with betonite clay, sweet almond oil tea tree oil next.

Easier to handle straight natural than re twisting every night. Going to get a trim in May. Start getting trims every 3 months now. Ends are in good condition. :arrowright::clap::wiggle:

If you do the bentonite make sure to use protein. That stuff strips the hair.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
Still going strong. 118 weeks today (2 years 5 months 2 weeks)!

Super easy now detangling/washing and with minimal breakage. I have probably about 2-3 inches of relaxed hair and recently have been tempted to just get rid of it. Is this how it starts? LOL

Styling is getting a bit boring as I do buns 99% of the time. I tried a twist out once and my relaxed ends didn't want to play fair. I did a roller set a couple of times too and though it turned out OK I didn't want to do too much manipulation and had more breakage than usual at wash day. I am going to give a braid out a try next week.

Ultimate goal is completing my transition in January (3 year mark). Let's see if I make it. :look:

ETA: Got my weeks post wrong

Last edited:

Alma Petra

It's about 1 month since my last relaxer. I want to transition but I'm not sure how I will react once the natural roots start to really come in. We will see.

reallynow

Sometimes a good trim will make everything better!! I got more than a trim but it was necessary. I love my stylist. He got out a calendar so we could walk through appointments, dusting/trim schedules, home protein vs steam treatments and of course we looked at a possible date to cut off any remaining relaxer. He wants to aim for January, I'm still stuck on September (1 year) so we agreed to evaluate in Sept. and go from there.