Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Alma Petra

I do not blot. If the amount of water is excessive to me once complete, I run a heavy sealant through my hair to help soak up the water.

Really? For me the more heavily I seal, the more time it takes to diffuse dry. Gel is the worst ever in this regard. It can keep the water locked in forever. I could air dry in 3 days and I am high po!

Bad&Bougee

I wanted to see what it would be like to be all natural now that I discovered that I have curly hair. Also my hair is very spongy. I wanted to see if the relaxed ends were contributing to this frizz and sponginess. What I found out is that most parts of my twa manage an acceptable level of clumping and definition now after I chopped but the very central area is still frizzy and less defined. I think that big chopping helps a lot with definition but some hair textures are just inherently frizzy. Something else might be needed to clump them that I'm still unaware of but so far no luck. Here is what it looks like now:

Your hair is gorgeous!!

Thanks for the response. I had the same issue with my crown the 1st time I transitioned.

I asked why you BC'd the front and not the back because I was seriously thinking of BCing my crown so that I can get a jump start on the health of that area. I hadn't because I was afraid I would have challenges styling my hair but the more I think about it, the more I am convinced I will be able to disguise it.

BlessedXs2

I'm not against heat so if just a hooded dryer or even blowing on cool works, go for it.

I normally get wash day out of the way on Saturday because I know it takes my hair a day at least to dry. I also do twist as braiding takes longer to dry. T-shirt or microfiber towel drying helps to reduce the amount of water still in my hair. Leave the twist uncovered. The smaller the twist, the longer to dry. Sealers affect drying time too, as heavy sealing causes my hair to take almost 2 days to dry, while gel does not.

I've also noticed that after a protein or henna treatment, my hair dries fastest, likewise for the next wash day. After that, it's back to long drying.

Thank you for the detailed explanation! I rarely dry in twist so I will be trying that today. I also seal with Shea butter so that probably has a lot to do with it also. Never thought that smaller twist / braids would take longer. I'm taking all of your tips into my wash today. I'll air dry in large / medium twist with oil instead of Shea and sit under the dryer until mostly dry then air dry for the rest of the day! Thank you!

Bad&Bougee

Really? For me the more heavily I seal, the more time it takes to diffuse dry. Gel is the worst ever in this regard. It can keep the water locked in forever. I could air dry in 3 days and I am high po!

Very true!! Gel does extend drying time for wash and go something terrible and it gets on my nerves (although I do love me some gel!!!!!) The heavier sealant sucks up the excess water but it also gives definition and makes my hair shinier. I actually make sure my hair is sopping wet just so I can use a heavy sealant. I use very little gel because, for my hair, the excess water and heavy sealant performs the way gel does for others.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Tips on air drying?

I've been air drying in a bun I'm looking to reduce tension
I've done braids but they take 20 years to dry and I don't like leaving the house like that
I haven't used heat to dry yet and don't want to start....
any tips would be appreciated or even a healthy hair compromise

I air-dry in twists most wash days. My hair takes about 10-16 hours to dry.
I'm normally heading to bed after I finish my hair so I usually leave my twists out (just a silk scarf around my edges to lay them down) with a t-shirt/thin towel on my pillow and the ceiling fan going. If I can't run the fan, I use a t-shirt over a thick towel on my pillow.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Thank you for the detailed explanation! I rarely dry in twist so I will be trying that today. I also seal with Shea butter so that probably has a lot to do with it also. Never thought that smaller twist / braids would take longer. I'm taking all of your tips into my wash today. I'll air dry in large / medium twist with oil instead of Shea and sit under the dryer until mostly dry then air dry for the rest of the day! Thank you!

You are very welcome!

Dealing with just oil will adjust the drying time, as when I just do a WNG, I use leave in, oil and gel and it dries in a few hours. It will make a big difference, versus shea butter, which sits heavier on the hair and holds water in.

Smaller twist take longer only because for me, I'm doing a style and twist beneath the higher ones get trapped and remain wet. I've had instances where the twist at the bottom row frizz up because they were never dried and I had to take them out anyway.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@Saludable84 how often do you blow dry and what method do you do. I remember your thick relaxed hair and am amazed with your natural hair! I wish I never gave up last time I tried to transition! You've done an amazing job!

Thank you!!!

I don't use heat. I'm going on two years without and prior, I was only using heat when I was straightening. I simply airdry.

Listen, transitioning is hard. Mine went by in a blur simply because being a new mom took preference. But that one day, when I had time, I chopped a lot of hair off because I really saw my transition happening and said a decision had to be made. If I had went to plan, I'm really not sure how it would have went down.

Definitely figure out what will work best for you in the end. Don't let to much of the transition consume you.

Bad&Bougee

Thank you!!

I chose the front because I can see it more clearly and assess the degree of clumping and definition more objectively. Also I am psychologically attached to my length, which is mostly reflected in the back. I can still wear "modified" wash and goes despite the twa.

View media item 129403
View media item 129355

Oh no, I wouldn't BC either if my hair was as long as yours. I'm sad just thinking about you doing it.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hooded dryer? I'm similar to @BlessedXs2; my twist outs came out cruchy, dull looking and weren't springy both times I used the hooded dryer. Should I use different products when I dry with heat vs air dry?
Honestly, you won't get "look and movement" from the hooded dryer. It just becomes harder to execute. I know exactly what you are talking about when you say they were crunchy and dull and I completely agree. There is a certain thing air drying for certain styles.

For the dryer, I find that bulky styles dry poorly, and heat protectants work better for softening the hair. While for air drying, creams and butters are better and allows that bounce as well as moisture retention.

Bad&Bougee

Honestly, you won't get "look and movement" from the hooded dryer. It just becomes harder to execute. I know exactly what you are talking about when you say they were crunchy and dull and I completely agree. There is a certain thing air drying for certain styles.

For the dryer, I find that bulky styles dry poorly, and heat protectants work better for softening the hair. While for air drying, creams and butters are better and allows that bounce as well as moisture retention.

Thank you @Saludable84. I didn't use a heat protectant and may experiment doing so in a few weeks to see if it makes a difference.

BlessedXs2

Yesterday was a long day. 2 hours to detangle! It may be common with transitioning but up until the last 2 wash days it hasn't been that bad. I've been smooth sailing haven't had to wash in sections or anything but that ends now. I dried in large twist and it only took about 4 hours with about 30 minutes under the dryer. My hair does look kinda dull compared to regular 2 day drying but I can't have the best of both worlds while on this journey so I'll take it. My hair does feel soft and is styled nice . I'm getting braids sooner than later because this detangling is killing me. 13 or 14 months post relaxer now

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
It is finished!! I had the day off today so I got to snipping. :lol:

I, for some reason, can't upload pics. If someone can guide me, let me know.

Anyway, airdrying now after putting in ORS hair lotion, jojoba oil and gel. Going to give the WNG a try as I am super low maintenance and don't want to doing much to my hair on a daily basis and want to take a break from bun life.

I like what I see and super excited to explore this next hair chapter.

ETA: I wanted to add (for documentation sake when I look back :lol:) that I transitioned for 2 years 8 months 1 week or 32 weeks 1 week (thank you countdown app :lol:)

Last edited:

GGsKin

Anyway, airdrying now after putting in ORS hair lotion, jojoba oil and gel. Going to give the WNG a try as I am super low maintenance and don't want to doing much to my hair on a daily basis and want to take a break from bun life.

Congratulations on the end of your transition and the beginning of something new. Can't wait to see pics. I use an app to resize my pics (like instasize, photo editor). I tried earlier with my phone's edit function- which usually works- it didn't today, but it did with the insta.

Bad&Bougee

Congrats!!! Now the real fun begins.

BlessedXs2

Anyone care to guess what my texture may be it just looks a messy ball to me

Attachments

• FB820ABC-7120-4431-8F62-8C937A263701.jpeg
    FB820ABC-7120-4431-8F62-8C937A263701.jpeg
    809.3 KB · Views: 35

Alma Petra

This may be better it has a crappy dc in it I tried for the first time
Very difficult to tell. Maybe 3c/4a. You can big chop a small inconspicuous piece and allow it to curl up fully to see what your pattern is like. I was impatient and I did this and now I regularly rock a lopsided twa on top of a bun. I think I'm the only person in the world who has this hair style lol.

BlessedXs2

I did cut a very small piece of hair on my side which is crazy still doesn’t curl just looks like a Brillo pad. I know the important things about my hair but I’m drying to know what my curls may look like. The front is a slight wave and the back has major shrinkage I was thinking a 4b or 4c.

BlessedXs2

Very difficult to tell. Maybe 3c/4a. You can big chop a small inconspicuous piece and allow it to curl up fully to see what your pattern is like. I was impatient and I did this and now I regularly rock a lopsided twa on top of a bun. I think I'm the only person in the world who has this hair style lol.

Your hair is beautiful though