Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by Smiley79, Oct 17, 2009.

1. BlessedXs2

BlessedXs2 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I’ve read THIS WHOLE THREAD and saw your transition last time. You were very helpful there BRW. Can I ask why you ended up relaxing and how long are you transitioning this time?

Britt likes this.
  2. BronxJazzy

BronxJazzy Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Lol... Girl cry all you want. This transition thing is not for the faint of heart.

3. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I had a hair mishap and then relaxed over the summer. I'm currently in seneglese twists and hope to chop at 1 year post. Idk if I can do the really long transition like I did the first go around.

4. BlessedXs2

Blog Posts:
    I don’t blame you I can’t imagine doing this twice! It’s definitely been an emotional roller coaster!

Dare I say my hair is behaving!?! Last wash day when I cried and whined my hair turned out very nice. Moisturized easily detangled air dried smooth! WTH! I did a clay wash then dc with tgin miracle mask and used the butter. I thought the heavens opened up and sang on my hair. The clay had my natural hair DEFINED! I didn’t know my hair did that! Same routine and products minus the clay mask had the same results the next week. Only thing I’ll switch up next wash day is a protein dc since I recently flat ironed. I’m not sure if it’s from the heat or more quality products but my hair stretches more easily. While I don’t mind and my curl pattern looks unchanged I’d rahter be safe than sorry. This week I feel I can go forever. We’ll see how I feel next week.

lavaflow99, rileypak, Britt and 2 others like this.
  5. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    @BlessedXs2 my mom loves the clay too and swears by it. She said it makes her hair more defined and feel good. I was telling her my hair loves more protein and since her hair is finer than mine I figured it might do her some good but she said clay is better for her hair.

IDareT'sHair likes this.
  6. TeeMBL

TeeMBL Lurker

Blog Posts:
    I ended my transition in September, which was my 22 month mark. I made so many mistakes that night:
    1. It was at night, about 12 when I started chopping, so I was rushing by the end.
    2. I wet my hair to cut the relaxed ends, and then let it dry loose which turned into shrinkage beyond belief.
    3. I immediately regretted it because I wasn't prepared for the shrinkage (at least 75%).
    4. I knew something was wrong with my ends, but had no idea what.
    5. The next day I washed and DC'd, but again I let my hair dry loose so it took hours to detangle. My hair felt blah, no curl pattern whatsoever.

So I ended up braiding my hair back up, and spent the next few months focusing on moisture. This weekend I took my braids out and DC w/steam using Mielle DC (I was really concerned with the size of the jar but I used probably a quarter of the jar and it coated every strand). As I washed it out I saw my hair coil from root to ends for the first time, and fell in love :2inlove:. I twisted my hair to dry overnight, and fluffed it this morning. It is so soft, shiny, and bouncy, I fell even more in love with my hair.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  7. Coilystep

Coilystep New name.

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Congrats on your bc. I can't see your pic. I don't see gel mentioned in your post. Have you tried incorporating a gel?

IDareT'sHair and Alma Petra like this.
  8. EnExitStageLeft

EnExitStageLeft Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Hey Yall! Just popping in to say hi to all the sitioners' out there. Been there (transitioned for 20 months) and I know the struggle all to well. It'll all be worth it in the end though. I can promise you that much!

9. miss stress

miss stress Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I'e been transitioning for 24 months now. I planned to chop in Jan. to start the year anew, but I'm so scared!

AgeinATL, IDareT'sHair and Coilystep like this.
  10. Alma Petra

Alma Petra Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I have been transitioning for 8 months now and my natural hair is so short. I don't think I will big chop the rest of my hair in the next couple of years.

11. EnExitStageLeft

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I understand the feelings. It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but with time and patience it'll come together. I hope we get pictures once you chop :pray:

Coilystep and miss stress like this.
  12. EnExitStageLeft

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Do you have a lot of shrinkage? I may be longer then you think stretched

Alma Petra likes this.
  13. guyaneseyankee

guyaneseyankee Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    bumping to read later. Boy, this is long

TamaraShaniece likes this.
  14. NGraceO

NGraceO Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Two years and three months into this transition....three years is the goal! Anyone else out there still holding on?

rileypak, GGsKin, Daina and 2 others like this.
  15. BlessedXs2

Blog Posts:
    19 months in! Just cut 6 inches this past week. Hope to get to 2 years at lease

rileypak likes this.
  16. Aggie

Aggie Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm in...Trying to transition from texlaxed to natural with minor trims here and there. So far I'm 25 weeks post my last texlaxer and hoping to go for at least 18 months before taking off all the texlaxed ends. It might be sooner but I'm aiming for that much time before the big chop :yep:.

17. movingforward

movingforward Moving forward and onward

Blog Posts:
    I’m 6 months in and will chop off my relaxed ends in November.

I wish I can find some good human hair weave. I want to keep my hair hidden until then.

IDareT'sHair, rileypak and BlessedXs2 like this.
  18. BlessedXs2

Blog Posts:
    Although my mind changes with the wind I don’t think I’ll cut my hair anymore this year. Small trims here and there but no big chopping. I’m regretting this mini chop and my shrinkage has me shook. It more work than I’m used to doing and haven’t really figured out how to do the normal protective styles I live in. Really I just don’t have the time to do the stretching it requires. Hopefully that’ll change soon. But it’s hair it’s only been a week and it’ll grow back

IDareT'sHair likes this.
  19. reallynow

reallynow Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I'm at 18 months and I only planned 12. The last time I transitioned I planned on 24 months and cut at 18. I'm more than ready to cut these ends. I'm thinking of braids at the end of the month, just to give my hear a break and then cutting. Decisions...decisions.

IDareT'sHair and BlessedXs2 like this.
  20. TwoSnapsUp

TwoSnapsUp Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    My last relaxer was in December. I don't have that much new growth, but it's still been a nightmare with washing and detangling. I hate it. I can only detangle in the shower because detangling out side of it causes matting and breakage, no matter what and how much product I use. I was sadly reminded of this today. :cry3:

I've decided to keep my hair straight with D&L's anti reversion creme until I decide what I am going to do with my hair.

21. BlessedXs2

Blog Posts:
    I’m so bi polar with my hair. I ended up cutting on the 1st and I absolutely love it!! I do miss my big bun but my curls are popping and it’s so much easier to mange now!! Happy I transitioned as long as I did and have a lot more hair than I thought I would

22. icsonia22

icsonia22 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm 13 months into transitioning from severely heat damaged hair. The ends are so straight that they look relaxed. I've been using olaplex treatments and aphogee 2 step protein treatment to minimize breakage. The biggest game changer in managing the 2 textures has been moisturizing with luster s curl activator spray and sealing the moisture in with a liberal amount of whipped Shea butter. The Shea butter lubricates my hair to the point where the strands are able to slide past each other without friction. This prevents knotting and tangling. Now I can easily pull apart any tangles that try to form at the line of demarcation.

Now the biggest challenge that I face is finding styles that look good. Wig season is officially over because it's getting too hot outside. My braid outs don't last that long due to humidity and I don't like how buns put tension on my edges. I've been thinking about exploring roll tuck and pin styles but they only seem to look good on hair that doesn't have multiple textures.

AgeinATL and Daina like this.
  23. Daina

Daina Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    I struggled with the same styling challenges when I had heat damage. Buns worked for me, try rotating the position of your bun every 2-3 days to reduce tension. Use a leg from an old stocking to create your ponytail or puff before making the bun I found this to be less tight than using a band or scrunchy. Finally I would flat twist the front and then put a bun in the back to reduce tension on the edges as well.

AgeinATL, GettingKinky and icsonia22 like this.
  24. icsonia22

icsonia22 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Will do. Thanks for the tips.