LushLox

Just finished giving myself a trim. I blew out my hair using Revlon's One-Step Volumizer brush (round brush/blowdrier combo) and following this method:

This is truly the best video on YouTube showing how to use this thing on tighter textures. I didn't want to get my hair as straight as her's so I kept it on low -- which still felt pretty dang hot! Followed that up with Deeper Than Hair's self-trim method:

This method gives me a nice U shape in the back, which I love.

I'm now back to collarbone length after some self-installed knotless box braids left me with raggedy ends that just had to go. Oh, well. I've started wearing buns exclusively so I'd like to stretch this trim 6 months before I do another one. Hopefully I'll be at APL after that.

Be careful using that tool, like you say it is very hot even on the lowest temperature.

Agree about the Deeper than hair trim method, my hair turns out great when I follow it.

King of Sorrow

Be careful using that tool, like you say it is very hot even on the lowest temperature.

Agree about the Deeper than hair trim method, my hair turns out great when I follow it.
Not gonna lie, kinda anxious about my next wash :oops: Happy thoughts, happy thoughts...

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Just finished giving myself a trim. I blew out my hair using Revlon's One-Step Volumizer brush (round brush/blowdrier combo) and following this method:

This is truly the best video on YouTube showing how to use this thing on tighter textures. I didn't want to get my hair as straight as her's so I kept it on low -- which still felt pretty dang hot! Followed that up with Deeper Than Hair's self-trim method:

This method gives me a nice U shape in the back, which I love.

I'm now back to collarbone length after some self-installed knotless box braids left me with raggedy ends that just had to go. Oh, well. I've started wearing buns exclusively so I'd like to stretch this trim 6 months before I do another one. Hopefully I'll be at APL after that.
Great trim video! I was just in here searching for my last trim. It was September. I can wait another month. That gives me another month to grow:)

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I’m planning to get my next trim on 3/16. That’s during Spring Break. My stylist has 2 small kids and usually doesn’t work when school is out for them. Hopefully she’ll be able to do it. It has been 5 months since my last trim. My ends look good, but there’s nothing like a fresh trim.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I desperately need a trim this Saturday. It isn’t even a beneficial trim day, but idc. These ends gotta go.

snoop

I'm joining you guys. I want to start trimming based on the lunar calendar. I did a micro trim just now. (Waxing moon, house in Cancer).

snoop

Checking in. I dusted my ends very minimally on Friday.

I eagerly set myself up with a calendar that followed the lunar calendar, but I forgot to write out the key in detail. :confused: Thankfully, I added primary dates and times that I wanted to follow, but was unfortunately off by an hour when I dusted on Friday.

Lunar2023.png

snoop

I "goofed" and trimmed my hair today (for the full moon) as opposed to yesterday (moon in Scorpio, right before the full moon).

I trimmed coil by coil under running water in the shower. I really do like this method over trimming in twists because I can get rid of more of the scraggles and give each mini section a blunt cut.

sweetiep

I trimmed yesterday, well cut actually. My ends were horrible. I’ve been wanting to cut for a little while and was on a roll once I started. I’m happy about it though. Not sure how much. Maybe you can tell from the pictures.

Last edited:

snoop

I've been dusting my hair (loose) under the shower all year. I'm pretty sure I've trimmed in twists this way to from time to time. I like it because it stretches my 4c coils. My shrinkage is pretty extreme and so this helps me to evaluate my ends before cutting.

Since I never wear my hair loose or straight, I'm not worried about it being in any particular shape. I'm not sure how it would work if you were trying to achieve a particular hemline.

Fine 4s

Well ladies, I went for a trim last weekend (my last one was in February) and I just want to give up on achieving healthy WL hair.
here is a picture of the back and sides. The back I have no issue with just needed more of a trim but the sides?!!!! They have always been a problem for me. I'm not sure what I did wrong, my hair stays in protective styles (plaits) since I don't go out much so not sure if it's hormones or just overall body changes. This was the first time I used the white cape to really see damage and well, it definitely SHOWED me lol
I also think my stylist doesn't trim enough so I'm looking for a new person in Boston who focuses on healthy hair care habits.
(still trying to upload pics).

Last edited:

Fine 4s

IMG_1458.jpegIMG_1460.jpegIMG_1459.jpeg

How would you approach cutting out all the see through hair? Trim little by little frequent trims, one good and how short? How to address the sides?
This makes me wanna cry.....especially when I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
It's been almost 20 years!!!! I guess I have no choice but to go back to weekly individual twists.

Last edited:

Lylddlebit

View attachment 492457View attachment 492459View attachment 492461

How would you approach cutting out all the see through hair? Trim little by little frequent trims, one good and how short? How to address the sides?
This makes me wanna cry.....especially when I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
It's been almost 20 years!!!! I guess I have no choice but to go back to weekly individual twists.
Sorry about your setback @Fine 4s. If you are keeping your hair in protective styles, you will need to examine how much hair you lose when you take it down and detangle it or handle it. For your length and thickness if you lose more than the ball of a standard-sized tootsie pop(on any given wash day..even with a few weeks apart and it is very reasonable to only lose the size of a rolo caramel/chocolate candy) then you are experiencing breakage and will want to begin tailoring your detangle regimen to become more gentle. It is important to identify what is thinning your hair to retain length.

How I trim a setback off depends on how I want to wear my hair during the setback. I have trimmed off all the damage in a drastic cut before. I have trimmed it off gradually. Either cutting off all the damage in one sitting or gradually cutting off your damage works efficiently. The caveat is that you have to take care of your hair in ways that prevent breakage and keep it moisturized and detangled efficiently to keep your gains. You can style your hair in cute ways while you are overcoming your setback. You can cut off all the thin parts or gradually cut off the thin parts. Believe it or not, the cutting part is the easy part. The part you have to focus on and apply more effort towards is identifying why you are getting that thinness because you have to fix that to see gains. Start with evaluating how much hair you lose every time you handle it, continue with how soft and moisturized your hair feels when you wash and moisturize it, and how long your hair stays supple before you need to moisturize it again. You can also revisit what you were doing to your hair the times it was thicker longer and closer to the goal than what you are experiencing currently then reactivate that regimen followed by building upon it once you pass that baseline. You have posted drool-worthy photos of your hair. You can get it back and then some.

Last edited:

Fine 4s

I've suffered from breakage all along the journey but until I can compare what breakage really looks like it's fairly normal for me.
I've heard friends say they get a few strands but that has NEVER been the case for me.
I don't know what a tootsie pop looks like but I do know what a rolo chocolate candy looks like and if I ball up the hair (as it roll it up in my fingers until all the hair is compact) the total hair loss can be bigger than that per week. I tend to wash and DC weekly. I might have to invest in finding someone to twist me up weekly as I did back in in my 30s.

Lylddlebit

I like this lady's channel. She reminds me of my mom when my mom was younger.
Anyhoo, around 2:40 of this video she posts her shed hair

The video she posts is what I would consider a healthy amount of lost hair across 4 days at the end of a week. It is normal for SL to APL hair to shed volume that is smaller than a small piece of candy by the end of a week or the head of a lollipop at the end of 3-4 weeks. Reducing it to that volume will be the result of keeping your hair moisturized throughout the week and detangling gently on wash/style days. You can make getting less breakage the standard for you with intention. That does not happen overnight but the next time you are detangling your hair, stop when you hit a tangle or snarl and gently pull that tangle apart or finger detangle it before you resume with your tool. That will help. Twisting can hold and reduce manipulation, but if you can incorporate gentle handing that will have a bigger impact. Good luck!

Attachments

• Shelly V's Shedding.jpg
    Shelly V's Shedding.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Fine 4s

@Fine 4s may I ask what type of detangling tools you use if you use them?
I use either the felicia leather brush or the Tangle Teazer handle they look like this - 2 links below
But this is a good question because I decided to go back to my bone comb or get a detangling wide tooth shower comp.

I'm not sure i should be using brushes on my strands although they make detangling easier. @ItsMeLilLucky
Before the weekend is over I'm going to post pics of the hair I lost after washing today since my 'trim' on 10/28.