Fhrizzball

I just trimmed last night and my ends feel faboulous. Last time I trimmed was about 6 months ago so I was way overdue. I did it on stretched combed out hair. I think I prefer doing it like that as opposed to in twists. I ended up taking 1-2 inches. I'm bad at dusting as I tend to overdue it which is why I try not to trim/cut too often. I'm going to lay off of the wash and goes and direct heat for the rest of the year and use heavier oils for my ends now.

davisbr88

Just went through and cut out some ugly-looking weathered ends randomly. Didn't know it was a thickening day, so that's a nice bonus. :)

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I planned a blowout and trim for tomorrow, but it is going to be raining all week :( I'm still gonna go for it.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I got my blowout at a new Dominican salon. Then I trimmed 1/2 inch to an inch in some places to clean up my layers. Today is a thickening day :)

I am in LOVE with my hair right now.

davisbr88

I am going to straighten and trim for the full moon this month. I am trying to restore my hair to health so I think I will take off whatever I need to cut to just maintain WL until the health of my hair really improves.

shelli4018

I trimmed an inch all over 2 weeks ago. So glad I did it! My curls are behaving so much better. I've seen a significant decrease in the amount of broken ends lying on the bathroom floor after I style my hair. I just need to settle on a couple of protective styles to maintain my newly healthy ends. I have a couple of wigs (like the one in my avatar) but I can only wear them for a week before throwing them back in the closet.

davisbr88

Straightened and trimmed last night for root work day. I reached WhL but that only lasted about 5 minutes. I cut off about 1.25" to get rid of crappy ends and did a thorough S&D through all of my layers. All in all, my hair is in better condition than I thought. Shedding is still crazy, but it didn't look as bad as it's been feeling lately.
I cut back to about where I was when I last straightened in August. I was planning to maintain at this length for a while but I think I will just continue to grow now that I see my hair isn't a super hot *** mess. I am less than 0.5" from WhL now and 1.5-2" from HL. I hope I can claim HL by my birthday in January!

alex114

My last trim was 2 days ago-- I was surprised to learn that I was BSL lol, but I had to take off about 2-3 inches since my ends were pretty raggedy (I haven't had a full trim since I first went natural 2 years ago-- I was just doing search and destroy since I couldn't find a stylist I trusted). So now I think I'm below shoulder length, which I'm pretty happy with.

Attachments

• IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 33

alex114

Thank you! @Prettymetty nope I don't trust myself with scissors like that lol-- I had the stylist who flat ironed my hair do it-- and yeah it's been like 2 years since my last trim so I figured I should get a nice blunt shape while I'm straight.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Just took off a 1/2 inch today, fairly blunt past collarbone.

I hate these awful whispy layers in the front of my hair-I want perfectly even hair!! I can't wait for them to grow out but I suspect I abuse the front of my hair a lot more/it probably grows slower too.

ms.blue

I dusted my ends on Sunday. I didn't plan to do it but when I was blowdrying my hair, the ends were snagging especially on my left side. My hair did feel much better afterwards.

so1913

Last trim was this past Friday 10/30. This year I wanted to stay on the trim every 3 months schedule consistently to see how it worked out. This was my 4th trim this year. I've been able to maintain the schedule because I set my next 3 month appointment up at the salon each time I went.

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Last trim was this past Friday 10/30. This year I wanted to stay on the trim every 3 months schedule consistently to see how it worked out. This was my 4th trim this year. I've been able to maintain the schedule because I set my next 3 month appointment up at the salon each time I went.
How is your retention on this schedule? I plan on trimming every 3 months next year.

so1913

How is your retention on this schedule? I plan on trimming every 3 months next year.

So one thing I haven't been doing is "tracking" length. I decided to just let it "be" so that I didn't become overly occupied/obssesed with the idea and for it to deter me from sticking to the schedule. My stylist and I do confirm that we are doing a "maintenance" trim and the goal is to retain length.

I just went back and checked my Komaza Care analysis I did back in April where it said the length of my hair was 12 inches. I just checked the longest layer of my hair and it's still 12 inches from what I can see. So it looks like for me, by trimming every 3 months, I'm really not retaining length :(. On the flip side, my is very healthy, full, and I experience much less splits and singled strand knots that I've had in the past going longer between trims. The layers are constantly being re-shaped, so styling has been consistant and a breeze throughout the year.

I would definitely love to retain more length, so now I have to decide for 2016 how to do so while maintaining the health of my hair that I've been able to do by frequent trimming. It may be trying out a new stylist who would trim less off (maybe trying Devachan again who I feel are good with not taking off too much) or trying to spread out my trims to every 4 months instead of 3.

ETA: I actually checked another strand of hair and got 13.5 inches in length.

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
@so1913 I have done seasonal trims this year too. I am due for my last one in December. My hair is definitely healthier and my ends look amazing. My layers are slowly growing out... Next year I can focus more on growth

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I dusted DD's ends today. Her hair was getting too tangly on the ends so I snipped 1/4 inch. I did a pull test and she is mbl.

davisbr88

I'm so ready for when I can be in this thread and just be trimming to maintain LOL. This journey has been fun albeit stressful at times, but I just wanna get there dangdabit!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Ladies please help me decide when to trim. December lengthening dates are 16-18 Wed- Fri and I'm off these days. However, the best days to trim for Winter are the 21-22 Monday, Tuesday and I work both of those days. The Winter Solstice 21-22 is a root work day meaning it will boost scalp health and improve overall growth cycle.

Fine 4s

I don't remember my last professional trim and it's about that time. With all the bad experiences I've had with scissor happy stylist, I want to trim myself. Since I don't wear my hair straight, how straight or shapely the hair is doesn't matter much.

DUH the date is in my siggy. I need to buy the crea clip.

Last edited: