Truly two different types of textures 3b/3c/4a

mahogany_horizons

Hey Ladies...

So I am about 10 weeks post now. And I've been doing this hair thing for about two years now, so I'm pretty sure what I am writing is accurate, as I've gotten to know my hair in every conceivable way over the past two years. I have come to the conclusion that I have two completely and I do mean COMPLETELY different types of textures on my head. When I first started this thing, and I actually looked at my new growth, I thought I was a 3c with Patches of 4a in the front. NOWWWW I think I am a 3c/4a Mix in the front, BUT A 3B in the back!

I keep thinking back to the way my mother used to relax me before I would stretch so long. She would feel the crown of my hair and be like, "you need a spotter", and she would relax my crown, and my edges around the front 4A FOR SURE! And she would not relax the back at all, maybe she'd come back and do it in 4 or 5 weeks or so. Even now, the relaxer only sits on the back of my hair for a couple of minutes, but I'd better keep it forever on the front if I want it to be straightened!

OK, I know that this is getting long winded, but I am 10 weeks post. My hair in the back is growing, I can feel the texture is different, but it's soft, and fine, and the curls are really loose, almost like waves, easy to comb through, no product applied, detangling that half of my head takes 2 minutes. Am I wrong for wishing all of my hair was like this??!!

The top of my hair is drier, much more tightly curled, and is soooo much harder to detangle. It takes 40 minutes! If I'm too heavy handed with the back of my hair, it will be soggy, but I need to almost drench the top in product and use a spray bottle to get through it without breakage. The front edges meanwhile, 4a gets dry, hard, kind of tangly, and I have to be very careful with how I comb through that area so as not to cause breakage.

Now that Im on my HHJ, my crown and the front are thriving with TLC in ways I never throught possible. I always suffered some breakage in the crown and front, but now my crown and front are defintely catching up (and now I understand why)

Those of you with a myriad of textures in your hair like mine, how do you deal with the different textures? What do you do differently as you handle each section of your hair. And this really may sound nuts but are there products that you use on one section of your hair because that's what it needs, but products that you don't use on other sections of your hair, because the other sections do not respond well? And then I wonder, how would I ever deal with all these hair textures if I decide to go natural one day? How do naturals deal with a myriad of different textures, or those on LONG TERM stretches?

HELP!

babyb900

I have to keep an eye on this thread.

I've always been told I was 3C

I'm seriously thinking that my hair is 3b(crown)/3c(middle)/4a(nape)

plastic

Nothing wrong or odd about having many different textures of hair on your head. The majority of my hair is 4z, then i have scattered sections of 4b .. and my hairline from the temples up are 3b/c. I look like a damn fool when I'm natural (that is not to offend anyone but myself)

My 3b/c sections require no additional products ... anything light work on it
My 4b sections require some liquid moisture - glycerin and water
My 4z sections which literally and i mean literally feel like a brillo pad when dry needs liquid moisture and then creamy moisture on top of that - so then i would add Hollywood beauty Castor Oil

My 4b/z textures DETEST oil as a leave in .. oh my word ... i have never seen my hair respond so negatively to natural products so much .. It feels like crap and looks like bush.

Nothing is wrong with wanting the 3b texture all over, im sure some women would come in here beating you down and telling you to love all of your hair as it is. But to be honest I wish this 4z hair would just soften up ... im praying it is scab hair because it responds to nothing I put in it now .. not even gel. I dont remember it being this ridiculous before. Rant over

LynnieB

Hey Ladies...

OK, I know that this is getting long winded, but I am 10 weeks post. My hair in the back is growing, I can feel the texture is different, but it's soft, and fine, and the curls are really loose, almost like waves, easy to comb through, no product applied, detangling that half of my head takes 2 minutes. Am I wrong for wishing all of my hair was like this??!!

No. Dare I say that many naturals don't so much as wish for a different or "better" texture but a more uniform texture. It is not unusual for women to have several different textures on their heads. I have different textures and strand sizes.

The top of my hair is drier, much more tightly curled, and is soooo much harder to detangle. It takes 40 minutes! If I'm too heavy handed with the back of my hair, it will be soggy, but I need to almost drench the top in product and use a spray bottle to get through it without breakage. The front edges meanwhile, 4a gets dry, hard, kind of tangly, and I have to be very careful with how I comb through that area so as not to cause breakage.

That's why (especially if you have thick, THICK hair) it's best to do everything in sections. How many will be up to you and your hair but I find that 6 sections works great for me.

The back of my head has the most kink and coily hair and is the most prone to tangle up so I find working in sections to be extremely helpful.

Those of you with a myriad of textures in your hair like mine, how do you deal with the different textures? Everything in sections.

What do you do differently as you handle each section of your hair. In sections, you can comb/brush/poo/condition/handle your hair the way it needs to be handled.

And this really may sound nuts but are there products that you use on one section of your hair because that's what it needs, but products that you don't use on other sections of your hair, because the other sections do not respond well? I try to find products that work for all the textures. There are such products out there, you just have to try to find the different ones that will work well for you.

And then I wonder, how would I ever deal with all these hair textures if I decide to go natural one day? Again, you work with your hair in sections-only and instead of forcing your kinkier parts to behave like your curly parts, you do braid/twist outs or some other style that will make all the textures play nice together.

How do naturals deal with a myriad of different textures, or those on LONG TERM stretches?

After discovering that I don't have 3b or 3c or 4a uniform hair, I use braid and twist outs to make all the textures look the same. That way it does not even matter what section has looser "curls" and which section has kinks.

HELP!

It's all a learning process. Sometimes it takes awhile to figure out how it all comes together but with some patience and a positive outlook, it will.

Your hair will thrive and you will be happy!

Last edited:

mahogany_horizons

plastic...you have made me feel so much better about my own situation! I too find that I have to use products in different amounts on different portions of my hair. I also fight harder to achieve moisture balance in my crown.

Lynnie!! Thank you so much for your post. I have emailed your recommendations to myself. I will try to wash in sections, and condition in sections. I never thought of that. I already do detangle my hair in sections, etc.

I may also want to search for some new products, something that works well with all textures.

I do have to focus on not treating all my hair the same. And it gets harder and harder the more new growth I have, and the differences get really apparent. Thank you much!

Morenita

You're not alone. I'm mostly 3c, possibly 3b in the back. The crown is in a world of it's own though. It's like a frizzy, lack of curl pattern 4a if that makes any sense. It's more coarse, and wavy. I guess you could type it as 2b/3a, but HIGHLY TEXTURED... :huh: My hairline is regular 4a I believe. It's also more wiry. My hair is just confused!

jupitermoon

Plastic and LynnieB have given good suggestions.

Nothing wrong with wishing for a more uniform texture, but if you don't have it, lol...

I use the same products on all of my hair (Aussie Moist conditioner and EVOO) but I put more on the tightly curled parts and less on the looser parts. I also comb my hair in sections. I have three obviously different textures on my head and it's hard to blend. I pretty much just let them show, and don't try to blend them.

When it comes to products and application, it's all about playing it by ear and finding what works best for you.