Trusting myself...

kennypoo315

I have been searching the Bible for an answer, but all I find are verses that speak of trusting God. My problem is not that I do not trust God, I do not trust myself to know what it is God wants me to do. I trust God's plan and God's will but I do not trust myself to know his will and plan. I have made a lot of mistakes, how am I to know if what I believe to be me following God is not just my will and wants and more mistakes? How do you get to the point that you trust yourself enough to be certain you are following His plan? Am I making any sense?

HeChangedMyName

I know where you are coming from. The only thing that will work to help you to trust yourself is to begin to look at yourself and see yourself the same way God sees you. He doesn't see all the bad stuff about you because you have been washed by the blood. All he sees in you is that you believe in him and his Son. I'm sure you have come accross this scripture from Proverbs 3:5 which says, "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding."

I use to be bad about not trusting myself to know what God wanted me to do. I even still go through it sometimes. What gets me through is to just talk to God and listen and allow myself to just allow the Spirit to minister to my spirit.

kennypoo315

Thank you for that answer to my question. Your advice about seeing myself as God sees me helped and it also helped a bit just to know that someone else has been here too. It's easy to think you are the only one who is or has ever been uncertain about what to do or if what they hear is really God. Thanks again.

Caramela

The only way to know God's will is to read the bible. Any situation you have to make a decision on you need to compare it to God's word to see if it is in line with God's will. Don't go based off of your feelings. The bible tells us that we cannot trust our feelings Jeramiah 17:9 & Prov 3:5.

fivefoursweetie

I have been searching the Bible for an answer, but all I find are verses that speak of trusting God. My problem is not that I do not trust God, I do not trust myself to know what it is God wants me to do. I trust God's plan and God's will but I do not trust myself to know his will and plan. I have made a lot of mistakes, how am I to know if what I believe to be me following God is not just my will and wants and more mistakes? How do you get to the point that you trust yourself enough to be certain you are following His plan? Am I making any sense?

God knows each of us individually and knows how we need to communicate with Him so that there can be a relationship established. It's similar to being in a relationship with a person, you know how to communicate with that person to have the most effective relationship. So I will use myself as an example...I used to 2nd guess myself with knowing when God was really speaking to me, so what I started doing is asking God to do specific things so that I knew undeniably that it was Him. I started this years ago when I started first having a personal relationship with God, and I still do it to this day. I know that God is sometimes in Heaven like :spinning:, but He knows that I am very careful and always want to nkow positively that it was Him that spoke. So as a recent example...I just moved out to the ATL area about a week ago, and I am in the process of looking for a church home. I went and visited a church on Wed. for Bible Study and enjoyed it, then went to a few other events suring the rest of the week there (all led by God's prompting me to attend). Well, Saturday night, I pray and let God know that I wanted to go to church but I wanted to go where HE wanted me to go. I told Him that if He wanted me to go to that church on Sunday, He would need to wake me up in time for the 8:30 AM service, because I wasn't going to set my alarm clock, because I wanted to go where he led me. Now, I ended up going to sleep around 1:00 AM, so typically I would have woke up around 9:00 AM on my own. Don't you know that God woke me up at 7:30 AM, just in time for me to get ready to go to church! I went and the minister preached directly to me!! That was confirmation that I did indeed follow what God wanted me to do.
I hope that helps a little....