Truth About Tithing

georgeinfo

Don't read this thread unless you really want to know what the Bible teaches about tithing. 'Tithing' is an attempt to obey just one of the 600+ laws God gave to the Old Testament Israelites. Although many teach 'tithing' as if tithing itself is a timeless principle - it is not. The timeless principle was the REASON the Lord required tithing. There were two reasons for tithing: 1) to support the full time Levitical priesthood by providing food (not money) and 2) to support the poor, the fatherless, and the widows (also with food). The Levitical priesthood has been done away with and no, pastors are not the new Levites. The principle that we still should be following is to take care of the poor, fatherless, and the widows. The support for disciples spoken of in the New Testament was never permanent full time support but rather on occasion.

'Giving' and 'tithing' are not the same.

I can prove everything I am saying by Bible scripture. The average Christian has never been taught nor exposed to what the Bible really teaches about tithing and a lot of other issues.

Tithing and firstfruits are not the same concept.

None of the 'tithing' that occurs now has any connection to the definition of tithing contained in the Bible. (other than to mention 10%)

In a nutshell, the were four tithes.
1)The Levitical tithe required those who raised crops (not everyone and not all professions - just those who raised crops) to give 10% of that to the Levites. This tithe only occurred 6 years out of the 7 year cycle. It also required those that raised 10 or more animals to give each tenth animal that passed under the rod to the Levites. If a person raised less than 10 animals, they were NOT required to tithe. It also means that the person with 10 animals and the person with 19 animals both gave the same amount - 1 animal. The person with 10 animals gave an exact 10% while the person with 19 gave approximately 5% and both were legal. It is important to note here that God required the gift at the end of the line of 10 - not the first.
2) From what was given to them, the Levites in turn had to give the very best to the priests.
3) The festival tithe required that those who raised crops or animals to set aside 10% for the annual festivals. It was for the people to have a party and consume the food joyfully and alcoholic beverages (strong drink) if they wanted.
4) The Poor tithe occurred only in the 3rd and 6th years of the seven year cycle. This was set aside FOR the poor. 

All tithes were always food and NEVER money.

Abram's tithe is clearly is NOT the precedent setting example that we have been told. For starters, Abram did not give his own money and he kept NONE of the money and valuables for himself.

We should be generous but the poor widow is NOT our example. She was being plundered by church leaders. 
(Video Lesson - The Truth About the Widow's Gift available for FREE viewing at www.inyourbible.com)

There is no single formula for Christians to be able to judge for themselves whether they are generous or not. Each person needs to hear from God for themselves.

A written presentation with Frequently Asked Questions and links to over two dozen books and over 36 other web sites is available at www.nomoretithing.org.

If you have a high speed internet connection you can visit www.inyourbible.com to view FREE 10 part series "The Truth About Tithing".

George

BlkOnyx488

Don't read this thread unless you really want to know what the Bible teaches about tithing. 'Tithing' is an attempt to obey just one of the 600+ laws God gave to the Old Testament Israelites. Although many teach 'tithing' as if tithing itself is a timeless principle - it is not. The timeless principle was the REASON the Lord required tithing. There were two reasons for tithing: 1) to support the full time Levitical priesthood by providing food (not money) and 2) to support the poor, the fatherless, and the widows (also with food). The Levitical priesthood has been done away with and no, pastors are not the new Levites. The principle that we still should be following is to take care of the poor, fatherless, and the widows. The support for disciples spoken of in the New Testament was never permanent full time support but rather on occasion.

I can prove everything I am saying by Bible scripture. The average Christian has never been taught nor exposed to what the Bible really teaches about tithing and a lot of other issues.

None of the 'tithing' that occurs now has any connection to the definition of tithing contained in the Bible. (other than to mention 10%)

1)The Levitical tithe required those who raised crops (not everyone and not all professions - just those who raised crops) to give 10% of that to the Levites. This tithe only occurred 6 years out of the 7 year cycle. It also required those that raised 10 or more animals to give each tenth animal that passed under the rod to the Levites. If a person raised less than 10 animals, they were NOT required to tithe. It also means that the person with 10 animals and the person with 19 animals both gave the same amount - 1 animal. The person with 10 animals gave an exact 10% while the person with 19 gave approximately 5% and both were legal. It is important to note here that God required the gift at the end of the line of 10 - not the first.
2) From what was given to them, the Levites in turn had to give the very best to the priests.
3) The festival tithe required that those who raised crops or animals to set aside 10% for the annual festivals. It was for the people to have a party and consume the food joyfully and alcoholic beverages (strong drink) if they wanted.
4) The Poor tithe occurred only in the 3rd and 6th years of the seven year cycle. This was set aside FOR the poor. 

Abram's tithe is clearly is NOT the precedent setting example that we have been told. For starters, Abram did not give his own money and he kept NONE of the money and valuables for himself.

We should be generous but the poor widow is NOT our example. She was being plundered by church leaders. 
(Video Lesson - The Truth About the Widow's Gift available for FREE viewing at www.inyourbible.com)

There is no single formula for Christians to be able to judge for themselves whether they are generous or not. Each person needs to hear from God for themselves.

A written presentation with Frequently Asked Questions and links to over two dozen books and over 36 other web sites is available at www.nomoretithing.org.

If you have a high speed internet connection you can visit www.inyourbible.com to view FREE 10 part series "The Truth About Tithing".

George

Hmmm this sounds intriguing I will have to check this out.
thanks

Mahalialee4

George

It's encouraging to see that some actually study to "prove what is good and acceptable" and what is or is not "mandatory".

Mahalialee4

George

It's encouraging to see that some actually study to "prove what is good and acceptable" and what is or is not "mandatory". We should individually do this and "not make the Word of God invalid because of our tradition", as Jesus told the Pharisees.

ivyQuietstorm

George, can you provide scriptures that support your comments as stated in the OP. I'm not disagreeing, but I would just like to read it for myself in the KJV.

Thanks,
Ivy

georgeinfo

Ivy,
On my web site, www.nomoretithing.org, I provide 3 different scriptures for each quote. They are the New King James, the NIV, and the KJV. In any case, they are not new scriptures. They are basically the same scriptures you've always heard but I provide a background or overview that will allow you to come to a different conclusion.

On www.inyourbible.com, I explain more scriptures than the average believer wants to hear in what I believe to be the proper context. I encourage everyone to at least listen to the introduction. Just providing scripture quotes is not the answer. It is the real meaning behind the scriptures that is important.
George

ivyQuietstorm

Ivy,
On my web site, www.nomoretithing.org, I provide 3 different scriptures for each quote. They are the New King James, the NIV, and the KJV. In any case, they are not new scriptures. They are basically the same scriptures you've always heard but I provide a background or overview that will allow you to come to a different conclusion.

On www.inyourbible.com, I explain more scriptures than the average believer wants to hear in what I believe to be the proper context. I encourage everyone to at least listen to the introduction. Just providing scripture quotes is not the answer. It is the real meaning behind the scriptures that is important.
George

Understood. Thanks for again refering me to your website. I'll take a look at it when I get home. I agree that reading the scriptures is not always what is required. Often we have to look to what the Holy Spirit is saying to us about that scripture and it's context. I don't at all believe the way we are taught about tithing is necessarily the way God intended it to be. What really struck a cord with me early is the fact that Jesus' came and saved us from everything except tithing and offering. That's kind of the only area that churches stick to by the letter of the law. Not saying that we shouldn't give to the house of the Lord, but I think there is so much more to living a Godly and Holy Life than just $$. I know a few women who believe they are going to heaven because the tithe! That's crazy.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Angels, please be careful with this information. PLEASE! Be extremely prayerful and don't be lead astray as sheep without a guiding Shepard....the Holy Spirit....

Please be careful! :giveheart:

cclark1

Angels, please be careful with this information. PLEASE! Be extremely prayerful and don't be lead astray as sheep without a guiding Shepard....the Holy Spirit....

Please be careful! :giveheart:

I couldn't agree more. Tithing has changed my life and brought financial blessings at every turn. God says to try him and see!

Shimmie

Staff member
I couldn't agree more. Tithing has changed my life and brought financial blessings at every turn. God says to try him and see!

You, angel, me and so many, many others. I KNOW first hand; for over 25 years of my saved life, I've given...and I'm honored to be able to do so. God is first...period!

The irony of this thread is that the OP will accept monies. I didn't say 'tithe', but monies from donaters. Although it states that he will not ask, yet it had not been eliminated as as option, for there is a 'request' for support.

My point, ministry, all ministry needs our financial support.

Southernbella.

Tithing was never about financial blessings. This is but one way we as believers have been deceived. God blesses us because He is God. PERIOD. I'm blessed and highly favored, and that hasn't changed from when I tithed OR now that I practice giving.

cclark1

Tithing was never about financial blessings. This is but one way we as believers have been deceived. God blesses us because He is God. PERIOD. I'm blessed and highly favored, and that hasn't changed from when I tithed OR now that I practice giving.

Tithing is about being obedient. Blessings follow obedience. I'm blessed and highly favored. I pay my tithes and above my tithes. That's what I feel the Holy Spirit leads me to do. So I do it. Financial blessings follow me and they never did before I became a tither. But if you don't feel led to tithe don't.

Southernbella.

Tithing is about being obedient. Blessings follow obedience. I'm blessed and highly favored. I pay my tithes and above my tithes. That's what I feel the Holy Spirit leads me to do. So I do it. Financial blessings follow me and they never did before I became a tither. But if you don't feel led to tithe don't.

There's no need to be snippy. It's not that deep. I'm glad for you that you give. That's what we are supposed to do...that which is purposed in our hearts.:yep:

chellero

Wife Supremacist

I am still trying to decide if I am required to tithe or not, but I agree with what you are saying here. God has blessed me way beyond what I deserve. You can't earn God's blessing just like you can't earn salvation through good deeds. God blesses us because he wants to.

Blessed2bless

:yep: A Covenant between him and God.

Hey :grouphug:'s
The covenant between God and Abram (was to walk before God blameless) and about making him(Arbraham) the father of many nations..and for God to be his God and the God of his decendents.(therefore, changing his name to Abraham) and the covenant between Abraham and God was to circumcise every male as a sign of this covenant. The tithe was not apart of this covenant.

Last edited:

georgeinfo

Shimmie,
You have a problem with me even though I don't charge for my video teachings! Have you forgotten that there are plenty of 'big time' preachers that wouldn't do what I do?

An updated estimate of the support for my ministry would be about 99% coming from my own pocket and I do it willingly. But because I am listening to you, and I want to remove any stumbling blocks to reaching people, I have changed my video website and removed any mention of the word 'donation'. I don't need money from viewers to maintain the ministry. Instead, I will continue to trust God to bless me with whatever is needed.

George

Shimmie

Staff member
Shimmie,
You have a problem with me even though I don't charge for my video teachings! Have you forgotten that there are plenty of 'big time' preachers that wouldn't do what I do?

An updated estimate of the support for my ministry would be about 99% coming from my own pocket and I do it willingly. But because I am listening to you, and I want to remove any stumbling blocks to reaching people, I have changed my video website and removed any mention of the word 'donation'. I don't need money from viewers to maintain the ministry. Instead, I will continue to trust God to bless me with whatever is needed.

George
:nono: No, not with you. With your 'sudden' appearance here, yes. With the promotion of your website, yes. With your intent to 'dis-credit' those of us who tithe, yes.

The red flags are up and there's just something in my spirit that presents 'Caution' to what's going on here. "Caution".

Something's not right. Not that you have different views about tithing, that's not the reason. I live with and around persons who don't tithe, will never tithe, and don't care to hear anything more about it. And I have no 'red flags' regarding their choice. It's their rightful choice and I respect them and it. So, it's not a personal thing about you, neither your views on tithing.

There will always be those who tithe and those who don't. That's life.

It's just that there is a big red flag that says, 'Caution' regarding your presence here and your website. And as I'm sitting here writing this, I sense that there is something about you that seems out of place.

Don't change your 'donation' option, to prove a point. It doesn't make the difference, nor places your integrity above ministers who do receive donations. For there are 'fundless' ministries who are out to ravage the souls of men as opposed to their funds; as there are ministries who depend on funds who are out to protect the souls instead. satan has tainted the scales on both sides.

I believe that you are 99% self-supporting as are thousands of us in ministry, who never ask for a dime, for we have a 'passion' in the work we do. And it's the passion that funds the mission.

You see when one has a passion for something, be it good or bad, they will fund it to keep it alive, no matter what the cost. Be it a hobby, a habit, an addiction, a mission, maddness, be it for love, or even hate, or for the better, a ministry called of God. Whatever ones passion calls for to survive, one will provide for it at any cost. And in true ministry, many do. I know them, personally.

Do what you do, George. If it's of God, it will prove itsself. If not, it will be reproved. I just can't get past this 'red flag', that's all; an alert in my spirit to be cautious and prayerful. Nevertheless, I wish you well. :yep:

Take care...

Last edited: