Twist, Braid, Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/13 - 3/31/13)

BraunSugar

REMEMBER: No hiding your hair! No wigs, no weaves, no extensions, etc.

This challenge is for twist, braids, and buns on your own hair. Using these low manipulation and protective styles, we aim to retain the growth we achieve over a three month period.

Twists: 2 strand twists, flat twists, 2 strand flat twists, 3 strand twists, coils, bantu knots

Braids: Box braids & mini braids on your hair, plaits, cornrows, french braids, etc.

Buns: Any kind of bun or updo. We want our ends to be protected and tucked away! :)

RULES:

1. All styles must be done with your hair exclusively. :yep:
2. Your hair must be in twist, braids or bunned for at least 5 consecutive days.
3. You can wear your hair out for up to 3 days after taking your twists out (like in twist-outs, afros, wash and go, etc). [If you need to amend your restyling time, let us know in your initial post! A 3-day turnaround may not be feasible for your schedule and lifestyle.]
4. Check in when you restyle your hair, or at least every 2 weeks since the challenge is short.
5. When you restyle give us an update. (regimen, style, moisturizing secrets, etc.)
6. Post a picture of your hair at the beginning of the challenge and at the end.
7. The challenge will be from January 1, 2013 – March 31, 2013.
8. You will have 1 pass during the challenge to cover you for a week.
9. Heat is allowed in this challenge. Be sure to use a heat protectant and the lowest setting possible for your hair. Remember to be careful! We do not want to damage our hair for the styling purposes of this challenge.

REMEMBER: No hiding your hair! No wigs, no weaves, no extensions, etc.

Feel free to join at any time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Start by Sharing:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

We look forward to cooperative learning. Post your questions, frustrations, and trials. Share any tips that you may have to make this challenge more effective for all of us! We look forward to hearing your tips, suggestions, and questions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy Hair Growing Ladies!

(Please like this post if you wish to join the challenge!!! I will add you name to the list of challengers!!!)

Challengers (Part I):

4mia
ajoke
An_gell
antisocial
Atdow71
bajandoc
bebezazueta
BeautifullyExotic
BGT
BraunSugar
Cherry89
DDTexlaxed
dicapr
Diva_Esq
EnExitStageLeft
faithVA
Fhrizzball
Fine 4s
froreal3
g.lo
gennatay
Growingmyhairlong
Ijanei
jesusislove1526
Kimeshajohnson
ladysaraii
lamaria211
lana
larry3344
LilMissRed
lyricallysound
NappyNelle
NefertariBlu
NikkiQ
Pinky65
pookaloo83
RegaLady
rsmith
Serenity Peace
Shay72
shortdub78
song_of_serenity
Sunshinelove32
TheEspressoHair
Tibbar
TopShelf
trinity8mod8
TrueSugar
TruMe
yaya24
youwillrise
Victoria44
virtuenow

Last edited:

g.lo

I am in, will update my reg in January! I am waiting for my new hair dryer to come and I will slightly blow dry to check my length!!

youwillrise

in it to win it!

i actually finally finished taking my 4 and half week old mini twists out a little while ago ((phew)). gonna wash soon, get my dc on and tomorrow i will start on a new set of mini twists.

best to all! here's to a great year for everyone! :)

Start by Sharing:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? - mini twists
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? - gonna change things up a bit. will wear twists for 4 or 5 weeks at a time. will wash & dc every other week. gonna try a dry shampoo & maybe witch hazel for my scalp for the inbetween weeks? moisturize ends daily.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? - natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? - length retention.
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? - no out styles for me.

picture taken today (december 29, 2012).

when im done putting my new twists in, i'll add a pic of that too :)

Attachments

• 122920121.jpg
    122920121.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I'm in!!!!

Need a major trim and then I'll be ready!

My signature style is Bantu knot outs! I will post pic in the morning after I take my knots down...

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? - Bantu knot outs
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? - Will wear my Bantus in various styles off the next to avoid rubbing against clothes, scarves. I will was and deranged once a week. Pre-poo and deep condition weekly with steam.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? - Natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? - Stronger, thicker, healthier hair first, then longer hair in the long run.
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? Wear my Bantus out for the first day, then wear them up in a high bun until wash day.
6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). Will add pic on 12/30.

Last edited:

SimJam

I'm not sure I'll be able to stick to the 5 consecutive days rule. im really feeling my twistouts and puffs these day, So I'll sit out this session. But I'll be lurking

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Braids

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? co wash every other day, will re- braid every 2-3 weeks, wash weekly with either betonite clay or poo, deep condition, rinse with coffee, final rinse with acv and tea tree oil and water
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Atleast full APL by March 2013
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2days max

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Twists & bunning

3 weeks in twists, 1 week twist out thrown into a bun
Daily spray twists with a tea spritz and alternate with avj spritz & braid spray, seal with oil
Week of twist out will use a lotion type moisturizer & oil
Wash & dc every 2 weeks

Natural

Growth, length retention, less tangles, less ssks

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
3 days

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic)

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Attachments

• IMG_0550 (593x640).jpg
    IMG_0550 (593x640).jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

bebezazueta

I'm trying to get over the MBL hump. So I'm glad to be with you lovely ladies in this challenge!

Bunning, primarily wet bunning as much as possible

Frequent cowashing & detangling in shower with condish under running water & wet bunning in shower. Moisturizing damp hair with ORS olive oil moisturizer or Elasta QP mango olive oil butter.

Relaxed

Retention & Healthy blunt ends

I'll only wear my hair out on Saturday & Sunday if that so 2 days

6. Include Starting Pic.

Attachments

• image-3100388830.jpg
    image-3100388830.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 72

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I'm in. I was going to put my hair up in extension braids, but decided not to since I will be using MN as a growth aide. Want to track my progress easily.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists braided/pinned up. Buns

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Shampoo every two weeks. Co-wash weekly. Spritz w/conditioner, water, oil mix every other day. Dc once a week.

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Retention. I want to be APL by Spring/Summer 2013. I'm about between my collarbones in the back. I need about 3 more inches to get to APL in the back.

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days.

Attachments

• IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Just put in some medium sized twists. I will keep them braided/bunned/pinned up for a couple weeks. Oh, and I'm really feeling this Darcy's Pumpkin seed conditioner as a leave in. Yes ma'am! Let's see how it holds up during the week.

EnExitStageLeft

IN!

My style of choice will be buns, buns and MO' BUNS!

I will wash weekly doing the same routine: Prepoo, Shampoo, Tea Rinse, DC, LI's, Air Dry and BUN!

I am texlaxed:).

Like FroReal I want rentention. In this process I also want to preserve my ends.

Ill probably bun all week *shrugs*.

LEH'GO :happydance:

Growingmyhairlong

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Bunning and updoes
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? I will take down my bun or updo nightly and moisturize and seal and repeat the next day.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Relaxed
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I hope to continue to maintain my ends and to retain length.
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? Last challenge I wore my hair out once so I think if I wore my hair out it would not last more than one to two days then back up in a bun. I want to bun most of the time so wearing my hair out will prob happen once every other week or less.

Attachments

• hair dec 2012.jpg
    hair dec 2012.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 55

dicapr

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? I will be doing a braid out bun

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? I will moisturize, seal, and rebraid nightly; wash, DC, detangle, leave in weekly; blow dry 1x month

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? natural with keratin treatment

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Finally get to APL

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days

Attachments

• 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

jesusislove1526

I'm in again! Thanks for the tag.
1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? mini braids--updos, buns
Cowash- 2x per week
DC- 1x per week
Cleansing cowash- in between styles
Mini braids will be in for 5-6 weeks at a time

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Full MBL by March
3 days
6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). The pics below are of my hair from my annual flat iron [12/29/12] and the bun I will be wearing for the next week or so while my hair is straight. My first set of mini braids for 2013 will go in next weekend and I will post pics of them after they are done.

Attachments

• 12-29-12--2nd Annual Flat Iron (2).jpg
    12-29-12--2nd Annual Flat Iron (2).jpg
    374 KB · Views: 123
  • 12-29-12--2nd Annual Flat Iron (3).jpg
    12-29-12--2nd Annual Flat Iron (3).jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 12-29-12--Flat Ironed Bun (2).jpg
    12-29-12--Flat Ironed Bun (2).jpg
    250 KB · Views: 81
  • 12-29-12--2nd Annual Flat Iron (6) (600x800).jpg
    12-29-12--2nd Annual Flat Iron (6) (600x800).jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 12-29-12--2nd Annual Flat Iron (4) (800x600).jpg
    12-29-12--2nd Annual Flat Iron (4) (800x600).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

An_gell

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Bunning

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? I usually wash 2-3 times a week because I have psoriasis and my scalp itches and scales.

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I hope for growth and retention and to be MBL or touching by the end of the challenge.

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? I won't be wearing my hair out, but if I do I will restyle back into a bun after 2 days.

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). took this pic about a month ago.

Attachments

• DSCF1118.jpg
    DSCF1118.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? -high bun

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? -satin flat-twist

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? -relaxed

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? -healthier ends

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? -not sure what you mean by restyle. If I wear my hair out its going back up for bed.

image-2369374159.jpg

image-430836962.jpg

image-582094260.jpg

Pinky65

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Bunning

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? I will moisturize and seal nightly; wash and deep condish every 10 - 14 days

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Waist length

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 days. Twists take me awhile

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).Twisted this 3 days ago.

image-1879733826.jpg

Fhrizzball

I thought I wasn't going to do it this go around but I came back to my senses.

Buns and twist out styles
Curlformers rollerset or just regular wash reggie. Still tweaking it.
Natural
Finally get past my BSL hump and get started to go into long hair territory. Also to grow out my heat damage and fill in my edges.
3 days
Once i get my bootleg curlformers in a week or so, I will update with pictures.

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
I wish I could do this challenge, but I'm going to be wigging it up half the year for 2013...good luck, I'll be watching from the sidelines!

faithVA

Finger Coils

Sunday, prepoo, wash, Dc, apply oil, leave-in/moisturizer
Install coils on Sunday
Moisturize on Wednesday
Take down between Friday night and Sunday
If I take out before Sunday, cowash and wear a twistout for the weekend.

Natural

Greater length, retention, healthier ends and convenience of a protective style

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?,
Will restyle after 2 days

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic)
123112CrownP1 (530x640).jpg

Dec3112_LengthP1 (124x640).jpg

Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=202064 said:
cnap[/USER];17588379]Hello, quick question. Does Bantu knot outs or any outs count?

The 5 consecutive days must be in a protective or low manipulation style: twists, bantu knots, buns, braids, etc. You can wear an out style during the 2 to 3 days after that. Then you have to put your hair back up.

So the short answer is no, out styles don't work for this challenge.

BraunSugar

Hello, quick question. Does Bantu knot outs or any outs count?

faithVA is right. You could wear the bantu knots for 5 days and then wear a bantu knot out for 3 days. Most of the time the hair should be in a protective style to encourage as much retention as possible.

RegaLady

I'm in!

Start by Sharing:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? twists into a bun
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Take down bun to add sulfur/MN mixture, redo some twists, and M&S then throw back into a bun
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? natural 4a/b
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I will retain 1.5 inches in this challenge
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 days
In my avi :)

Last edited: