Twist, Braid, Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/13 - 3/31/13)

Jewell

Today im in a single braid wrapped around into a bun. Just m&s'ing as needed and putting back into a single braid. Taking care of a loved one so my hair is mainly tied up these days since I spend a lot of time in the house. Its cool though...the less manipulation, the better.

youwillrise

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i JUST took the rest of those twists out from back in late december. yup. lets just say that was a travesty. detangled, washed, now deep conditioning. ((sigh)) dont ask me why i did that to myself. DO NOT ASK! haha.

BraunSugar

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i JUST took the rest of those twists out from back in late december. yup. lets just say that was a travesty. detangled, washed, now deep conditioning. ((sigh)) dont ask me why i did that to myself. DO NOT ASK! haha.

:blush::blush::blush:

I could never. I'd either be starting a loc journey or pulling out my clippers! :lachen:

LilMissRed

checking in!
still sporting a couple of flat twists along my hairline and a low bun :yup:
Planning to henna this weekend

hnntrr

Hi Guys. I am getting twists tomorrow. I have scanned the forum to getting twists and maintaining them, and got some good tips which I listed below...but . The girl who is doing them told me to 'grease my scalp' buttttttt I am not really feelin that.

I am transitioning, lo-po, coarse strands, grazing SL in the longest layers, I cowash nightly ,dc once a week and tea rinse once a week, I m also doing the CG method.. Getting marley braid put in. I am going to soak the hair in apple cider vinegar/water before putting them in my hair and doing a 30 minute moisturizing DC before having her braid it.

Is there anything else I should do prior? And how should I maintain them? Without using grease...or at least grease without sulphates or silicones in them..

Last edited:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Hi Guys. I am getting twists tomorrow. I have scanned the forum to getting twists and maintaining them, and got some good tips which I listed below...but . The girl who is doing them told me to 'grease my scalp' buttttttt I am not really feelin that.

I am transitioning, lo-po, coarse strands, grazing SL in the longest layers, I cowash nightly ,dc once a week and tea rinse once a week, I m also doing the CG method.. Getting marley braid put in. I am going to soak the hair in apple cider vinegar/water before putting them in my hair and doing a 30 minute moisturizing DC before having her braid it.

Is there anything else I should do prior? And how should I maintain them? Without using grease...or at least grease without sulphates or silicones in them..

I use jojoba oil for my scalp, because its light and closest to our natural sebum. I only use once a week.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

FoxxyLocs

I've been bunning since my last update. Will wash and DC this evening. Then another braid out bun for the week. I was planning to wait and do a length check in May, but I think I will go ahead and do one at the end of the challenge.

jesusislove1526

So, I'm thinking that these twists with braided roots that I have in might only last 3 weeks instead of 4. I think it is because when I spritz my hair with water to seal my scalp with castor oil in the larger braids, it gets fuzzy at the roots more quickly than when I have in the mini braids. Maybe its just more noticeable then, but I don't know for sure. I'm not going to stop the moisturizing and sealing for my scalp, so I will release them on the 30th for a great twistout on Easter Sunday and length check for this part of the challenge.

BraunSugar

Well guys, just eleven more days of this first part of the challenge! I did a trim of about an inch last night. My ends seem to be a lot better. Wore my hair in a bun today.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
^^^Delicious bun!

My hair will be in straight back cornrows for two weeks.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using LHCF

virtuenow

I will be in mini twists all of April (can't wait)! Until then, I am practicing some out styles w/o heat. Victoria44 your braid outs are so pretty. Could you give some tips on how you achieve this style. You do not use heat, correct? What products/technique? Do you do it on wet hair right after wash/cond? Or is it on dry hair? Thanks!

Victoria44

I will be in mini twists all of April (can't wait)! Until then, I am practicing some out styles w/o heat. Victoria44 your braid outs are so pretty. Could you give some tips on how you achieve this style. You do not use heat, correct? What products/technique? Do you do it on wet hair right after wash/cond? Or is it on dry hair? Thanks!

Thank you! My braid outs are pretty simple. I don't use heat. I wash/DC on wash day and then I apply kinky curly knot today and seal with a little bit of castor oil, section by section on damp hair. I usually have 10-12 braids.

The next day those chunky braids have dried and also shrink. So I unbraid each one, slightly spritz with water, split it in two, apply a little bit of my fav moisturizer (qhemet biologics burdock root butter cream/Oyin handmade hair dew) and apply a very tiny amnt of castor oil.

At this point I have doubled the braids so they're more stretched and also they were done on dry hair so they won't shrink as much over night.

Then the next day I just take it out and fluff fluff fluff til it's as full as it can get lol.

faithVA

[USER said:
Victoria44;18102183[/USER]]Thank you! My braid outs are pretty simple. I don't use heat. I wash/DC on wash day and then I apply kinky curly knot today and seal with a little bit of castor oil, section by section on damp hair. I usually have 10-12 braids.

The next day those chunky braids have dried and also shrink. So I unbraid each one, slightly spritz with water, split it in two, apply a little bit of my fav moisturizer (qhemet biologics burdock root butter cream/Oyin handmade hair dew) and apply a very tiny amnt of castor oil.

At this point I have doubled the braids so they're more stretched and also they were done on dry hair so they won't shrink as much over night.

Then the next day I just take it out and fluff fluff fluff til it's as full as it can get lol.

How do you maintain it for 2nd/3rd day?

Victoria44

How do you maintain it for 2nd/3rd day?

I hardly ever wear braid outs more than twice after a wash. If I'm going to wear a braid out again I always braid my hair before bed in larger braids (6-8). I usually use more moisturizer and oil to braid it up. But if I'm not wearing my hair out again, then I stretch my hair in twists or bantu knots. I always stretch though, because when I don't it gets extremely dry and tangled

FoxxyLocs

Straightened and trimmed on Wednesday. I didn't have to trim too much, about 1/2 inch. I'm slowly making progress since my last length check. I'm slightly past WL, and the bulk of my hair is WL. Before I was right at WL, and the bulk of my hair was MBL. It's taken over a year to get to this point though, so I doubt that I'll see HL this year.

I'm going to continue to PS and be careful with my ends and see what happens.

NikkiQ

Taking the braids down this weekend to put into a super high bun for a day at the beach. I've been LOCing my hair every other day this week and my hair seems to be responding well. I'm very happy. 9 more days!

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Still in cornrows. It's been a week. They look pretty bad now but i usually wear a beanie over them anyway. *shrug*

Been using the new NJoy mix between the parts and baggying overnight. Next week I'll take them out and wear a braid out for a day, then bun for a couple weeks.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using LHCF