Twist, Braid, Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/13 - 3/31/13)

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Hair today...Will wear a braidout tomorrow (hopefully) and then twist my hair and pin it up for the week.

song_of_serenity

Still twisting! Had a cashier ask me what I "put in my hair" yesterday, even though it was fuzzy!! :) she took out a pen and got to writing, made me smile.

NikkiQ

New set of Celies going in today after wash day was a major success. Nothing like a clean head of hair after a hectic weekend.

hnntrr

For the ladies with 4a/3c/3b hair....how do you keep the marley braid hair from slipping out so fast? Is there another type of braiding hair that works better? Its been two weeks and most of my twists have slipped a good 2 inches down. I have to take them out tomorrow, but when i put them back in....what should i do to help them stay in longer? I plan on reinstalling them around the 4th-6th of april and leaving them in for a month.

I did wash them 3 times ( my head gets really itchy If i dont wash it, so i know that contributed to it too) but how can i help keep them from slipping? Should I install them tighter?

faithVA

I was hoping to be able to join the next round of this challenge but it looks like I will have to wait until July. Still don't have enough hair to twist and wear :sad:

But enjoying watching the progress in here.

Igotstripes

I did wash them 3 times ( my head gets really itchy If i dont wash it, so i know that contributed to it too) but how can i help keep them from slipping? Should I install them tighter?

I think installing tighter will help. You don't want them too tight but you hav to be firm with it or they will come out.

TruMe

I haven't been in here in a minute but I am bunning during the week and wearing it out on the weekends. Had a rough middle part of this challenge because I was missing my hair but I am back sane again. Need to reach my goal this year!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My hair did well with this challenge. Now I am learning how to work with local products with my hair. So far, so good! I will be in next challenge as well!:yep:

BraunSugar

Ladies, is anybody interested in taking the reigns for the next challenge or would you like me to just start up another thread for the next installment?

Tibbar

Ladies, is anybody interested in taking the reigns for the next challenge or would you like me to just start up another thread for the next installment?

Please stay! Luv you!! :grin:
Supportive, encouraging, informative, and fun!
What more could a thread ask for??? :yep:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
First pic is Jan/end of Dec. I couldn't pull it down. It was a little past shoulder. Second pic is now...little past APL.

ForumRunner_20130329_061735.jpg

ForumRunner_20130329_061616.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T959 using LHCF

NikkiQ

I'll be taking my LC pic tomorrow or Sunday. I'm pretty pleased with my progress this time around. :yep:

jesusislove1526

Thank you! I'm only going to cowash them twice. To prevent tangling, I'm going to band them and focus on my scalp only. Hopefully this will work, but we will see. I'll post my results after I do it, probably on the 21st.

This is how my twists looked after the first cowashing with banding. They seemed okay then, but later the fuzz overcame them. I don't know...maybe I won't be able to cowash with twists and expect them to still look nice. I'm going to be putting in mini/micro twists with braided roots for April, and I am going to forgo cowashing while they are in to see if that will work for me better. Length check comparison pics and twistout pics for Easter to come...

Attachments

• IMG_20130323_104901.jpg
    IMG_20130323_104901.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20130323_105130.jpg
    IMG_20130323_105130.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 36

BraunSugar

This is how my twists looked after the first cowashing with banding. They seemed okay then, but later the fuzz overcame them. I don't know...maybe I won't be able to cowash with twists and expect them to still look nice. I'm going to be putting in mini/micro twists with braided roots for April, and I am going to forgo cowashing while they are in to see if that will work for me better. Length check comparison pics and twistout pics for Easter to come...

Washing them is the reason I had to stop doing them. Even with banding, my hair tangled up after I washed them and take down was tragic. I am working out 5-6 days a week now and there is no way that I wouldn't be able to wash them frequently because of how much I sweat. I think I am going to put in a set of mini braids during our next challenge so that I don't have much to worry about.

virtuenow

^^^^I think my hair looks much better after washing in twists. It wraps and coils around like a spring. My hair is much kinkier than most people on here, so I guess that's the difference! I can't wait to start co-washing my mini-twists when it gets warmer.

BraunSugar

^^^^I think my hair looks much better after washing in twists. It wraps and coils around like a spring. My hair is much kinkier than most people on here, so I guess that's the difference! I can't wait to start co-washing my mini-twists when it gets warmer.

I have always believed that kinkier hair holds twists a lot better than curly/kinky or just curly hair. They seem to last longer and look better. :yep:

jesusislove1526

I have always believed that kinkier hair holds twists a lot better than curly/kinky or just curly hair. They seem to last longer and look better. :yep:

Me too. One of my daughters has 4b hair, and her twists look so much fuller than mine! Her twists can last through multiple washings and still look the same.

faithVA

I thought my hair was kinky but I swear I can't wash in twist. Water hits my twist and they just start unraveling. I was always wondering what people's secret was. When I first joined, its the first question I asked. People told me I was just doing it wrong :ohwell: