Twist, Braid, Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/13 - 3/31/13)

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I have always believed that kinkier hair holds twists a lot better than curly/kinky or just curly hair. They seem to last longer and look better. :yep:

This is so true. I thought my hair was kinky enough, but my twists look horrific after a wash. They start looking frizzy after a few days even pinned up. *sigh* I have 4a/b hair.

On the other hand, my daughter's hair can hold twists for weeks and be washed in them. I only have to freshen the roots every couple weeks. She has what some ppl call 4c/cnapp hair. I think it is really just 4b...her texture is like clouds and her shrinkage is like 80%.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using LHCF

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I thought my hair was kinky but I swear I can't wash in twist. Water hits my twist and they just start unraveling. I was always wondering what people's secret was. When I first joined, its the first question I asked. People told me I was just doing it wrong :ohwell:

Me too. That's why i wash in braids. Twists and water are a no go.

NikkiQ

Just posted this over in the BSL challenge and wanted to use it for my final check in here too!

So here is my official length check ladies! DH took pics for me but he cut my bra out of the picture b/c he said "it was too low". Then step back fool! *sigh* Good help is hard to find. I did my best taking a pic and compared it to my starting pic. Sorry the comparison is so small.

BraunSugar

Just posted this over in the BSL challenge and wanted to use it for my final check in here too!

Looking good NikkiQ!!!

I think I'm only going to flatiron one section of my hair for the update pic. I flat ironed my whole head for the starting pic, but I'm not going to spend hours doing that only to workout later on.

Igotstripes

Nice progress NikkiQ!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see the rest of yalls, here's mine

I realized that pulling hair from the back of my hair to the front is not really accurate lol so I also attached one doing the right way lol. I measured my hair too, is it supposed to all be the same length? Cause mine is not :/

Also faithVA

Idk id you remember but you were helping me with my frizzy twists dilemma. I decided to give avg for my twists another try since I ran out of gel and twisting creams are like nonexistent here. I was really happy with the way it made my hair look. Thanks for the great suggestion!

Attachments

• image-2833070955.jpg
    image-2833070955.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 18
  • image-2740443970.jpg
    image-2740443970.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 20
  • image-3452119616.jpg
    image-3452119616.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 23
  • image-2212069276.jpg
    image-2212069276.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 25

BraunSugar

Alrighty guys. I decided not to use any heat on my hair for the length check because I'm working out a lot now and I didn't want to waste my time. I dusted and trimmed my hair between the start of the year and now so I didn't expect to have gained any length. No problem at all. My ends are definitely better and that's all I care about.

Starting Pic

Length Check

There will be no more scissors until the end of Summer so if my next length check looks like this, feel free to slap me.

jesusislove1526

My pics for the challenge. Starting pics are on top and current pics are on the bottom of each set of pictures. I didn't straighten for the current pics either since I flat iron once a year.

Attachments

• 12-12 vs 3-13 Comp Pic 1.jpg
    12-12 vs 3-13 Comp Pic 1.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 12-12 vs. 3-13 Comp Pic 2.jpg
    12-12 vs. 3-13 Comp Pic 2.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 27

FoxxyLocs

I did have some success in this challenge. I didn't gain as much length as I would have liked, but the majority of my hair is past WL now. For the next challenge I'll be doing more twists and buns even though they aren't good for my ends. I'm hoping to find a way to make them work because I'm tired of braids.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I did have some success in this challenge. I didn't gain as much length as I would have liked, but the majority of my hair is past WL now. For the next challenge I'll be doing more twists and buns even though they aren't good for my ends. I'm hoping to find a way to make them work because I'm tired of braids.

FoxxyLocs i wouldn't do anything not good gor my ends. :nono: Don't set yourself up for a setback now. If it ain't broke...

g.lo

Guys, not sure if it is worthy for me to post a pic! I did cut my hair after I posted my starting pic!
Although I haven't been posting as much as last time! My hair is thickening up nicely and I haven't been suffering from slip ends!
Thanks ladies for all the support and love in this thread and OP you have done a great job hosting

Igotstripes

Guys, not sure if it is worthy for me to post a pic! I did cut my hair after I posted my starting pic!
Although I haven't been posting as much as last time! My hair is thickening up nicely and I haven't been suffering from slip ends!
Thanks ladies for all the support and love in this thread and OP you have done a great job hosting

Lol you should post it anyway ! :3

FoxxyLocs

@FoxxyLocs i wouldn't do anything not good gor my ends. :nono: Don't set yourself up for a setback now. If it ain't broke...

I'm really not worried about a setback. I've worn twists enough to know that they won't damage my hair, they just cause me to have to trim more often due to ssks. I do want my hair to get to the next length milestone, but if I'm restricted to wearing braids 24/7 for the next 6 months, it's not worth it.

If I can wear twists and still retain, that's great. If not I'll maintain at my current length and be ok with it.

Victoria44

I haven't taken a length check pic yet, but I've seen great improvement from this session. I've gotten into a routine and my hair is retaining and thickening. I had been struggling with holes and splits in my strands but I think it's under control now. This session was a life saver lol.

g.lo

although i haven't made a length progress, I am really happy with the health of my hair, no more struggling with splits, ssks and dry hair..
this a pic from today

Attachments

• S1520003.jpg
    S1520003.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 33

Igotstripes

although i haven't made a length progress, I am really happy with the health of my hair, no more struggling with splits, ssks and dry hair..
this a pic from today

Congrats on your healthy hair!! I love your shirt lol I want one

rsmith

Hey Ladies very good progress. I see that I have retained some length not a whole lot but my hair is healthy. I will post some pics by the end of the week.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
this a pic from today

Nice! What contributed to the change g.lo? What's your new reggie?

g.lo

Nice! What contributed to the change g.lo? What's your new reggie?

Froreal3, since last year i have been struggling with midshaft split.
I just had to remove all the damage, and i am happy I did that.
I found out that, dropping henna from my reggie was a mistake, baggy on wet hair is a big nono! I need a light protein once a week and a hard core twice a month! my hair is naturally highly porous.

Fhrizzball

So I'm late with this but here's my results. I actually couldn't find my starting pictures so it's a September to April comparison. I got a bit scissor zealous near the end of 2012 but I still managed to have my hair the longest I've known it to be. Next stop is MBL. Not sure If I'll stick with this challenge though as warmer months make me ache to wear my hair down and I think I want to have a go with havana twists or crochet braids.

september3.jpg FHq1SRt.jpg

ronie

BraunSugar I so love your hair: color, thickness, texture, everything. I saw your regimen, but just wanted to know what shampoo ( sulfate or no?brand?) and what DC you use. I currently have a TWA, and as soon as my twists are long enough to be worn out I am joining this challenge. TIA

BraunSugar

@BraunSugar I so love your hair: color, thickness, texture, everything. I saw your regimen, but just wanted to know what shampoo ( sulfate or no?brand?) and what DC you use. I currently have a TWA, and as soon as my twists are long enough to be worn out I am joining this challenge. TIA

Thank you ronie! I use one of 2 things to wash my hair: Black soap or Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Moisturizing shampoo. It has a sulfate, but it's considered a "milder" one. TBH, sulfate free shampoos are more stripping on my hair than ones with sulfates. For DC I use Lustrasilk Cholesterol. I used to use Silk Elements, but I stopped because I wanted a DC without cones.

I'll be glad to see you whenever you decide to join us! These challenges will be going on all year. :yep: