Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/2012-3/31/2012)

Diva_Esq

Hey ladies...I have been bunning a lot lately. I will be twisting on Sunday and keeping it in twists at least 5 days, rocking a twistout for 2-3 days, then deep conditioning, steaming in the steam room at the gym, and re-twisting. I plan to twist a lot this spring.

Anyway, here's a recent messy bun that I thought made me look like Mrs. Westlake from the Cosby show with my glasses! :lachen:

gvin89

I'm almost long enough to bun, but not quite. Sooooo, back to the twists!!!!

So I used my pass for a special event. Today, I will DC overnight and tomorrow I will return to my twists.

Last edited:

LoveTheSkinImIn

My first set of yard braids. These are gonna stay in my head until they grow knees, get on them, and BEG me to take them out lol Not really but...they took me 3 days to do, so they're gonna be in for quite some time.

Attachments

• Photo 5.jpg
    Photo 5.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 47

curlycrocheter

Hey everybody! Gorgeous pics and updates!

I said I would be doing box braids, but I just haven't had the energy. Plus, my preggo hormones have my hair feeling all types of whack! I've been wearing the same pitiful bun for like 2weeks now. I've only worn braids once since the challenge started. Hopefully, I'll have the energy to do put some braids tomorrow or Wednesday.

discodumpling

Rocking a messy french roll with some sort of puffy pompadoury thing infront (for interest LOL!!) I did not moisturize my hair before leaving the house and right about now she's sooo thirsty! Unless I get caught in the rain she'll just have to wait till later...

faithVA

My first set of yard braids. These are gonna stay in my head until they grow knees, get on them, and BEG me to take them out lol Not really but...they took me 3 days to do, so they're gonna be in for quite some time.

They look nice. Not sure how they will look with knees though :nono:

SummerSolstice

@faithVA I cant make a regular bun because I cant get it looking smooth by just gathering up my hair into a ponytail holder so this is what I do

I make 4 sections, one front, 2 side pieces and a middle piece. I make a pony puff with the middle piece (pic 1)

then I smooth down the front piece and add it to the pony puff using another ponytail holder (pic 2)

then I smooth down and add the 2 side pieces for the final stage of the pony puff (pic 3)

I will be trying this SimJam thank you :drunk:

SimJam

A few pics of my hair over the last week or so

the first was the twists I put in last week, wore a twistout yesterday and today I made that faux french braid thing Ive ALWAYS wanted to try :grin:

It counts as a bun right @faithVA

My BF asked me if Im going to work like that ... Iwas like HELL YEAH :lachen: Ive been waiting for forever to do this style :lol:

***full and healthy crown and edges challenge is helping my edges, I would never have the guts to wear my hair back before, but now Im not too concious of them, thogh they need to fill in more***

Attachments

• DSC02294.jpg
    DSC02294.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC02310.jpg
    DSC02310.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC02308.JPG
    DSC02308.JPG
    437.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Grand Prix

Can't believe I've bunned for an entire month already! Last time I've worn it out was for Christmas.
I've become soo lazy with my hair though. Why wash and dc when my hair looks/feels/is the same anyway. :lol: No idea if I'm retaining though.. I should've straightened my hair before the challenge and then straighten after. But I really don't feel like it right now. :look:

faithVA

A few pics of my hair over the last week or so

the first was the twists I put in last week, wore a twistout yesterday and today I made that faux french braid thing Ive ALWAYS wanted to try :grin:

It counts as a bun right @faithVA

My BF asked me if Im going to work like that ... Iwas like HELL YEAH :lachen: Ive been waiting for forever to do this style :lol:

***full and healthy crown and edges challenge is helping my edges, I would never have the guts to wear my hair back before, but now Im not too concious of them, thogh they need to fill in more***

Do your thing girl :lol: People will get use to us naturals eventually. :yep:

faithVA

Can't believe I've bunned for an entire month already! Last time I've worn it out was for Christmas.
I've become soo lazy with my hair though. Why wash and dc when my hair looks/feels/is the same anyway. :lol: No idea if I'm retaining though.. I should've straightened my hair before the challenge and then straighten after. But I really don't feel like it right now. :look:

Sounds like you are doing just fine to me. Taking a break for one month shouldn't cause you any problem because it still sounds like you are doing the right thing by your hair.

ladykpnyc

faithVA: Sorry for being MIA; life just got crazy busy!!

I have been following the rules, my hair has been in mini twists since the last challenge, with no more than 24 hour breaks between new sets.

I'll post pictures when I get home.

SimJam

I forgot this was a twist braid bun challenge ... ooooh so I can bun all week!!!

Im loving this bunhawk thing I did yesterday ... I changed it up this morning so its not so much rolls but now buns in a hawky style .... lol

and its not as poofy

Attachments

• bunhawk.jpg
    bunhawk.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 44

Nubenap22

my hair...I soooo ready to be released from these twists!! I'm going to put them on perm rods tonight, wear a twist and curl tomorrow, detangle and s/d any skk's or anything ( I've only felt one or two ) condition, then wash, henna, oil rinse then moisture conditioner! Or at least thats still the plan! I'll update y'all in a few days....I don't know what I'm doing to do as far as styling.

JudithO

I can't wait to get back on this challenge... I miss my hair so much... and want to yank these extensions out.. I miss you ladies too :(

faithVA

I can't wait to get back on this challenge... I miss my hair so much... and want to yank these extensions out.. I miss you ladies too :(

Awww Judy, whats going on with you lady? Sometimes the first few weeks with extensions is rough until you settle in. Then you may start to appreciate them and start to relax some. You need a break from your hair so try to enjoy it.

I do know how you feel though. I miss my hair for the first two weeks.

Tibbar

Still hanging in there with twists...
I've been in twists pretty much exclusively since last August, it's working out pretty well for my hair's health. I try to keep my hair well conditioned and moisturized. I also do a variety of styles just to keep from being bored with twists, I don't want to be tempted to return to my wicked ways of hair torture!! :lol:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I've been bunning for two weeks and I miss my twists. I will be installing some Monday-Tuesday.

JudithO

Awww Judy, whats going on with you lady? Sometimes the first few weeks with extensions is rough until you settle in. Then you may start to appreciate them and start to relax some. You need a break from your hair so try to enjoy it.

I do know how you feel though. I miss my hair for the first two weeks.

Girl I haven't had extensions in almost 2 years... so these first two weeks are so rough. I want to touch my hair so bad... lol.... BUT I need a break from my hair though, so I have to power thru the next 4 weeks. + I just discovered some great natural products for my hair and I cant wait to use it on my whole head of hair. Washed my braids last night and my new growth feels so soft...

Last edited:

gvin89

Yesterday I put AOHSR on dry hair for a few hours. Washed with CV shampoo bar and DC with AOGPB Rosemary & Peppermint.

Twisted up in minis with a few flat twists on the side going back to keep the hair off my face. Got a few in the top to make a bang. Hoping the style will last 2 weeks.

cch24

I'm so excited to wash my hair tomorrow. It's so fun wearing it down but it's a lot more work. I'll do a wash and go tomorrow to ensure that I have no heat damage and then it's back to bunning!

discodumpling

Just put my hair into 12 knots. I'll wear the "out" for the next 2 days & then it's back into a bun for the rest of the week.

TruMe

Here are my bun choices from last week. I was going to put my hair in mini twists this weekend but yard work took up the time I needed to be able to get it done in one weekend. Oh well, maybe will try again in a couple of weeks.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 52
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 53
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 49