Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/2012-3/31/2012)

faithVA

Here are my bun choices from last week. I was going to put my hair in mini twists this weekend but yard work took up the time I needed to be able to get it done in one weekend. Oh well, maybe will try again in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for sharing all of your bun styles with us TruMe. I only wear a banana clip bun for right now. But as my hair gets longer I will definitely want to revisit some of your pics to help me out :yep:

gvin89

This challenge is helping me with my twisting technique. Each set looks better and takes less time to put in. I'm sure this will assist in retaining length.

I still have trouble banding/stretching...shrinkage is the devil! The pro of it is that my ends do not rub against my shirts and coats.

LoveTheSkinImIn

I'm still in my yarn braids. I decided I'll probably wash once a week, so I washed for the first time last week. I was a little concerned but it was easy-peasy.

judy4all This is only my 2nd time having extensions. The 1st time was Senegalese twists (...but really they were microtwists...) but regardless, after a week I wanted to yank them out. They looked nice, but they were itchy (the hair itself was itchy) and just plain uncomfy. And my SO did wanna bury his head in my synthetic, itchy twists lol

But with the yarn braids, I haven't had that 1-2 week initial period of being frustrated with them or wondering how I'm gonna make it 6 weeks. The "hair" doesn't itch because it's not hair...it's yarn. It LOOKS more natural...I only paid $5 for it lol...and my SO doesn't mind it in his face because it's just yarn. I'm already thinking after I take this set out, I'm gonna give my hair a break for a few weeks and put another set in!

Nubenap22

My hair came out really well for the twist out last saturday. I got tons of complements ( sorry no pics ) I applied coconut oil on the ends and olive oil to combat any chance of tangling before untwisting....cam out great....I only wore the twist out for about 8 hours then came home....oiled, detangled, chunky twisted up and prepped to wash/henna/condition sunday.

Sunday came out good I used Njoi's henna bar since all my henna is back home. Added oil, water and conditioner. Left on for 5 hours...I saw some color today...

Since I was and still am feeling lazy I finished with acv spray, leave in, NJoi's shea-aloe butter and Oyin's burnt sugar pomade on the ends and braid the roots and chunky twisted....and put in a ponytail....that counts right? Ha 2 in 1 for y'all...I've taken my ponytail down its a pip-squeak one but I don't care my ends are protected and up till I figure what I want to do next

Oh yea something else I learned about my hair...I can go longer without washing my hair..I think I prefer to wait 2 weeks as long as I don't use something gellyish or constantly use Ecostyler on the edges ( doesn't do nada!)

So for right now I'm about to baggy my ponytail, oil my scalp, then write a paper for nursing research

faithVA

This challenge is helping me with my twisting technique. Each set looks better and takes less time to put in. I'm sure this will assist in retaining length.

I still have trouble banding/stretching...shrinkage is the devil! The pro of it is that my ends do not rub against my shirts and coats.

Glad to hear that your twist are getting better. They should look stunning by the end of March. :yep:

faithVA

[USER=324375 said:
LoveTheSkinImIn[/USER];15227271]I'm still in my yarn braids. I decided I'll probably wash once a week, so I washed for the first time last week. I was a little concerned but it was easy-peasy.

@judy4all This is only my 2nd time having extensions. The 1st time was Senegalese twists (...but really they were microtwists...) but regardless, after a week I wanted to yank them out. They looked nice, but they were itchy (the hair itself was itchy) and just plain uncomfy. And my SO did wanna bury his head in my synthetic, itchy twists lol

But with the yarn braids, I haven't had that 1-2 week initial period of being frustrated with them or wondering how I'm gonna make it 6 weeks. The "hair" doesn't itch because it's not hair...it's yarn. It LOOKS more natural...I only paid $5 for it lol...and my SO doesn't mind it in his face because it's just yarn. I'm already thinking after I take this set out, I'm gonna give my hair a break for a few weeks and put another set in!

Glad to hear your yarn braids are working out well for you and I hope you have fabulous growth and retention. Unfortunately, this is a no extension challenge so I had to remove your name from the challenger list. But you are free to just hang out in here if you would like.

faithVA

My hair came out really well for the twist out last saturday. I got tons of complements ( sorry no pics ) I applied coconut oil on the ends and olive oil to combat any chance of tangling before untwisting....cam out great....I only wore the twist out for about 8 hours then came home....oiled, detangled, chunky twisted up and prepped to wash/henna/condition sunday.

Sunday came out good I used Njoi's henna bar since all my henna is back home. Added oil, water and conditioner. Left on for 5 hours...I saw some color today...

Since I was and still am feeling lazy I finished with acv spray, leave in, NJoi's shea-aloe butter and Oyin's burnt sugar pomade on the ends and braid the roots and chunky twisted....and put in a ponytail....that counts right? Ha 2 in 1 for y'all...I've taken my ponytail down its a pip-squeak one but I don't care my ends are protected and up till I figure what I want to do next

Oh yea something else I learned about my hair...I can go longer without washing my hair..I think I prefer to wait 2 weeks as long as I don't use something gellyish or constantly use Ecostyler on the edges ( doesn't do nada!)

So for right now I'm about to baggy my ponytail, oil my scalp, then write a paper for nursing research

Sounds really good. Seems like you have things worked out and working for you.

Diva_Esq

Been bunning faithfully daily...alternating between low, high ballerina, side and messy. This weekend, I will be switching to twists.

NaturallyTori

Washed and deep conditioned hair. Twisted with KeraCare's Twist and Define Cream (I have a little left that I'm trying to use up) and Bee Mine's Curly Hold Butter.

TruMe

No good pics from this past week. Just boring looking buns, mainly because I was just so tired all this week.

EasypeaZee

Hey guys still in braids... Hairs looking kinda fuzzy. But Sunday is wash and Rebraid day... Exciting!! I'll have some pictures for you then.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

discodumpling

So I had enough energy to twist my bangs yaaay me!! The back will be bunned or braided for the foreseeable future. I don't have formal names for my buns...truly my aim is always to see how I can keep my hair up off my neck using ONE single pin, clip or french comb. Hair toys feel soooooooo heavy on my fairy fine hair...I wore one single decorative metal barrette to hold her up for a date with my 8 yr old on Friday...it was so heavy I took it out and fashioned an impromtu updo with a bobby pin!

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I've been wearing braid out buns and updos for a week. Next week, I'll finally be able to wash, deep condition, and live in my usual twists. lol

cch24 your new signature... wowzers! :drool:

faithVA

I keep saying I am going to take pictures but life is so busy right now. So I will probably just take update pics in March.

I am back to my two strand twists. They are just easier. Since they are getting longer, it is easier for me to just pull them back and not have to do a lot with them.I haven't even been wearing a twist out before wash day. I have a dinner party in a couple of weeks so I think I will wear it out then. Hopefully, I will be nicely surprised. Then it will go back up, until the March 31st length check.

I didn't wash this week was too tired. So last night I just took down 1 twist at a time, misted with water and applied a conditioner/oil mix and twisted back up. The twist look fresh. I will wash either Friday or Saturday and put in some small twists, so I can wear a really nice twist out the following weekend.

Melaninme

Wore my hair in small twists for two weeks. Washed and conditioned strands and now I'm wearing medium size twists. Wished I had made them a bit larger though.:sad:

faithVA

I'm actually wearing my twists down today. I was excited about it this morning but now I'm over it :lol: I may wear it out tomorrow but I definitely want to wash it tomorrow night.

And I supposed to put in small twists but since I have been doing medium twists for a while, I'm not sure I can make myself do small twists :look:

Can't wait until spring, so I can condition any time and walk around with wet hair. That will make hair days so much easier.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
I straightened my hair from Fri-Tues then I was over it. I got annoyed with the back of my hair getting knotty from my scarves and the fact that I had to tie my scarf extra tight so that my hair didnt get puffy. Plus exercising was getting way too complicated and pincurling was too time consuming (45mins). So I'm back in my flattwists and twists probably into next week.

faithVA

I straightened my hair from Fri-Tues then I was over it. I got annoyed with the back of my hair getting knotty from my scarves and the fact that I had to tie my scarf extra tight so that my hair didnt get puffy. Plus exercising was getting way too complicated and pincurling was too time consuming (45mins). So I'm back in my flattwists and twists probably into next week.

I like the color of your hair.

It is interesting how fast we can be over something :lol:

I have wanted to bun for months and months. Wore a bun for a week and was over it :lol:

EasypeaZee

This probably isn't the best picture but I said I'd post my progress so here it is....

image-2041083340.jpg

It's getting longer and I can feel it so I'm very happy!! This is making me want to stretch longer... :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

MeowMix

Wowee. 3/31 is in only 6 weeks. Just checking in to say howdy. My hair is in 4 big cornrows right now. I plan on doing a dust in a couple of weeks. HHJ everyone.

Evolving78

i am in cornrows right now. my SIL who braided my hair was breaking it off like it was dried up pine needles. so i need to have someone else braid and not do it so tightly. i hope she didn't cause any crazy damage. i wonder if i should take them down to see?

faithVA

i am in cornrows right now. my SIL who braided my hair was breaking it off like it was dried up pine needles. so i need to have someone else braid and not do it so tightly. i hope she didn't cause any crazy damage. i wonder if i should take them down to see?

Unless they are too tight, I think you should just leave them. Give your hair a breather. Taking them down now is just more manipulation and not allowing your hair and scalp to recover from the process.

Diva_Esq

Had twists for five days. Today will be day 3 twisted, so I will probably deep condition tonight and re-twist.