Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/2012-3/31/2012)

Fine 4s

Ladies, have anyone of you had issues with your edges when bunning? How do I prevent issues such as the edges weakening or even breakage around where the bun is placed?

Evolving78

Ladies, have anyone of you had issues with your edges when bunning? How do I prevent issues such as the edges weakening or even breakage around where the bun is placed?

Fine 4s
from what i gather, you place the bun in different positions each day, avoiding using elastics to create a ponytail, and don't make the bun too tight. you simply twist the hair up(coil around) and pin it down or use a satin scrunchie to secure. you can use hair sticks and clips as well.

Vintagecoilylocks

2011 is the first year I wore braids as a means to grow and repair my hair. I like it so I am in this challenge.

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
Braids with fringe in twists in between wash and braid to wash.

What is your style maintenance regimen?
I CO, DC, oil rinse, seal and detangle every 5 days.

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
Natural

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?

I am recovering from a 4-5 year shedding. Layers developed, and there was no more progress in length. I hope to see one and a half inch of progress on my crown area and the thickness moving down. The longest strands are just past hip. I am aiming for full crown at hip in 2012. Same goal for the layer that is just at BCL then to protect my layer at lower TBL(Which may be terminal.)
Goal to get layers as close together as is naturally entended with my hair.:yep:

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
I don't plan on wearing my hair out however I would like to go back to mini braids at the end of this challenge.

Vintagecoilylocks

I use satin twist. I take my briaids or hair and start rolling half way up until all roled on the twist. Then I twist up till secure. No ruff edges and not tight to cause breakage. This is what they look like.

The second way is I start a loose twist then I start to wind the hair in a bun holding it down at first. When all the ends are in I use a large soft tip hair pin to secure the bun ends to the bun not my scalp hairs. It may take 3 hair pins or more for alot of hair.

I had no breakage.

I am now using another method because the bun was getting to heavy as some of my volume has returned this past 10 months. :yep: Need to get a photo later.

Evolving78

lovely_locks
i don't recommend using a cotton one. they absorb moisture and may cause breakage. use Goody Good Day Hair pins to secure the bun and then put a scrunchie on top to hold in place. remember you don't want to make it too tight.

Will a non satin scrunchy work as well? The satin ones have a tendency to slip off of my hair.

cch24

I'm super excited for this challenge! I started this Friday with a shampoo, dc, detangle, and wash and go pony. Wore the ponytail until Monday morning, when I spritzed, added moisturizer, and bunned. Will repeat this Friday!

Last edited:

jenaccess

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? bunning
What is your style maintenance regimen? Daily moisturize, weeky shampoo and condition
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? texlaxed
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? retain length
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 days
Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
I will post picture this saturday

TruMe

I would like to join. Just what I was looking for.

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
Bunning. May try a combination of twists and bunning as well.

What is your style maintenance regimen?
I will doing a wet bun every morning after taking out my night braids. After unbraiding, I will wet hair with water, seal with castor oil, put back in a bun, slick edges down with KCCC, wrap with a scarf for 20 minutes, remove scarf and go.

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
Natural

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
Length retention.

2 days.

Attachments

• IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0646.jpg
    IMG_0646.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

faithVA

Sorry that I have been missing in action ladies. I have been pretty much locked out of the site until this evening. I will get everything updated by New Years Eve.

lovely_locks

@lovely_locks
i don't recommend using a cotton one. they absorb moisture and may cause breakage. use Goody Good Day Hair pins to secure the bun and then put a scrunchie on top to hold in place. remember you don't want to make it too tight.

Ah okay, thanks. I actually bought some mini goody twist pins(?) I forgot what they are called yesterday. I have yet to use them.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
I'd love to join

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? box braids
What is your style maintenance regimen? cowash daily, re-braid every 3-4 weeks
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? retain length and less breakage from manipulation
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? No more than 2 days

About 3 weeks old

manter26

I've decided to wear wigs instead of only braids. I have my hair in large braids in a bun while at home, but I'm putting a wig over it to leave the house. I work from home so I'm only out 2-4 hours at a time maybe once or twice a week.

If that's against the rules, I'll withdraw from the challenge.

Nonie

I'm rocking back and forth contemplating getting braid extensions. My only problem is I would need 30"+ human hair. Two packs would cost me the price of a small car and two kidneys. Where am I to get that sort of money? :ohwell:

If anyone will hook me up, I'll braid yours too for free and I do a fairly good job. :poke: Tis the season for giving y'all so that's why I'm offering my time.

Ooh...now that I think about it, people charge $200+ to do braid extensions. I will accept a gift card for hisandher.com to braid someone's hair. :look: (Desperate times call for desperate measures. :look: )

faithVA

I've decided to wear wigs instead of only braids. I have my hair in large braids in a bun while at home, but I'm putting a wig over it to leave the house. I work from home so I'm only out 2-4 hours at a time maybe once or twice a week.

If that's against the rules, I'll withdraw from the challenge.

Yeah manter26, that is against the rules. HYH challenge may be a better fit for you.

faithVA

Sorry I have been missing in action ladies. I haven't been able to get on the forum for days since it has been sooooo slow :nono: So I'm trying to catch up.

faithVA

UPDATE: Those with a completed initial post + picture will be considered challengers. All others will be considered visitors. That way I can tag the challengers when it comes time for updates.

I will give everyone until Jan 1st to update their information. And I will update the challenger list on January 2nd.

Ronnieaj

Hair is bunned this week and next, then will be back to twisting.

Someone is playing a cruel joke on me. I couldn't find my camera to take end-of-year pics, so I used my cell phone. Now I can't find that either :nono:! I'll find both by Sunday though faithVA.

rainbowknots

Question, how do you ladies keep the tips of your twists from unraveling? I'm doing my first set and they seem ok but the ends unravel and look puffy?

Ronnieaj

blaqphoenix, usually I just wet them a little and then twirl the end of the hair around itself, almost so it forms a curl. If I have some twisting butter or something, I'll use that to give a little more hold.

Nonie has some great pics that show her twirling the ends of her twists. Hopefully she can chime in and help.

MeowMix

It looks like this challenge is well under way. Can I get in please? Thanks

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Braids
What is your style maintenance regimen? co 2x/wk, DC 1x/wk baggy ~3x/wk. Restyle about every 10 days
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Retain length with less manipulation
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2
starting pic is in my siggy

Last edited:

Nubenap22

I added my starting twist to my original post on the 2nd page!! I might add a pic of how I wear it new years. I twisted on air dried hair in chunky twist and just added flaxseed gel and my ends moisture sealer. I gotta learn how to do chunky twists on my hair!!

ImFree27

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?I will be doing twists and buns every 2 weeks
What is your style maintenance regimen? Nothing really, just take hair scrunchie down at night, oil ends, pin up and put on bonnett.
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I hope to retain a lot of length and make it to waistlenght.
Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). I won't be wearing my hair out, it's way too cold here for that, buns and twists every two weeks, alternating styles so I don't get bored.
faithVA

Attachments

• IMAG0488.jpg
    IMAG0488.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: