Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/2012-3/31/2012)

faithVA

You're so happy about the challenge being over! :lol: I'm pretty happy too. Although my regimen is perfect for this kind of thing, I've been so bad about updating... :nono:

I guess I'm not really a challenge person. Still bunning though. Will straighten again in May for graduation and probably not again until late 2012, if at all this year. Depending on my summer plans I might blow dry my hair and get individual braids with just my hair put in. We'll see...

I know its sad to admit but I just can't help it :lol: Even though I will probably still wear my hair in twist most of the time, I just want freedom. But knowing me I won't do anything different :nono:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Starting week 3 of these twists. I will probably remove them next week.

Removing my twists right now. I REALLY need to shampoo and deep condition. I only used Oyin's Frank Juice, my sulfur oil, and hemp seed oil on these twists for maintenance, but my scalp... :perplexed. Yep, it's time! :lol:

TruMe

Still bunning at least 5 days a week. I cannot wait to see if this helped me retain length. Would be good to know all this sacrificing paid off.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
washed and deep conditioned my hair on 3/9 and 3/10. Braided on Sat night. I can feel the difference in length 1. when I braid I have to switch arm positions and 2. when i move my head around, I can feel the braids slapping me. I really hope there is a noticeable difference but it wont make much of a differnce because once the challenge is over I'll continue to braid.

faithVA

I tried a bantu knot out for the weekend. It looked ok. It was big :lol: My SO called me a chia pet. So it got pulled back into a banana clip. So yesterday I put it back up in flat twists. I will be wearing flat twists until the end of the month. They are real easy and they look neater than my 2 strands.

I think I will try to wear these until the end of June my length check. Can I do 13 weeks? :look:

EasypeaZee

Hello ladies! Sorry for the disappearance I've been studying for the mcats and school so just been busy busy. I put my hair into 6 cornrows and I'm trying to see how long I can keep redoing them before feeling the need to stick my hands in my hair (or get a touch up) so far so good. It'll be three weeks on Sunday, trying to
Make it a month at a time...

HG!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

gvin89

Hey ladies!!! I'm sitting here DCing...getting my mind right to twist back up. Things are going well...counting down these last 2 weeks.

NaturallyTori

Washed and deep conditioned last Saturday and twisted my hair (I forgot to update). I took my twists out on Thursday, and wore my hair in a twist out.

I washed and conditioned my hair today, and placed my hair in a bun. I'm tired of twisting.

discodumpling

Still bunning and updoing. This challenge has really made me get creative with styling my hair :) Looking forward to flat ironing on the 31st for my length check!

faithVA

I feel like I haven't twisted my hair in forever. I think I am always disappointed that my twists don't hang longer than they do. :ohwell: I put in medium size twists. They look ok. So I will pull them up into a bun or updo tomorrow.

I used to put twists in with no problem. Now when I get to the third row I am just ready to be finished :lol: If I made them smaller than this they would look really nice but I just don't want to be bothered :nono:

Only 2 more weeks ladies and we will have made it. :yep:

NappyNelle

I know! I'm excited for the end of the challenge. I feel like my hair is more dense than before.

Nubenap22

checking in ...still got the twisted up do...its days are numbered....gonna take down...prepoo and do the whole she bang with henna this weekend.

faithVA

My twists are slowly getting longer but it is taking a while. Hopefully in another 2 months, my twists will all be long enough to pull back into a bun. Right now I have to pin the front rows up because they slide out. I don't foresee being able to pull my twists all the way to the back until the end of the year. Patience, patience, patience :yep:

septemberbaby

faithVA said:
My twists are slowly getting longer but it is taking a while. Hopefully in another 2 months, my twists will all be long enough to pull back into a bun. Right now I have to pin the front rows up because they slide out. I don't foresee being able to pull my twists all the way to the back until the end of the year. Patience, patience, patience :yep:

You're doing great. Hang in there. :yep:

TruMe

I really want to see what my hair would look like in twists but I don't want to end up doing all that work and they look ridiculous. :nono: Oh well, guess I will just finish up with buns for the rest of this challenge.

faithVA

I really want to see what my hair would look like in twists but I don't want to end up doing all that work and they look ridiculous. :nono: Oh well, guess I will just finish up with buns for the rest of this challenge.

Why don't you just try twisting sections of your hair. You don't have to do the whole thing. Over the weekend, just twist the the front quarter and bun the rest. If you don't like it you can just pull the twists back into the bun or remove the twists and bun the entire thing. That way you don't spend a lot of time.

I have twisted 25%, 50% and then 100%. You can make it work. My twists don't always look great so I just pull them back and no one knows the difference. Today I have put my twists into two cornrows going back 75% of the way and then took the cornrows and the rest of the twist and put them into a bun.

Twists are very flexible that way. :yep:

faithVA

Ladies, there are 10 days left in this challenge. And I will not create another challenge thread to continue the challenge next month. If anyone wants to host the next challenge, I would be willing to help you co-host it.

Or if ladies would like to continue on with the challenge, feel free to continue on in this thread as long as you want.

Since my hair is still short :)lol:) I will probably stay in twist for 80% of the year. I just want to be able to switch it up whenever I want.

Nubenap22

Wow thats right it is almost ova!! I'll probably continue depending on how I like my mini braids ( without extension hair) next week....ha I'm getting it done the day before the challenge ends!

Plan for this upcoming week...twist pieces in the front....and use the foam bun from sallys...I might cover this sucker with satin or something...

Tibbar

Ladies, there are 10 days left in this challenge. And I will not create another challenge thread to continue the challenge next month. If anyone wants to host the next challenge, I would be willing to help you co-host it.

Or if ladies would like to continue on with the challenge, feel free to continue on in this thread as long as you want.

Since my hair is still short :)lol:) I will probably stay in twist for 80% of the year. I just want to be able to switch it up whenever I want.

faithVA
Thanks so much for hosting this challenge! I've stayed primarily in twists since last August and I know my hair is healthier for the experience. You have been so supportive and encouraging to everyone - - not just in the twist challenge but in the castor oil challenge and the sulfur challenge -- oh just everywhere really!! :yep:
I'm probably going to stay in twists for a few months longer, and just play it by ear after that...

NappyNelle

Thanks for hosting faithVA! I may be up for hosting the next round. :drunk:

Today I wore a twist-out puff and it was cute... except for my hair being too long and flopping all over the place! I had to keep finger fluffing, and then I threw some bobby pins in there to help the ends stand up. LOL

faithVA

@faithVA
Thanks so much for hosting this challenge! I've stayed primarily in twists since last August and I know my hair is healthier for the experience. You have been so supportive and encouraging to everyone - - not just in the twist challenge but in the castor oil challenge and the sulfur challenge -- oh just everywhere really!! :yep:
I'm probably going to stay in twists for a few months longer, and just play it by ear after that...

Thank you Tibbar. That was so sweet. But now my head is so big it won't fit under my heat cap :lol:

faithVA

I tried to do a braid out today but I have no definition with my braid outs. I have plenty with my twist outs :ohwell: So I put it into a puff which looked pretty good for a change. I suck at doing puffs though. So I made it to tight. Around 10:30 am I had to redo it to loosen it. Then I had to redo it around 2 pm :lol: I will figure it out one day.

I have henna in my hair until 1 am, sitting under my heat cap. I will DC in the morning and hopefully I will feel like putting in some small twists. Last year this time I didn't mind putting in twists. Now I just dread it. I don't know what happened.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Can I ask you ladies a question? When I do twists the next day they are not flat or stylish. They look terrible really. Does that mean my hair is to thin to hold the style? They are usually bunched up and off looking the next day which makes me wonder.

faithVA

Can I ask you ladies a question? When I do twists the next day they are not flat or stylish. They look terrible really. Does that mean my hair is to thin to hold the style? They are usually bunched up and off looking the next day which makes me wonder.

I'm not completely sure what you mean. Are you talking about flat twists or two strand twists? I ask because you said they are not flat? That confused me.

How long is your hair and how do you preserve your style when you go to bed? Do you band your twists, braid them together?

I have fine, medium density hair with major shrinkage. So I have to braid and stretch my twist to keep the style. They are puffy only if I do them on wet hair or if I spritze them. If I put oil on them or do them on stretched hair they don't look so great.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I'm not completely sure what you mean. Are you talking about flat twists or two strand twists? I ask because you said they are not flat? That confused me.

How long is your hair and how do you preserve your style when you go to bed? Do you band your twists, braid them together?

I have fine, medium density hair with major shrinkage. So I have to braid and stretch my twist to keep the style. They are puffy only if I do them on wet hair or if I spritze them. If I put oil on them or do them on stretched hair they don't look so great.

Two strand twists :). I don't really preserve the style. Just pot my scarf on at night. The next day they are all mooshed up and funky looking not straight or hanging down.

faithVA

Two strand twists :). I don't really preserve the style. Just pot my scarf on at night. The next day they are all mooshed up and funky looking not straight or hanging down.

There may be some heads of hair that can preserve the twist by just wrapping them but twists aren't any different than any other style. You may have to braid them up or flat twist them or put them on rods or something like that to keep them neat. If they are long enough you can pineapple them. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your hair.

Right now I have mine on perm rods. But usually I will combine them into several braids for one style. Or I will flat twist them for a different look. If I don't stretch them they usually just shrink up. :ohwell:

Maybe others have a different experience and will share.