Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/2012-3/31/2012)

discodumpling

Thanks for keeping this going FaithVA! I know my hair grew....but I won't see it until I flat iron at the end of the week. If My hair grew a full inch since December i'm gonna act a fool!

I will continue with the challenge if NappyNelle hosts :)

faithVA

Thanks for keeping this going FaithVA! I know my hair grew....but I won't see it until I flat iron at the end of the week. If My hair grew a full inch since December i'm gonna act a fool!

I will continue with the challenge if NappyNelle hosts :)

I need to be this appreciative. :ohwell:

faithVA

I was excited about my hair this weekend but :nono: it didn't last long. I think applying too much oil to my hair prevents my cuticles from closing properly. My hair feels soft and moisturized but its just a fuzzy mess. So day 1 my hair just looks raggedy. And since my hair has looked raggedy for a while I think is part of the reason I feel discouraged with it.

So next week, I will skip the oil and see if I can get a neater look.

gvin89

These 2 months have flown by...I've enjoyed this challenge though. I've learned new, cute ways of styling my twists. I've learned about upkeep and stretching...now I won't be so defeated with my hair. Just a few more days!

Last edited:

faithVA

Ladies, we are officially at the end of this challenge. Hopefully many of you have made some great progress.

Please post your progress pics so we can celebrate your growth.

I'm doing my hair now and will get my pics up this weekend.

TruMe

So excited to see how my hair has progressed, will be doing my hair tomorrow afternoon in a strawler set so I will do my check then.

faithVA

I made no progress ladies. My ends experienced some serious damage :nono: Oh well. At least I tried

Beginning of Challenge
LengthSept2011P2.jpg

End of Challenge
DSCN0159 (640x354).jpg

skraprchik

I think I'll be joining you ladies for the second session of this challenge. faithVA, I've been where you are. My hair moved very little in the fall. It just started recovering in the winter. It will get there, I promise. Maybe you experienced a stall?

Nubenap22

I've enjoyed this challenge.... Ithis has been the longest I've had my hair out without weave or braids and I'm glad I did it. It's allowed me to learn about my hair.

I've learned it likes:
to be stretched,
it doesn't like oils as much as I thought,
henna really is my friend and I need to do it more often,
A few products have gone to the trash and a few have come back
I've learned how I like to style my hair and it work with my lifestyle

I do apologies for not taking another blow out picture but I really didn't want to do more heat but for haha's I don't think it's grown but it is healthier!

Attachments

• image-1190771699.jpg
    image-1190771699.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 49
  • image-2488293462.jpg
    image-2488293462.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 48
  • image-3919700888.jpg
    image-3919700888.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 49

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Je Ne Sais Quoi Put your twists in a high bun and then put on your scarf. our twists will have body the next day. You can also do 4 loose bantu knots for waves and body the next day. I never just throw on my scarf when I'm wearing twists; my hair is too fine for them to look good the next day.

faithVA Those sections of hair look thicker to me though! Perhaps you gained volume over length?

MeowMix

Just took some pics to see if I could see anything and it looks like the only thing that changed was my top. My hair looks the same, the shoulders are still broad, even the streaks on the mirror didn't change

Thanks for leading on this @faithVA. Good luck to everyone in the next round

Attachments

• hair5.jpg
    hair5.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

EasypeaZee

Ok so...... I don't know how much growth I got but here's my pics. I know it grew, just not as fast as I wanted it to... But then again whose does?

Around January

image-847529250.jpg

march 26

image-2768711885.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

faithVA

@Je Ne Sais Quoi Put your twists in a high bun and then put on your scarf. our twists will have body the next day. You can also do 4 loose bantu knots for waves and body the next day. I never just throw on my scarf when I'm wearing twists; my hair is too fine for them to look good the next day.

@faithVA Those sections of hair look thicker to me though! Perhaps you gained volume over length?

That's a good idea about the twists in a high bun. My hair isn't quite long enough. Maybe I will try to put my twists into 2 buns and see how that works.

I don't know if its thicker. The first pic is straightened the 2nd pic is stretched. I figured they looked different for that reason :ohwell:

gvin89

Update: I see a little growth!!!! :grin:

Starting

Ending

Last edited:

TruMe

Best progress pics I could come up with in lieu of my computer screen going out on me (no iPhoto) :-(

First pic was my starting point.

Attachments

• image-999802149.jpg
    image-999802149.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 28
  • image-2150050310.jpg
    image-2150050310.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 29
  • image-2462564996.jpg
    image-2462564996.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 31
  • image-2774921878.jpg
    image-2774921878.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 30

discodumpling

You know I envy those whose growth is measurable in length. My hair is waaaaay healthier than at the start of the challenge. I've experienced positive gains in texture and thickness! Length....I can't really see but I can "feel". I lightly flat ironed last week and before I could finish the top shrinkage was kicking in in the back!

Be back with some type of pics...

MeowMix

You know I envy those whose growth is measurable in length. My hair is waaaaay healthier than at the start of the challenge. I've experienced positive gains in texture and thickness! Length....I can't really see but I can "feel". I lightly flat ironed last week and before I could finish the top shrinkage was kicking in in the back!

Be back with some type of pics...

discodumpling. ITA. No measurable length, but my hair just FEELS better.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

@Je Ne Sais Quoi Put your twists in a high bun and then put on your scarf. our twists will have body the next day. You can also do 4 loose bantu knots for waves and body the next day. I never just throw on my scarf when I'm wearing twists; my hair is too fine for them to look good the next day.

@faithVA Those sections of hair look thicker to me though! Perhaps you gained volume over length?

I will try the bantu's tonight. Great suggestion. NappyNelle

kinkycurlygurl

Ladies, have anyone of you had issues with your edges when bunning? How do I prevent issues such as the edges weakening or even breakage around where the bun is placed?

I try to never pull my hair back tightly. I always leave enough slack to show my texture on the surface of the hair that prevents me from pulling the hair from my hair line out.

babylone09

Here are my end results

End of dec

Attachments

• image-1410459735.jpg
    image-1410459735.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 24
  • image-334150890.jpg
    image-334150890.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 21
  • image-1165332260.jpg
    image-1165332260.jpg