Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge 10/1/13-12/31/13

ojemba

This will be my look until ???? - my hair reaches BSL Lolll.

image-2330860835.jpg

I did mini twist before but they messed up quickly and after spending so much time putting them in they only lasted 2 weeks.

With the medium ill keep them up in a bun - protect my ends. And it's way easier to refresh the hairline.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
This is my second day wearing a twist out. I'm enjoying my hair until Saturday, then I will install my first set of Marley twists. I will post pics.

faithVA

Ladies I have added you to the challenger list
Ojemba
Keranikki
Duchess007
jesusislove1526
Tibbar
Froreal3
ckilsand
Shun78
BraunSugar
DDTexlaxed

mensa & perfectlyImperfect , let me know when you update your starting post.
FoxxyLocs, why not just use the last pic you took from the previous challenge? Just a thought.

faithVA

I haven't worn flat twists in a while so this is my first week in a long time. They look much better than my twist would look at this point. I have been spraying them 2x a day with a tea mix, oiling my scalp with a castor oil blend and baggying for about 5 to 15 minutes in the morning and evening. Also trying to remember to do at least a 1x minute scalp massage daily.

Since the flat twists are more convenient I will stay with this style for a while. I will take starting pics this weekend when I wash.

I plan on trying a walnut powder dye for my grays tomorrow night. I am going to do it in these same flat twists.

FoxxyLocs

Ladies I have added you to the challenger list
Ojemba
Keranikki
Duchess007
jesusislove1526
Tibbar
Froreal3
ckilsand
Shun78
BraunSugar
DDTexlaxed

@mensa & @perfectlyImperfect , let me know when you update your starting post.
@FoxxyLocs, why not just use the last pic you took from the previous challenge? Just a thought.

I didn't take one. I haven't taken one in over year. The pic I posted in one of the threads a couple of months ago was 2 years old.

faithVA

I didn't take one. I haven't taken one in over year. The pic I posted in one of the threads a couple of months ago was 2 years old.

Well dang! No wonder I don't know what you look like :lol:

So if these pictures are old then how you tired of taking pictures :perplexed: I'm just saying. lol: I won't bring it up any more :lol:

dicapr

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)?

I will be alternating between all three. I will get my hair professionally styled in a combination of braids and twists. I will wear the style for 2 weeks. I will then take the style down and wash and blow dry my hair. I will wear buns for two weeks and then get my hair re-braided/twisted.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?

I will be using a mixture of oil and water to keep my hair moisturized. I will use WEN finishing spray every 4-5 days to keep my hair well conditioned. This works well for my fine hair.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?

Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?

I would like to increase my retention. My hair grows, but my ends are so terrible I end up cutting off all my progress.
5. Will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?

My hair will be restyled after 2 days at the most.

6. Include Starting Pic. (You will not be an official challenger without one).

See my avitar

LennoxMommy

I have been on this site for awhile getting info and reading about everyones hair journey and now it is time for me to join my first challenge, so I'm in :drunk:!!!

I have been searching the internet looking for interesting styles to try so I want to utilize all of the styles, but my go to style is typically bunning.

Its honestly still in development since I am new to all this. So far I plan to section, detangle and co-wash my hair once a week followed by moisturizing, sealing, and styling. I may change my style every 2-3 days depending on how fresh it looks each morning.

Natural

I would like retention to finally begin moving from APL to BSL.

Hopefully I can keep each style 3 days.

This is how my hair is styled today, two strand twist in the front leading around to a bun in the back.

IMG_20131004_104903_929.jpg

IMG_20131004_104922_855.jpg

ckisland

On Friday I will join this challenge. I'm getting a keratin therapy treatment and have to wait 3 days before I can do anything to my hair.

How do I do the twistout bun without a ponytail holder?

This depends on the length to thickness ratio of your hair. I can do this on a old twistout that's really stretched, but I don't know about a fresh one.
What I do is use my hand to grab my hair like it's a ponytail where I want the bun to be. Then I twist it and wrap the hair like I'm making a bantu knot. If I'm not using a ponytail holder then I use Goody spin pins. They go in and hold my hair with no problem :yep:.

ETA:
I randomly bought a jar of Cantu Curling Custard and although I was planning to do a wash n'go, I'm going to use it to set my braids instead. I'll do my hair either tonight or tomorrow, and hopefully I'll have good results!

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
lisanaturally My twists are braided in two braids at night. This maintains moisture. I m&s every other night.

I will be washing tomorrow and dcing. I will put flat twists I need the front and twists in the back.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
lisanaturally My twists are braided in two braids at night. This maintains moisture. I m&s every other night.

I will be washing tomorrow and dcing. I will put flat twists I need the front and twists in the back.

I plan on doing the same thing tomorrow after helping the in-laws. I'm using Marley hair though. I know we're not supposed use it in this challenge, but I need my hair to last more than a week.

BraunSugar

My minibraids are in. They took about 9 hours over the course of 2 days. I took my time watching episodes of Dexter on demand.

This is after I moisturized and sealed, so they plumped up a little. I hope I can keep these for the rest of the month.

apple_natural

My minibraids are in. They took about 9 hours over the course of 2 days. I took my time watching episodes of Dexter on demand.

This is after I moisturized and sealed, so they plumped up a little. I hope I can keep these for the rest of the month.

hey.. lurker in this thread has a question for you...

first of all, your hair is lush!
second, how the heck to you take care of your ends? i noticed you didn't braid all the way to the tip, which probably solves most of the problem.. but, how do you keep them healthy?

ojemba

Steaming after I oil my scalp with jbco/peppermint then re twisting my hair line for second and last week in my medium twist.

nlamr2013

flat twists lol I'm learning how to cornrow but its a slow process
I just tie it up at night. I will be doing ghe most nights
natural
to transition from the heat damage I got after my bob cut back in april
probably more like 5-7 days
lol the best picture I could get

BraunSugar

hey.. lurker in this thread has a question for you...

first of all, your hair is lush!
second, how the heck to you take care of your ends? i noticed you didn't braid all the way to the tip, which probably solves most of the problem.. but, how do you keep them healthy?

Thank you!

I had a shaping haircut a few months after my BC where I basically had a tapered TWA. I have kept that shape over the years so my hair has layers. When I braid it, some of the braids begin to taper off when I get to the bottom so I have to stop before I get to the very end. I make sure my ends are moisturized and sealed with oil. I also oil rinse during every wash. As somebody who wears my hair out more than I PS, moisturizing and sealing very well is the way I have always made sure that my ends are ok.

dicapr

My hair is now in twists. I hope that I can get at leas two weeks out of these. My stylist doesn't like using a lot of styling products on my hair because it is fine. While I like that my hair isn't hard and coated feeling, I'm worried that twisting with only conditioner will leave me frizzy by mid week. If that happens I will wash and roll the twist on flexirods to try and refresh them.

davisbr88

I'm joining!
1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? Buns
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Cowash, seal with avocado butter, and style with some kind of cream. Take down bun at night to remoisturize and seal in 4-6 sections.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? More moisture and better retention.
5. Will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days
6. Include Starting Pic. (You will not be an official challenger without one). Will put up my picture when I straighten on October 18

FoxxyLocs

Well dang! No wonder I don't know what you look like :lol:

So if these pictures are old then how you tired of taking pictures :perplexed: I'm just saying. lol: I won't bring it up any more :lol:

:lol: I used to take pics. Then I got tired and stopped and I haven't gotten back into yet. Especially since my hair isn't any longer now than it was two years ago, it just seems pointless. But I think I'm making some progress now that I've figured out my ends, so maybe by the end of this challenge I'll be ready to update.

faithVA

[USER=174670 said:
FoxxyLocs[/USER];19059307]:lol: I used to take pics. Then I got tired and stopped and I haven't gotten back into yet. Especially since my hair isn't any longer now than it was two years ago, it just seems pointless. But I think I'm making some progress now that I've figured out my ends, so maybe by the end of this challenge I'll be ready to update.

Girl I know. I'm not even going to lie. I'm going to use the same picture for the back that I used for the last challenge. But I may take a new picture of the front.

What are you doing differently with your ends? I can always use some tips.

faithVA

Went for another flat twist style this week. Twisting takes no time. Parting takes forever. As it gets longer I think I won't have to care so much about the parts.

FLLtP1 (372x364).jpg

FTBkP1 (350x370).jpg

FTTopP1 (499x512).jpg