Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge 10/1/13-12/31/13

ckisland

Welcome to the challenge ckisland. I don't know why I thought you were in here already :lol: Must be some other challenge I am thinking of.

No! It's because I did sign up when the challenge first started, but I never actually started participating :lol:. Hey, better late than never :rolleyes:.

Although my attempts to hit a store and pick up a new shampoo and DC failed miserably, I just washed and DC'd with what I already had. I used Cantu for my leave-in, sealed with grease, and twisted my hair up to dry. Lawd!!!! I went into shock for a moment when I was in the shower. It hit me how short my hair is now when it curled back up. It looks really healthy though, and the curls looked like they did about 3 years ago, which is nice. I'm glad I stopped trimming when I did. I would not be able to deal with hair that was too short to pull back while in twists :nono:.

faithVA

I took my twists out today but didn't bother trying to wear it out. I did my wash regimen and put it right back up. I'm getting a rollerset on Thursday, so I will be using my pass next week, um, maybe :lol: Shoot, I may not make it 3 days with a rollerset before I throw twist back in.

I put my hair in 8 flat twists, 4 on each side so it will be easy for take down on Thursday. Twisting is easy, but parting is a beast :lol:

I will post pictures tomorrow.

Duchess007

Did a henna gloss, VO5 cowash, ACV rinse, DC, oil rinse, AVG rinse, applied leave in and twisted up in ~32 twists.

image-934322825.jpg

image-1887646540.jpg

image-1855495181.jpg

image-518793500.jpg

image-3269280554.jpg

image-2096504270.jpg

image-1323400536.jpg

image-3838588102.jpg

image-3702878816.jpg

image-2232187901.jpg

image-227405554.jpg

image-647754757.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

Duchess007

2-strand twists. Will probably keep them bunned up all week.

image-3777686674.jpg
image-3415214295.jpg

Last edited:
Well ladies...this is my first set back in 5 years. I have been bunning and just noticed a few hours ago that bunning has literally broke my hair off around the whole front, sides and back perimeter of my hair. Those parts are now 1 inch long while the rest of my hair is 14 inches long. I have no clue what to do at this point.

Attachments

• image-2303364809.jpg
    image-2303364809.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 28
  • image-2448803516.jpg
    image-2448803516.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 28
  • image-4011046085.jpg
    image-4011046085.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 28
  • image-4108833785.jpg
    image-4108833785.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 33

faithVA

Well ladies...this is my first set back in 5 years. I have been bunning and just noticed a few hours ago that bunning has literally broke my hair out around the whole front, sides and back perimeter of my hair. Those parts are now 1 inch long while the rest of my hair is 14 inches long. I have no clue what to do at this point.

:bighug: I am sorry you had a setback.

I say just baby the broken parts and let them grow back. There is no need to do anything drastic.

Maybe you can wig it for a while until the edges grow out. Or just try slicking it back gently. You only need to let them grow out another inch and then you can do plenty with it.

Maybe if you put in twists you can camouflage it.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Thank You for Sharing Your Styles. Where did you get your hair accessory?

Thanks faithVA I have been very lazy with styling for a while now. :ohwell: The hair thingy is by Goody. It seems to be decent for my hair. I just open it, slip it into the hair and close it. It was a gift...I wouldn't pay 10+ for it. :look:

:bighug: I am sorry you had a setback. I say just baby the broken parts and let them grow back. There is no need to do anything drastic. Maybe you can wig it for a while until the edges grow out. Or just try slicking it back gently. You only need to let them grow out another inch and then you can do plenty with it. Maybe if you put in twists you can camouflage it.

Thank you
Yeah my boyfriend actually upset too that this happened. I am trying to figure out what to do with my hair tonight, for tomorrow bc bunning was my everyday style. I don't do good with wash n go's. I'm going to see if I can get my hair braided but I'm unsure if the pieces that are broken off can be braided at all.

faithVA

Thank you
Yeah my boyfriend actually upset too that this happened. I am trying to figure out what to do with my hair tonight, for tomorrow bc bunning was my everyday style. I don't do good with wash n go's. I'm going to see if I can get my hair braided but I'm unsure if the pieces that are broken off can be braided at all.

A good braider can braid 1/2" of hair. But you have to be careful that you don't put too much strain on the edges and pull your edges out.

faithVA

Thanks faithVA I have been very lazy with styling for a while now. :ohwell: The hair thingy is by Goody. It seems to be decent for my hair. I just open it, slip it into the hair and close it. It was a gift...I wouldn't pay 10+ for it. :look:

Thanks. I can see how that could be useful. I think I have seen something like it before.

Duchess007

Thank you

I don't bun except when I'm pulling up twists/braids. (Just cuz my hair is too unruly for that to be cute!)

I tend to use a skinny piece of fabric or a scarf to cover my edges. Like this:

image-2292074148.jpg
image-3518533503.jpg

That way you can keep your buns but ease the tension on your edges.

Also, consider flat twisting from the crown down. Like this (found online- not me):

image-2682769262.jpg
image-4125709934.jpg

Baby them and they'll be back. It's not traction alopecia, which is much tougher to reverse. And henna has been good for strengthening my strands, which may help as you're trying to retain length.

If you do end up braiding, maybe try flat twisting the front so those strands aren't trying to carry a bunch of weight. And keep that part fresh.

image-788840522.jpg

Last edited:

whit923

Finally took down my loose twists this weekend. Unfortunately I also had my daughters hair to do, so I'll be bunning my dirty hair for the rest of the week. I spent a total of 10 weeks in twists (mini and loose combined. Not sure what style of twist I'll be putting in next. Maybe a Chary Jay-esque style with flat and two strand twists. Not sure yet.

ckisland

Well ladies...this is my first set back in 5 years. I have been bunning and just noticed a few hours ago that bunning has literally broke my hair off around the whole front, sides and back perimeter of my hair. Those parts are now 1 inch long while the rest of my hair is 14 inches long. I have no clue what to do at this point.

I'm sorry this happened :sad:. Like Duchess007, I was going to suggest flattwists. Or what about wearing your hair in twistouts and braidouts for awhile? The front of you hair would be long enough to camouflage the perimeter for sure, and there'd be zero tension on that area. Also jbco has done amazing things for people. I'd suggest getting some type of healing or specialized oil to help your damaged areas out even further.

BraunSugar

I'm back home after a week in Detroit. I will start removing my braids tomorrow. It's been a month and they did very well.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Installing some smallish twists. These are really medium, but they are the smallest I will go due to my lowish density. I hope to keep them in for close to two weeks.

faithVA

My hair is still stretched from my rollerset so I trimmed my ends today. It has been about 8 weeks. They were looking pretty scraggly. Getting ready to put in twists now to get me through the week.

nickmack

Hey guys, faithVA I missed the start of this challenge and I had great retention the first time I participated, so I'm unofficially joining. I installed medium rope twists on Friday and will be trying to keep them in for a week at the very least, two weeks tops. I'm on the road all day today so I'll share pics later or during the week!

faithVA

Hey guys, faithVA I missed the start of this challenge and I had great retention the first time I participated, so I'm unofficially joining. I installed medium rope twists on Friday and will be trying to keep them in for a week at the very least, two weeks tops. I'm on the road all day today so I'll share pics later or during the week!

You can officially join. Just post the answers to post 1 and your starting pic when you get to your PC. It doesn't matter when you start. Welcome to the challenge.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Style for the week. I realize that I never style my hair cute anymore because I am always using my topical growth aides and the scalp massages mess up my style. Hopefully these twists with braided roots will survive.

ForumRunner_20131103_150229.jpg

ForumRunner_20131103_150242.jpg

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Btw
My twists at the start of this challenge.

ForumRunner_20131103_150439.jpg

My twists now.

ForumRunner_20131103_150459.jpg

I'm not changing a thing! Twists for life! :lol:

ETA: Excuse hubby in the back of the pic. heehee

Last edited:

faithVA

Style for the week. I realize that I never style my hair cute anymore because I am always using my topical growth aides and the scalp massages mess up my style. Hopefully these twists with braided roots will survive.

View attachment 232213

View attachment 232215

I have this same experience. If I style it so it looks nice then i really don't give my oil and massage 100%. But since I want healthy hair, I'm willing to forgo the nice looks for a while. But I am looking forward to having pretty hair styles one day :yep:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
^^faithVA I joined this challenge in October last year and have been wearing twist updos pretty much 99% of the time since then. That is about one year of growth.

Styles: I have been having ugly hairstyles for some time now because I've been messing them up with my growth aides. This week I am supposed to be inverting, so I don't know why I did this nice style. smh.

faithVA

^^My twists aren't even as long as your first picture. Even that would be nice. But I definitely can't wait until they are as long as the second.

faithVA

Finally finished my twist. I think wearing flat twists allows me to forget about how short my hair really is. Wearing 2 strand twist, it just reminds me every day :ohwell: They are at least wearable. I will probably go back to my flat twist on next wash day.

I clipped a few more ends after I twisted.

I will take pictures tonight and maybe post tomorrow.