Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

ChristmasCarol

I didn't participate in the April-September phases because I was too busy bein' fass' wearing wash 'n gos this spring/summer :lachen: However, after a deep trim due to SSK's throughout my nape, I'm back to my senses and will start bunning again!

Be back with answers and a pic later this week.

Last edited:

SoopremeBeing

Hellur!!!!! Count me in!

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning?)
Flat twists with a phony pony.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
Co-wash once a week, HOT and shampoo at the end of the month, for twisting: I twist with Cantu Shea Butter, an essential oil(avocado, olive, or coconut), and EcoStyler gel. I oil my scalp EOD with either my Wild Growth Oil or my oil mix(jojoba, coconut, avocado, tea tree, glycerin, vitamin E, castor). Most of the time I will air dry completely, but if Im in a rush, I will air dry for an hr, then blow dry on medium for 5 min. I will also re-incorporate MegaTek in my regi in October.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
Transitioning!

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
Mostly retained moisture and hopefully some length.

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
Probably two days.

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
Will post after Im done twisting!

Evolving78

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? buns. but i might get some twists put in.
2. What is your style maintenance regimen?moisturize, seal, and bun
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? relaxer
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?length and retention
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days
6. Include Starting Pic.

Tibbar

I'm in!! (again)... :yay:

twists have been my main hairstyle for the past year and I've been reaping the benefits so why mess with a good thing??

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
I'm going to continue to do twists
Wash or co-wash weekly or sooner if needed, deep condition. Moisturize and seal (not as often as I should though :look:)
After a two year transition and frequent trims, almost 100% natural... still finding the odd stray relaxed end fragments... snip
Length, health and thickness
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
I don't wear my hair out too often, but if I do I know I'll wear it out for at least 3 days out of sheer laziness...

Last edited:

Fhrizzball

ooh I want in! Right now my hair is in my version of mini braids but I feel bald in them so I don't think I'll revisit.

twists and bunning
Wash every other week
Alternate with Protein and Moisture Treatments
Cowash once a week if need be
Keep a style in for 2 weeks max
natural
better retention
3 days if possible

Attachments

• september2.jpg
    september2.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 89

Carmelella

WendellaWoody said:
made a mistake...still trying to upload this picture:nono:

If you have a smart phone and take pics it's even easier on the LHCF app. Just press reply to thread, then on top there should be the addition sign next to Send. Press the add button, then choose Attach from photos, it'll take you to ur phone album, then select the pic u want to add. It'll upload it, then when it says Done Uploading, click on it and then select INSERT IN LINE. The code for the pic will show up on ur comment. Finish ur reply and press send and the pic will be in ur post.

pookaloo83

Here's my starting pics. My sis took these on Sunday. I wish my whole back was showing. I'm gonna wear this shirt everytime for comparison just For the squares on my shirt. My middle seems longer than my sides. The middle looks like I'm APL. Gah! I wish! Hopefully by December! Here's pics. If you follow the lines on my shirt I pass a few squares from my sides compared to the middle of my head.

Sent from Rick Ross' Moob

Attachments

• image-2726413008.jpg
    image-2726413008.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 73

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
In the first 3 challenges, I would fall off and on. During the 3rd round of this challenge, I had actually been sorta following the challenge but did not come back to the thread to let y'all know I don't think.

Now here's my answers to the questions:

This will be I hard one for me to have a primary style. I just know it's going to be a variation of flat twists, one big french braid tucked under, maybe some buns, but mainly updo styles so I can leave my hair alone. I've been doing pretty good with doing this for the pass few months.

I will try to keep a style in for at least 3 days before redoing it into a different style. Just knowing me, I get bored really quickly. However, I am going to avoid wearing my hair down as much as possible, which I've been doing pretty good with not doing. I will shampoo, condition, and blowdry my hair every 3-4 weeks.

Natural

More length retention, more thickness, and more ease of styling

After 1 or 2 days.

Here's a pic of my blowdried hair back from August 2012:

Last edited:

MeowMix

Hey Everyone
You know I’m sitting on the “@” & the smilies today. It’s exciting to see new faces. New challengers, please forgive the mentions I’m updating the announcement.

pookaloo83. Pook I was looking at your avi thinking ‘what she going to twist? :scratchch I’m seeing APL CONGRATULATIONS.

ladysaraii. Thank you for taking snaps. Just to let you know fedoras are not allowed :giggle:

SoopremeBeing…how much of the phony pony covers your hair? I don’t know how much the rules are set in stone. You know I’m NOT sitting here in judges robes. :welcome: We will work something out. :sunshine:

shortdub78, your hair is looking thicker. Good seeing you :wave:.

Fhrizzball & tapioca_pudding :welcome3:

Poohbear Did you get a deva cut? Your hair is :gorgeous:.

Seamonster, sipp100, Tibbar, nickmack SimJam BraunSugar
NappyNelle. :wave:. Good seeing you back.

Lets protect and go hard...it's getting cold.

Last edited:

SoopremeBeing

MeowMix Only my ends really. I twisted my hair up into a pineapple ponytail thing, so you can see my real twists all around. My afropuff pony just sits on top.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?two strand twist, mostly in flat twist updo styles

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Spritz with aloe vera juice and water every other day. Use my hair tonic on my scalp (olive oil, rosemary, nettle, burdock root, avocado oil, grapeseed oil)

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural 4a/b w/fine strands, dense and dyed

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? mOre length, less breaking

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? two days max atleast thats the goal

6. Include Starting Pic. Done on 9/22/12

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
bajandoc86....Funny..... I showed her your pic from the FOTD forum in order to give her an idea of what I wanted

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Welp! I'm out already. I didn't realize there's no wigs. I'm pretty sure I'll be braided up under wigs at some point during the winter so... bowing out.

Victoria44

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Mini twists in a bun
2. Whats your style maintenance regimen? Spritz mini twists with a little water, and moisturize and seal daily. To take them down, detangle with mane n tail detangler, DC, wash, castor oil rinse, then retwist the next day with SM curl enhancing smoothie
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length retention, healthier ends, and a healthier crown.
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 days

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
@MeowMix - please add me - thanks. I lurked for the past month in the other thread :look:

I installed mini twists last Saturday and I'm in love!

- Primary style will be mini -twists, if taking a break then buns
- This is my first time with mini-twists, so my goal is simplicity. Spritz with water or some spritz daily, and seal. Keep twist pinned up
- Natural
- Thickness, length, less splits & knots
- I probably won't be out of twists much, but I'd say 3 days tops

6. Include Starting Pic. - I really, really suck at pics

Attachments

• minibangs.JPG
    minibangs.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 74
  • twistsdown.JPG
    twistsdown.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

NikkiQ

Lord I come back from the states to see MeowMix done called me out and put me on the challenge list! :lachen:

Considering that all I ever do is wear my hair in braids aka Celies...I think I'm in. I'll save my spot so once I do my official length check, I'll come back and answer my questions and post the starting pic.

ladysaraii

I'm looking at everyone's braids/twists and they look great. i need to do a better job of parting my hair and braiding so it doesnt come loose at the base.

@ladysaraii. Thank you for taking snaps. Just to let you know fedoras are not allowed :giggle:

LOL! You are so silly!

And I posted my pic

MeowMix

Golden75. Your in. BTW, sucks at taking pictures is my title. Believe me as this challenge goes on your going to see some 'ooh girls' from me crazy: Thanks for the snaps

NikkiQ. We were trying to get you in last time. :grin: Good to see you. Welcome back to these here Unites States. You here for long?

TopShelf Victoria44 and ladysaraii. Wow just wow. Y'all are raising the bar. Thanks for the snaps.

Last edited:

NikkiQ

^^^I was there for a week celebrating my birthday with family and friends. I'm back in Puerto Rico now though. Got back last night around 10 so my hair is still in the same puff it was in when I flew here lol.

discodumpling

I'm in again!

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?= I bun primarily but will braid when the mood strikes.
2. What is your style maintenance regimen?= Moisturize daily, co wash once or twice per week.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?= Natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?=I've been trimming for thickness for about 18 months and will continue to do so until i'm satisfied. So thickness and length.
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?= I only keep my hair out for 24 hrs max.
6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).= Be back with a pic before the 1st.

TruMe

Thanks MeowMix for the invite. Like sipp100, I didn't participate last session but really want back in this time! It's time to meet some serious goals before the end of this year.

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?I want twists to be my primary but we will see how I'm able to implement this without it taking too much time. Otherwise, I will be bunning.
What is your style maintenance regimen? Midweek - Cowash twists, Weekend - Undo twists, shampoo, DC and redo, Daily - Moisturize, seal and wrap twists to stretch every night
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Moisture retention and most importantly, length retention
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days
Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). Will add one this weekend

-PYT

Hey girls! I'm def back in for the next round! Can't wait to see all of our new challengers participating. I'll enjoy reading all of your plans for the next couple months!

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists! (Medium, chunky, MINI :yep:)
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Maintain twists by twisting with castor oil to maintain moisture all week long and spritz/seal ends as needed. For take down I will probably finger detangle with Vatika oil, wash length with Wen, scalp with Castile soap/water, oil rinse and DC.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? More growth, more retention, more sanity when dealing with my hair :)
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? I will say 3 to give myself some leeway.

Last edited: