Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

pookaloo83

This will be my official starting pic. And I already have my hair in twists I just did today.

Sent from Rick Ross' Moob

Attachments

• image-1787898368.jpg
    image-1787898368.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 92

Leslie_C

:dance7:Party over here! I wouldnt miss it for the world! :)

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Bunning by default, but will play with some twists again this round.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Prepoo/wash/dc weekly. M&S each am and put hair in a puff and make it into a bun or some updo variation . At night I take it down and if it feels like it needs it, Ill mist again. Will incorporate some baggying. I let my puff down at night to give my edges a break.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Transitioning (Long term)

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Moisture retention! Thicken my edges and nape. Minimize breakage.

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2-3 days (I dont wear it out often, so when I want to get fancy and do a twist and curl or bantu knot out, depends on how well the style is holding up. If it looks good and is holding up, Ill wear it out 3 days.

6. Include Starting Pic. See attached!

Attachments

• IMAG1160-vi.jpg
    IMAG1160-vi.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMAG1107-vi.jpg
    IMAG1107-vi.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 60

BraunSugar

My mini braids:

I posted my blowout up thread as a starting pic. At the end of this challenge I will do another blow out pic and hopefully be able to see a difference. I will also prob do another set of mini braids at some point and compare those to the ones from today.

It took a total of 7 hours to complete. This time included eating, changing diapers, feeding my son, playing with my son, talking to my husband (while braiding of course) and catching up on tv shows. Time flew by. I am aiming to keep these in at least three weeks. I suspect they will be just fine. They are much better than the set I attempted a few months ago.

Alright, lots of luck people!

NaturalTaurus

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists and buns

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Moisturize as needed... Wash, deep condition, and style at least every two weeks.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural (BSL)

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length retention, growth, and different styling options... I typically stay in mini twists because I'm lazy.... lol

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). Starting pics are below! :spinning:

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 55

MaraWithLove

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Mini braids and twists
2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
Spritz scalp with tea, apply oils, moisturize and seal as needed, DC weekly
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
Natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? More time to do other things, length retention, stop hands in hair syndrome :grin:
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2
6. Include Starting Pic. In progress

ETA:

Hair is all done!

Last edited:

jprayze

At first I didn't think I could do it, but now I'm on my 3rd challenge with you ladies! Thanks for your support. I may take a hiatus to hide my hair sometime soon, but I will still lurk!

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?

Buns, may do minibraids

Flat iron or Twistout in buns, regular DCs and black tea rinses are my new best friends

Natural (aPL)

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?

Length retention and growth

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 days

6. Include Starting Pic.

image-640671837.jpg

ogmistress

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? I'm going to try bunning
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Um...not sure yet. I am dealing with dry ends so I have to change some things.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? length and ends that don't feel like a dessert
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days.
6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

Attachments

• bun.jpg
    bun.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 66

virtuenow

I'm in. I just embarked on my own twist journey and this thread popped up right in time.

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
Mini twists

Daily conditioner rinsing, scalp washing every other day, weekly deep conditioning (protein reconstructor) & weekly castor oil rinses (or as needed). Daily moisturizing and sealing. Redo twists approx every 4weeks.

Natural

I would like to learn my hair

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
I do not plan to wear my hair out at all

Attachments

• image-3989068535.jpg
    image-3989068535.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 92
  • image-2290854235.jpg
    image-2290854235.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 76
  • image-1918599084.jpg
    image-1918599084.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 88
  • image-3359492451.jpg
    image-3359492451.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

KimPossibli

Supergirl
Re:

two large cornrows done to go around my head

style with the Hawaiian silky edge pomade
spray with glycerin mix at night and tie it down at night

Natural

Minimises SSK

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?

After 2 days.

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).attached

We look forward to cooperative learning. Post your questions, frustrations, and trials. Share any tips that you may have

Attachments

• today 30.9.2012 005.jpg
    today 30.9.2012 005.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 46

MeowMix

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Braids
What is your style maintenance regimen? Co-wash ~2x wk, DC 1 wk, Dust~ 8wks, Protein~ 8wks
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Retention
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days

pookaloo83

Here's my twists today. Or should I say for the next 2 weeks.

They're in a banana clip

Attachments

• image-2211091638.jpg
    image-2211091638.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 58
  • image-4269882754.jpg
    image-4269882754.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 47
  • image-927361314.jpg
    image-927361314.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 36

pookaloo83

virtuenow said:
I'm in. I just embarked on my own twist journey and this thread popped up right in time.

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
Mini twists

Daily conditioner rinsing, scalp washing every other day, weekly deep conditioning (protein reconstructor) & weekly castor oil rinses (or as needed). Daily moisturizing and sealing. Redo twists approx every 4weeks.

Natural

I would like to learn my hair

I do not plan to wear my hair out at all

Girl you have got a SHAPE! virtuenow

MeowMix

Hi Everyone,
Tomorrow is the big day. Let’s keep the PSs going. :auto:

It’s good to see so many people returning. I’m excited about our new challengers. Welcome SoopremeBeing, Golden75, NikkQ, NaturalTaurus, virtue Now & Itgirl. I hope you find this challenge as fun and as encouraging as I have. Oh,and speaking of that, I would like to introduce you to the rest of the Co-Host.

NappyNelle. Y’all know her right? How many times have you gone in a thread and see her helping someone out She’s being doing the thing for a while. Her healthy hair is in the 2nd grade.

-PYT is returning for another round. She’s hitting those books, so she’ll be popping in and out.

MsDee14 is jumping in again. She will be lending a hand in December when it's starting to get cold. :thankyou:

Last but definitely not least is Leslie_C . This is her first time co-hosting this challenge. She had a lot of good stuff to say last round and retained some SERIOUS LENGTH. :congrats:

Again, thanks everyone. You've helped me to learn and be more confident with my hair.:circle:

Last edited:

MeowMix

And I was TRYING to not be a maniac about the beginning :wink2:

nickmack. NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. Said in my ESPN sports announcer voice. Grrrrl you did the thing over the summer. And, I really like that update link. :brainy:

pookaloo83. Someone is just wearing her APL hair huh. BTW I love virtuenow 's boots.

Is anyone else just noticing the general THICKNESS in this challenge? I'm just sayin'. :yep:

LilMissRed

did a co wash/dc using argan oil conditioner by proclaim.. my first time using it but I think I might like it...well I liked how my hair felt afterwards without product
moisturized/sealed/retwisted mini's

NikkiQ

Okay here we go!

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Mostly braids/Celies. Haven't had the guts to try a bun yet.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Shampoo,DC, detangle, braid, leave in for 2 weeks at a time. Apply MN mixture daily. M&S whenever I can remember. I'm pretty bad at that.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length retention :yep:

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? I usually don't wear my hair out so I'll just pick 2 days

Attachments

• 20120930.jpg
    20120930.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 2012-09-30%2014_47_09-1.jpg
    2012-09-30%2014_47_09-1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 44
  • imagejpeg_2_8.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_8.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 44
  • imagejpeg_2_7.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_7.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 43

-PYT

MeowMix You are soo good at this! :lol: You introduced us all like the starting line up!

Welcome ladies! Let's end this year on a good note retention, thickness and healthy hair wise! I still have my twists in, will most likely spritz and seal/twirl my ends with some castor oil tonight. Let's do it!

MeowMix

Thank you MsDee14. I just PMd you. The funny thing is I was just thinking about you because of the new challenge.

-PYT:lachen:. I can be corny. Thank GOODNESS for the 'innanet' :dork:

Last edited:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Wooohooo!

1. Two strand twists are my primary style. I like to wear them pinned up, or wavy via bantu-knots. I also like to bun with banana clips.

2. I moisturize and seal as needed. I like to use Oyin's Frank Juice or Juices & Berries to spritz, then seal with a butter from Hairitage Hydration, Oyin Handmade, or Qhemet Biologics. I also like to use castor oil on my ends for further protection. I massage my scalp with sulfur oil or pomade 3-4x a week.

3. I'm a nappy-kinky-coily-curly natural!

4. I hope to maintain styling ease and growth retention during this challenge. I need to baby my edges and my ends in order to reach my hair goals.

5. Usually, I wear my twists for 3-4 weeks at a time, so I will take a week long break between twisting sessions. During that week, I wear braid outs, pin ups, and buns. If I take a time out from twists, I will wear buns and french rolls.

I've been on this challenge since last fall, (thanks faithVA!) so here are some "hair highlights" from this year:

08/11

09/11

10/11

11/11

12/11

1/12

3/12

4/12

5/12

6/12

7/12

Twists From Back:

8/12

Twists Comparison:

Twists on partially stretched hair: 11/11 SL. 08/12 APL.

Clean Hair Comparison:

Unplanned Braid Out: 8/11 Above CL. 9/12 SL.

Our hair can show growth in its natural state; even when shrinkage kicks in. :spinning:

Last edited:

virtuenow

LOL @virtuenow I thought you knew from your avi and your first 'growing out' period. I'm sorry I have let down my Aubrey sister-wife.

NappyNelle Yes, my avi is my first growout-- and it happened by chance...I didn't know what I was doing :lol:! I went through a long breaking phase then I chopped last year. Now I am on my second big grow out. This month is my new hhj, I've abandoned the hhj I started last year b/c it was a weave/wig journey and now my scalp is paying for it. I'm looking forward to wearing my hair in its shrunken state, stretched state, whatever-- it's my hair. Twists have allowed me to do wash-shake-n-go's daily :yep:. I smell freedom :).

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
virtuenow That is great to hear!! This challenge is perfect for you then. :yep: I hope you can get your scalp back in shape ASAP. Many of us are taking special precautions to keep our scalps as healthy as possible. I know I neglected it for a long while in my hair journey. :lol:

Forever in Bloom

Twists, of varying sizes. I love mini twists, but I have to wash my hair weekly :nono:

On wash day, after moisturizing my hair, I seal with either castor oil or Qhemet Biologics Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm <-- this! I don't have to seal for the entire week. I sleep with a satin bonnet and keep my hair pinned up in a protective style while in twists. I just add a funky pair of earrings and a hair accessory for instant glam :yep:

Natural!

That extra inch to an inch and a half by December

I don't wear my hair out. Why do an out style when I could pin my twists up into a funky 'do?

Oh yeah? Well harumph! I'm in the HYH Challenge, so all I got is this sucky pic of old twists. I honestly don't put much into my twists because they always end up in a style, so don't judge me
twists.jpg

This was my hair at the end of June for the reveal. I'll get kicked out of the club if I show anymore.

lamaria211

I'm in I bun everyday all day. Changing the place of my bun each day to prevent any friction breakage