Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

MeowMix

REMEMBER: No hiding your hair! No wigs, no weaves, no extensions, etc.

This challenge is for twist, braids, and buns on your own hair. Using these low manipulation and protective styles, we aim to retain the growth we achieve over a three month period.

Twists: 2 strand twists, flat twists, 2 strand flat twists, coils, bantu knots

Braids: box braids on your hair, plaits, cornrows, french braid,s etc.

RULES:

1. All styles must be done with your hair exclusively. :yep:
2. Your hair must be in twist, braids or bunned for at least 5 consecutive days.
3. You can wear your hair out for up to 2 days after taking your twists out (like in twist-outs, afros, wash and go, etc). [If you need to amend your restyling time, let us know in your initial post! A 2-day turnaround may not be feasible for your schedule and lifestyle.]
4. Check in when you restyle your hair, or at least every 2 weeks since the challenge is short.
5. When you restyle give us an update. (regimen, style, moisturizing secrets, etc.)
6. Post a picture of your twists at the beginning of the challenge and at the end.
7. The challenge will be from October 1, 2012 – December 31, 2012.
8. You will have 1 pass during the challenge to cover you for a week.
9. Heat is allowed in this challenge. Be sure to use a heat protectant and the lowest setting possible for your hair. Remember to be careful! We do not want to damage our hair for the styling purposes of this challenge.

REMEMBER: No hiding your hair! No wigs, no weaves, no extensions, etc.

Feel free to join at any time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Start by Sharing:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

We look forward to cooperative learning. Post your questions, frustrations, and trials. Share any tips that you may have to make this challenge more effective for all of us! We look forward to hearing your tips, suggestions, and questions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy Hair Growing Ladies!

Challengers (Part IV):

@blcbuty@
AHeadOfCoils
An_gell
AnjelLuvsUBabe
antisocial
Asha97
AtlantaJJ
babylone09
bajandoc86
BBritdenise
BERlin
BGT
BraunSugar
CafedeBelleza
Caramelangel247
cch24
Chameleonchick
CherryCherryBoomBoom
chocolat79
cnap
Creatividual
curlycrocheter
destine2grow
discodumpling
Diva_Esq
Duchesse
EnExitStageLeft
EasypeaZee
faithVA
Forever in Bloom
Froreal3
futurelonglocks
GaiasDaughter24
geejay
gennatay
g.lo
Growingmyhairlong
gvin89
Golden75
Imani
IMFOCSD
ImFree27
iri9109
isawstars
Itgirl
itsjusthair88
HighAspirations
JassyMo
Je Ne Sais Quoi
jenaccess
jesusislove1526
Jewel08
jprayze
judy4all
JustGROWwithIt
KaramelDiva1978
Kimeshajohnson
kinkycurlygurl
LaFemmeNaturelle
ladykpnyc
ladysaraii
lamaria211
LeighasMommy11
Leslie_C
LilMissRed
lomaxee
longinghair
lovely_locks
lovely_locks
LoveTheSkinImIn
lyricallysound
MaraWithLove
menina
MeowMix
MissAlinaRose
MsDee14
NappyNelle
NaturalTaurus
NaturallyMede
NaturallyTori
naturalmermaid
naturalpride
NaturalTaurus
nickmack
NikkiQ
Nix08
NJoy
Nubenap22
NYRICAN1
ogmistress
ParagonTresses
PeculiarDaye
Perfexion
Poohbear
pookaloo83
Prettycoach
-PYT
quirkydimples
ree.denise
RegaLady
Rocky91
Ronnieaj
rsmith
Seamonster
Serenity_Peace
Sha76
shortdub78
silentdove13
SimJam
sipp100
SkySurfer
song_of_serenity
SoopremeBeing
Successfulmiss
tapioca_pudding
tatiana
thaidreams
thehappyserver
Tibbar
TopShelf
TruMe
Victoria44
virtuenow
WendellaWoody
youwillrise

If I am missing anyone, please let me know, and I will add you ASAP! :clap:

Link to Part I: Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (1/1/2012-3/31/2012)
Link to Part II: Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (4/1/2012-6/30/2012)
Link to Part III: Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (7/1/2012-9/30/2012)

Last edited:

pookaloo83

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? I'm gonna do twists
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Just moisturize and seal every couple of days.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length and thickness
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? Probably 3 days

Will post a starting pic from my phone cause thats where all my pics are.

nickmack

:yay:I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!
But look at MeowMix at the controls - great going already girl, I see you! :D

NappyNelle hope you're well :) You did such a wonderful job moderating and motivating the last challenge, I'm definitely in it to win it this go around. I actually twisted my hair last week Friday night, I'm that serious. I think the more I do it, the more of a habit it will become :) and since I HAVE retained length from the last challenge (even before the vacation-weave) I have a little more hair to play with!! :yay:

-----

ETA: Adding my starting pic and stats!

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
Twists again! If it ain't broke, I ain't fixing it :)
Wash with a clarifying shampoo at least 2x monthly (I have seborrhoeic dermatitis, and it helps), co-wash (or rinse with water) once weekly, deep condition every week - alternating between reconstructors and moisturizing treatments), moisturize with liquid-based leave-in moisturiser daily/as needed, seal with castor oil (hair and scalp!)​
I is natural!​
HEALTHY HAIR!, length retention (my last round I DID retain length, ah-ha! More confidence in rocking my TS twists without the need for extensions, and a reduction in split ends (I see them lurking...) and SSKs...and I want thickness like bajandoc86 and NappyNelle :drool:
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
Um. I'm not sure I'll even wear my hair out. My twists have been in since last week Friday, so this is my second week twisted. I may do what I've seen Nonie post in other threads about simply redoing her hair section-by-section without having to take everything down​
Here you go! The left is my starting pic in July's challenge, and the right is my starting pic for this challenge!​

---

ETA (part deux, lol)
My vacation weave was in for 3 weeks, but outside of that I was twisting it up :)

Last edited:

ladysaraii

Of course I'm in! i loved the other thread and I hope we continue this into 2013 (esp since I didnt start until last challenge)

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? I plan for my primary style to be minibraids. i will also do french braids, and twists

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Wash once a week, aloe vera rinse, spritz with moisturizing spray

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Continued hair growth and improved health

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? Probably 2

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). UH-HUH Yes I am! *crosses arms and pouts*

ok fine, I'll take a picture
:D

Last edited:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
nickmack Awww, thank you!! I really enjoyed hosting the last two rounds; we've had a lot of participation, we're getting comfortable styling and wearing our hair, and people are reaching their goals! Now it's time for a new wonderful lady to to take control. Thanks MeowMix!

tapioca_pudding

I'm definitely back in this challenge :yep: I'm going hard (hair/body/skin/finances) for the final quarter of 2012. I want to see some changes!!

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Bunning for me!
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Bun weekly, apply sulfur balm 3+ times a week, m&s nightly. Shampoo/DC/rollerset Friday nights, flat iron roots. Wear hair out Saturday/Sunday then back to the bun. I may throw in a few curlformer sets on the weekends here and there to change it up, but that's my general reggie. :) Still figuring out products.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natchal
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I did a trim not too long ago, hoping to maintain my ends. Maybe see an inch or so in retention.
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days most likely, will put rollerset hair into a bun after wearing it out on Saturday and Sunday.

My starting pic, straight hair:

My hair is still straight right now from rollersetting so tonight after I workout I'll do some twists. :yep:

Last edited:

MeowMix

:yay:I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!
But look at MeowMix at the controls - great going already girl, I see you! :D

NappyNelle hope you're well :) You did such a wonderful job moderating and motivating the last challenge, I'm definitely in it to win it this go around. I actually twisted my hair last week Friday night, I'm that serious. I think the more I do it, the more of a habit it will become :) and since I HAVE retained length from the last challenge (even before the vacation-weave) I have a little more hair to play with!! :yay:

nickmack Awww, thank you!! I really enjoyed hosting the last two rounds; we've had a lot of participation, we're getting comfortable styling and wearing our hair, and people are reaching their goals! Now it's time for a new wonderful lady to to take control. Thanks MeowMix!

nickmack & NappyNelle. :dork: Aw shucks y'all. I told myself I was going to wait before jumping in here. Thank you. NN, I learned a lot from you last challenge. This is going to be fun

People have already given there stats too? I need to get a move on. Hey everybody. :wave:

Seamonster

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? I'm gonna do twists
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Just moisturize and seal every couple of days. Growth aids and scalp treatments
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length and thickness. I still have a few thin end that I spotted, but I am going to slowly trim to thickness during this challenge. Hopefully I will still be able to pick up some length while I focus on thickness.
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? Probably 3 days
6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic)

WendellaWoody

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? bunning
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? wash scalp, rinse with conditioner, then apply moisturizing dc and sit under steam for approx 30 minutes, then wrap hair into a loose bun without using a ponytail holder.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? relaxed
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?length retention, thicker, healthier hair
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? prob 2

Last edited:

SimJam

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?

wash, DC, twist, keep in for between 7 - 10 days, wear twist outs for 3 days --- repeat

length, thickness, health

Last edited:

SimJam

Can someone PLEASE walk me through the steps of uploading a picture? I want to be an official challenge member :yep:

WendellaWoody

1. You need to set up a file hosting account such as photobucket
  2. upload photo to photobucket
  3. click on the image or hover mouse over image (a box will appear with 3 options to link to your image
  4. click on the image code link (it will automatically copy it - you will see a little notification)
  5. past in your post on LHCF

MeowMix

Hi WendellaWoody :welcome:.

Are you familiar with photobucket? It's a site that lets you upload pictures. Here is a blurb I got from the Suggestions/Request part of the forum.

First you have to sign up to a site that converts the photos you upload on it into image codes. Photobucket is a good one. Then you just upload all of your photos on that site and copy the image code and paste it into your thread post

Here is the link to that thread. I posted there and practiced a little bit. Its easy. Please PM me if you need anything else.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=197675

UPDATED: Thanks SimJam. There are so many helpful ladies in this thread:)

SimJam

you could also just upload from your computer using the "manage attachments" button

you have to be in advanced editing mode, (click "go advanced" at the quick reply at the bottom of the page

then scroll down and click on the button "manage attachments"

then its just like regular uploading

BraunSugar

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Mostly buns, but I will throw in some braids and twists occasionally for fun.

What is your style maintenance regimen?
Wash with black soap mix once a week, DC w/coconut milk, oil scalp 3-4 times a week, preserve hair with satin bonnet

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
Natural

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
Better growth retention & hair health

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
2 days

Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
Pic coming after my wash.

Seamonster

^^^ #demtwists :drool:

Are you talking about my twist:blush:, That is the first LCHF compliment on my twist omg :jester:

What is your primary style (

will include length check at the end of the month

Your twist are amazing, so thick!

Seamonster your hair has really really really thickened up !!!! Ive said this before but those twists are proving it !!!!!

Thanks you, I hope to have your thickness at the end of the challenge.:grin:

WendellaWoody

Thanks so much seamonster!!! Here is my before picture, taken on 9/14/12, fresh out of the shower.

Attachments

• IMG_2281.jpg
    IMG_2281.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 89

LilMissRed

I'm soooo IN!!! :dance7:

1. What is your primary style? two strand twists, sometimes with a bun
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? co wash/dc weekly, moisturize/seal with whatever suits my mood that day (Crisco/avocado butter/ aloe vera juice & my slew of oils are my friends-we hang out ALLOT!!-not all together tho :grin:)
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? au naturale
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? length retention, thickness
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after 2 days or 3 days? no more than 2 days
6. Include Starting Pic.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited: