Twist/braid/bun For Growth Challenge 2017 (no Extensions)

VictoriousBrownFlower

I did a much needed protein treatment this wash day and my hair thanked me immediately. After I washed out the protein treatment my curls were popping and clumping all over the place. I applied my leave in and double sealed. Then placed my hair into the reg twists in a bun. I need to remember to keep up on my protein now that I'm not getting it from the eco styler.

I've dedicated myself to wearing this protective style 100% of the time until the end of this challenge when I'll do a wash and go to compare with my starting pic. I guess you could say I'm doing a personal hide your hair challenge.

snoop

I installed medium two strand twists last night. I think I'm over manipulating my hair by wearing it out for one our two days in a week (though not every week). I'm going to have to go back to my tried and tested boring routine of medium and mini twists only. Even the large goddess/flat twist style that I wore earlier this week was too much my hair. My hair needs to be finger detangled, then remain in smallish sections or else I'm cutting out knots -- even if the looser style is only from am to pm. I might be destined never to enjoy loose or loosely bound hair styles without first using heat. :cry3:

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
I hit MBL!!!! :bouncy:

I celebrated by combing out my back three twists (where I get the most breakage) and trimming the sections with my new shears. I'm still just at MBL so I'm going to claim 'grazing' for now. I'm going to trim the other 7 twists in a similar manner when it's actually time to detangle.

Regimen update: I'm doing about ten twists braided at the root and put into a bun. I liked loose buns but this allows me to get Xcel 21 onto my scalp and massage without a hassle.

snoop

I celebrated by combing out my back three twists (where I get the most breakage) and trimming the sections with my new shears. I'm still just at MBL so I'm going to claim 'grazing' for now. I'm going to trim the other 7 twists in a similar manner when it's actually time to detangle.

Regimen update: I'm doing about ten twists braided at the root and put into a bun. I liked loose buns but this allows me to get Xcel 21 onto my scalp and massage without a hassle.

Congrats!!!

faithVA

:congrats:That is great news. The braided, twisted bun sounds like a great idea as well. It sounds so easy to care for. Do you have any pics of your bun?

faithVA

I start private swim lessons on Monday so I won't be able to keep my twist in for 5 days straight. I will have to shampoo my hair twice a week but I will put it back up in twist. I will get back to weekly protective styling when I finish my lessons or when this triathlon is over in August.

faithVA

Thanks @faithVA and @snoop !
I snapped a couple bun pics in the bathroom just now, lol. It's secured with a PuffCuff and the ends are tucked underneath the bun against my scalp. Roots are a week old, retwisted from the braided part down today, except the three twists in the very back.

View attachment 403001 View attachment 403003 View attachment 403005

Thank you. It does look like a great style to keep your ends tucked away but letting you still get to your scalp.

snoop

faithVA

View attachment 403301 View attachment 403303 This is the style I've been wearing for the last month and change. I love it so much that even when I get to terminal length I will continue to wear this style when I don't want to be bothered with my hair.

I plan to trim my ends when my hair shears come. I'm just going to trim the very ends of each twist.
It's funny in a way. I'm wearing these flat twist now because of my length but i have a feeling even when my hair is longer I will still be in flat twist.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
View attachment 403301 View attachment 403303 This is the style I've been wearing for the last month and change. I love it so much that even when I get to terminal length I will continue to wear this style when I don't want to be bothered with my hair.

I plan to trim my ends when my hair shears come. I'm just going to trim the very ends of each twist.

@BronxJazzy You look so pretty in your profile picture.

Fotchygirl

Oh my, the hair pics in this thread, simply :drool:! Keep them coming ladies, I'm still rocking 4 braids every week and undoing them and washing and DC'ing every weekend.

VictoriousBrownFlower

It's funny in a way. I'm wearing these flat twist now because of my length but i have a feeling even when my hair is longer I will still be in flat twist.
I know... It's just so easy and convenient why stop.

I will say I will wear my hair out more often but this style will always be in my arsenol.

snoop

I haven't posted any pics lately...

Here's how I have been wearing my hair the past couple of weeks. I think that I will stick to these medium sized twists as opposed to the mini twists that I'm used to doing. I was able to take each twist down and re-do them so quickly last night. I would never attempt to do that with mini twists. They're not so big to get messy easily, but not so small that they're time consuming. Love it!

Attachments

• Twists_June2017.jpg
    Twists_June2017.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 93

Anaisin

Washed my hair on Tuesday and put it in 6 braids to air dry. Last night in 5 braids to stretch even more. Brushed it out this morning.
IMG_0317.JPG
When I left out today just had it in a bun twisted on the front. Frizzy, poofy bun didn't add product to smooth.

Braided when I got home with QB Aethiopika butter. Need to binge watch some more cornrow videos

IMG_0324.JPG
IMG_0323.JPG

Anaisin

Haven't washed my hair yet. The 2 second cowash I attempted this morning was a mess. Should've just left it stretched and added a little gel. It's frizzy and kind of tangled in this wet bun smh. My hair needs shampoo and deep conditioning.

Glad I bought a jar of Mielle DC the other day. Think I'm going to use my blow dryer attachment to DC.

Anaisin

I've been practicing braids the last 2 days and both times were wearable outside lol. However, I decided not to wear them again tomorrow because my scalp is so sore. I really don't remember being tender headed and it doesn't seem like I'm braiding tight.

I just shampooed, conditioned and massaged my scalp. Back to plain buns