Twist/braid/bun For Growth Challenge 2017 (no Extensions)

VictoriousBrownFlower

I went to Houston, TX last week to hangout with friends. I knew that the humidity would be ridiculous so I decided to stay in my twist for pretty much the entire trip. However, for the last party I wore my hair in a twist out since I was going to wash my hair the next day anyway...when I made it back to the hotel I was shocked at how wrong TX did my hair....

Before
View attachment 407889
After
View attachment 407891 View attachment 407893
The after pics look beautiful to me but I love volume.

Anaisin

Shampooed and conditioned this morning with Shea Moisture Low Porosity and Camille Rose Morrocan Pear which smells like lemon cookies to me not pear anything

Wore it in a wet bun but I've had it loose for a couple hours to dry the middle. I used way too much product (Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Cream and amla heavy cream, wetline gel)

My braids are soft and some other parts but a lot of it is crunchy. I'll moisturize in the morning and bun

I attempted this bun style. I can't twist and the 3 Bantu knots then wrapping didn't work out lol maybe my hair needed to be dry

Side note: Wet buns lowkey give me a wet braidout look. Gives a nice stretch since my wngs shrink to the bottom of my ear now. Also my hair looks fuller at this length
IMG_0561.JPG

faithVA

Shampooed and conditioned this morning with Shea Moisture Low Porosity and Camille Rose Morrocan Pear which smells like lemon cookies to me not pear anything

Wore it in a wet bun but I've had it loose for a couple hours to dry the middle. I used way too much product (Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Cream and amla heavy cream, wetline gel)

My braids are soft and some other parts but a lot of it is crunchy. I'll moisturize in the morning and bun

I attempted this bun style. I can't twist and the 3 Bantu knots then wrapping didn't work out lol maybe my hair needed to be dry

Side note: Wet buns lowkey give me a wet braidout look. Gives a nice stretch since my wngs shrink to the bottom of my ear now. Also my hair looks fuller at this length
View attachment 407905
You have very pretty curls.

snoop

I went to Houston, TX last week to hangout with friends. I knew that the humidity would be ridiculous so I decided to stay in my twist for pretty much the entire trip. However, for the last party I wore my hair in a twist out since I was going to wash my hair the next day anyway...when I made it back to the hotel I was shocked at how wrong TX did my hair....

Before
View attachment 407889
After
View attachment 407891 View attachment 407893

You went from Pre-Party Dinner twist out to Now-I'm-Ready-To-Party twist out! Love it!

Alma Petra

2 days ago I put all my hair (except for the twa) in braids which is something that I haven't done before. In the past when I would corn row, I'd have it done at the salon. This time I did my braids (box braids?) myself. It was so frustrating. I always get the ends tangled up badly while trying to braid the roots taut and smooth, and then I'd have to untangle and try to redo the braid again. After all this my roots which are natural are very frizzy. And I tried to braid or flat braid the twa. I tried about 20 times and then I gave up. My hair looks sort of a mess but still I feel proud of myself. I want to keep the braids in for at least one week as a protective style and because washing and detangling my heavily shedding hair has become very stressful for me. I tried washing more frequently but that only meant more frequent witnessing of the shedding so I decided not to. I will try to wash, detangle and redo the braids one by one next week. Hopefully washing in sections (braids) will make the tangling caused by the sheds much easier to deal with. I normally comb all my hair as one with a partial part in the midline but with all the shedding this will not be practical anymore. Can't wait to see how well my new plan will work for me on wash day. I will be so happy if it succeeds.

snoop

That's a lot of time for every day but I'm sure it does help with moisture.

It actually doesn't take up that much time. I did it when I was experimenting with water only washing. It adds another 2 to 5 minutes to your shower; get out as much excess water with the t-shirt (soaking into the shirt) as I could while drying myself; then moisturize and seal. Second stays on for the remainder of the time.

This works well if you shower in the evening but not right before bed. I'll also do this on some wash days when I don't want to mix clay but want to give my hair a rest from shampoo.

ETA: Or for a mid-week boost in moisture like she does.

Daina

Decided I am bunning the rest of the summer. Actually been doing it since July. The humidity is just ridiculous here and my hair can't keep up. So I have been in a bun 6 days a week. The only day I'm not in a bun is wash day. I will go back to alternate styles at the end of September hopefully and won't straighten again until November.

For those who have done long term bunning have you had any issues? Issues such as breakage or trouble with your curl pattern being stretched because of bunning? Thanks!

JosieLynn

I've got 4 more days until I can finally take down my box braids!!! Some of these braids have legit an inch of new growth. Summers in Asia have a humidity level I cannot even explain but my hair seems to really love it! I've already started taking out the back sections that can be hidden during the day and I can definitely tell my hair has grown, somedays I just wish it wasn't so fine and low density. I'm going to feel bald. So i'm looking for styling suggestions, I want to wear my hair out and as elongated as possible for at least the coming weekend and then I have 2 more weeks before I move back to the states. Contemplating a flat twist-out over the weekend and then maybe a bun for the next 2 weeks. I'll be couch surfing until I get home so idk how often I'll be able to wash my hair until then.

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
Blow dried the back section of my hair to see if I could use Oyin Hair Dew as a blow dry cream (totally can). Decided to do an impromptu length check and I am so happy.

Hair longer, waist smaller. Glowing up. Pardon my extremely dirty mirror.

aug17.jpg

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I really now only bun when my hair is curly (top bun) which is about 1 week out of the month total. I'm kinda just tired of them...tired of doing them and equally as tired of looking at them (on me)

Mostly sticking to ponytails, half up and half down styles and braids. Either wear the braid down or pinned up with a hair fork.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Anaisin

Just wore a scarf and didn't cover my bun with a bonnet. Surprisingly my bun is still soft, it usually dries out rubbing against pillows etc

Shampooed yesterday with Elucence Moisture Benefits shampoo and conditioned with the last of my Camille Rose Morrocan pear conditioner.

Nice but not a repurchase. Really no sense of me buying any other rinse out conditioners except for Vo5 Kiwi Lime and Mielle Organics Deep Conditioner.

I moisturized with the Mane Choice sealing cream. I'm going to actually cut it open to get the last bit of it out to moisturize tonight. It's that serious

faithVA

I can finally do one twist up the middle. But I need to see if I can rollerset the front and get it to last at least 24 hours before I wear it. I could probably do some type of bang in the front but I'm will have to see. It's nice to have the option.

I flat ironed and trimmed this weekend. Now I'm getting ready to put my hair back in my go to flat twist. I think I will change my flat twist style in September sometime. I've been wearing this one for a minute. I will look up some styles on Pinterest and sew what I can come up with.

JosieLynn

Warning: Reposted from the Hip length and tailbone challenge I'm in.

So I am finally out of the braids and I have missed my hair so much! Did a decent deep conditioning and then shampooed twice, styled it into a flat twist with the ends bantu knotted. Came out beautifully and I can totally tell my hair has grown since I started protective styling it these past few months. I'm still kinda in the middle of a move so I haven't been able to rollerset it yet but I will most likely rock the twist out this week and then bun it up until I get back home. But i feel like a freaking movie star. Also I am surprised at how thick it seems to be now, I kept worrying I would have hair anorexia and even though not having the weight of the braids does feel weird, I really am coming to terms with my hair and it's length. I also got quite a few comments from my friends who can see my progress. Glad I'm finally getting past the plateau I was at for what seemed like a year. Now to keep the momentum and get to WL soon!

Attachments

• IMG_3353.jpg
    IMG_3353.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3357.jpg
    IMG_3357.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Photo on 8-28-17 at 1.00 PM.jpg
    Photo on 8-28-17 at 1.00 PM.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 71

faithVA

I am considering either what I have now or one of these. I can only get one of the pictures to post in the thread. #3 seems the simplest.

1.https://www.pinterest.com/pin/377598749991771810/

3. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/377598749987988560/

faithVA

Warning: Reposted from the Hip length and tailbone challenge I'm in.

So I am finally out of the braids and I have missed my hair so much! Did a decent deep conditioning and then shampooed twice, styled it into a flat twist with the ends bantu knotted. Came out beautifully and I can totally tell my hair has grown since I started protective styling it these past few months. I'm still kinda in the middle of a move so I haven't been able to rollerset it yet but I will most likely rock the twist out this week and then bun it up until I get back home. But i feel like a freaking movie star. Also I am surprised at how thick it seems to be now, I kept worrying I would have hair anorexia and even though not having the weight of the braids does feel weird, I really am coming to terms with my hair and it's length. I also got quite a few comments from my friends who can see my progress. Glad I'm finally getting past the plateau I was at for what seemed like a year. Now to keep the momentum and get to WL soon!

Your twist out is cute but why you look so sad? :lol: