Twist/braid/bun For Growth Challenge 2017 (no Extensions)

Anaisin

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? Braids & Bunning

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?

Every 4-7 days

Shampoo
Condition or DC
Moisturize
Style

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?

Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?

Having hair styled instead of throwing on a hat covering my hair the entire winter lol

5. How often will you restyle your hair?

Whenever it needs restyling and I'm not being lazy.

6. Include Starting Pic.

I did this yesterday in a rush, the 2 braids look different lol it'll look better when I do it on freshly washed hair

View attachment 383327

I was just thinking about buying some new hats since winter is coming up lol smh

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Did a henna/indigo treatment so hair is in a curly bun for a few days while the color oxidizes. Will do a wash and rollerset when it does. I've really been enjoying wearing my hair in braids. I wanna get my styling skills up so I've been looking at instabraid on Instagram for inspiration. Here is the next braid style I wanna try and perfect.

image.jpg

I like how the three individual braids lead into 1 big braid. I may even break out my honey blonde clip in's to give it a little uuumpphhh. I'll post pics when I try it.

snoop

This week was a fall for me. I did a twist out at the beginning of the weekend intending to put the mini twists back in by the end of the weekend and it hasn't happened yet. Hopefully, it'll be twisted up by Saturday night. just trying to decide if it'll be big or small.

snoop

My hair is back in twists. I did large ones this time. I'll see if I can keep them in longer than a week.

faithVA

I didn't feel like a wash day today. I spritzed it with some type of tonic in my stash and twisted with My Honey Child Type 4 Creme. I have no idea what it looks like but it will be good enough for the week. Maybe I will shampoo midweek or next weekend.

I gave up with the new style. I'm back in flat twist to the side. I may try a different style later. Just not feeling it right now.

JosieLynn

Alright! So I finally attempted to roller set my hair! First roller set was FAR from a success....took me a gazillion years to vaguely get the hang of getting my hair around the roller, used way too much product because my hair kept drying up and when I took them down it was so textured. I ended up having to brush it out and ever so lightly flat iron my hair, and I've been rocking flat twist outs/buns that way.
Tweaks to make in the future, actually having a spray bottle with just water on hand, maybe investing in end papers since my ends would not uncurl for anything and using smaller rollers first. Also figuring out a better rolling pattern, the mohawk is good but when I got to the sides all hell broke loose.

I am now looking for more ideas on styles to wear with my own hair because it's nice and big out but I need to wear it protected so I don't lose all the length I gained in this past year. Since my hair is fairly straight now I'm thinking maybe I will be able to do more styles and still show my length, but I feel so bald if my hair is anything but out and free :cry3: any suggestions for a thin haired girl?!?!?

Attachments

• IMG_3466.JPG
    IMG_3466.JPG
    390.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3471.JPG
    IMG_3471.JPG
    376.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3475.JPG
    IMG_3475.JPG
    452.4 KB · Views: 58

snoop

I wanted to break down my large two strand twists into medium three strand twists. It's not working. The roots aren't staying tight. I even tried braiding a bit first but now the roots are sticking up at odd angles and the twisted post immediately after isn't tight. If I were doing this in front of a mirror things would probably be different, but that is not an option at the moment. I've only installed three strands once.

Going back to two strands for now.

snoop

Ok. I scrapped the idea of twists and put my hair into 6 braids. I haven't detangled my hair all year and I want to go out next Sunday with my hair looking super fly. I'm aiming at finger detangling at least one section per night and then doing a detangling session with a comb before styling. It'll be my first time using a comb for this year.

Moih Aunaturel

Since I have mini braids and aim to keep them untill the end of 2017 I'll join. Tried to upload pictures but can't with my phone grrrr...
Have to go to sleep will come back later with details and pictures...

faithVA

I did finally decide to stick with the twist towards the crown at least for September and October out of pure laziness. I realized I can braid all of my twists at the crown and tuck them under. Any time I can avoid bobby pins is a win.

I hope by December my twists hang enough son8 can switch over to 2 strands.

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
Update: Currently trying out wearing loose hair [twist out] buns rather than twist buns. My detangle time was too long last week so I'm testing to see whether bunning loose hair cuts the time down. Used a PuffCuff to pull my hair in one, then wrapped the hair around itself and into a bun. Secured with a bobby pin.

faithVA

I wanted to wash tonight but there wasn't enough time. So I spritzed my hair and retwisted with My Honey Child Type 4 Hair Creme. The wash will have to wait until the weekend.

Anaisin

Still bunning. No conditioner yesterday, I shampooed twice and just used a styling lotion, Shea butter and gel.
Need to go to Dollar Tree and stock up on that kiwi Lime conditioner

JosieLynn

Got my hair straightened for a trim, currently bunning. Going to try and wear straight hair buns for the month of October and stretch this blowout as long as possible. Then it's back to curly buns and flat twists into buns

snoop

Had my hair in large twists last week. I braided them at the root just to try something different. I wore a braid out yesterday.

I'm not going to wash this week but instead use the sections of the braid out and turn them into mini twists. I really need to trim and the easiest way will be through mini twisting.

Alma Petra

Crazy shedding is forcing me to comb every other day to prevent the sheds from making my hair impossible to detangle.

I diffuse dry my hair curly like a wash and go then put it up in a bun.

faithVA

I wore a twist out over the weekend but promptly put it back up last night. I get a little wound up when I straighten my hair. But I'm back to normal now. I think I can stick to this style for all of October and November. I'm feeling pretty lazy so I think it is doable.