Twist/braid/bun For Growth Challenge 2017 (no Extensions)

Anaisin

So I finally washed my hair on Monday. Last time my hair felt water was like a week ago and that was only rinsing and I didn't detangle smh.

I had like 4 times the shed hair when I got through combing it.

Yesterday I moisturized and put it in 4 braids. I think I'll put it in 8 braids and wear a scarf with a hat over it. It's freezing outside.

Daina

Question(s) for the ladies that wear twists...do you twist on wet, damp or dry hair? Which gives you better hold and the least amount of frizz? Which starting point gives the least amount of shrinkage? Finally do you use gel or just a twisting butter?

Anaisin

My hair is in 12 braids. I might do some mini braids out of these. Easier to mini braid when it's separated in smaller sections and stretched

faithVA

Question(s) for the ladies that wear twists...do you twist on wet, damp or dry hair? Which gives you better hold and the least amount of frizz? Which starting point gives the least amount of shrinkage? Finally do you use gel or just a twisting butter?
Are you talking about for a twist out?

I do all 3 depending on how much time I have. Twisting on wet hair gives me better hold but the most shrinkage. It's also the quickest to do. Twisting on dry hair gives me less shrinkage but less hold. If I twist on wet hair I do t have to worry about my hair poofing. If I twist on dry hair it will usually poor after few hours and I have to twist at night.

If I twist on wet hair I use a leave in and whatever styled. If I twist on dry hair I make sure it's something without glycerin.

Rastafarai

Is re-twisting once-two times a week too much manipulation? I often have to retwist the front and back because they are more loose in texture and easily unravel. I wear a total of about 20-24 twists, and have to retwist about 5 in the front, and 4 in the back.

Last edited:

AnjelLuvs

So I just did about 8 twists, tried to do 3 strand twists and it was a no, so went with 2 strand!

One thing noticed is in dire need of a trim as front bands just did not coil, will not coil at ALL! took scarf off and ends look so straight. SMDH

faithVA

Is re-twisting once-two times a week too much manipulation? I often have to retwist the front and back because they are more loose in texture and easily unravel. I wear a total of about 20-24 braids, and have to retwist about 5 in the front, and 4 in the back.
If they are unraveling then you have to do what you have to do. In that situation retwisting is necessary.

Daina

Are you talking about for a twist out?

I do all 3 depending on how much time I have. Twisting on wet hair gives me better hold but the most shrinkage. It's also the quickest to do. Twisting on dry hair gives me less shrinkage but less hold. If I twist on wet hair I do t have to worry about my hair poofing. If I twist on dry hair it will usually poor after few hours and I have to twist at night.

If I twist on wet hair I use a leave in and whatever styled. If I twist on dry hair I make sure it's something without glycerin.

@faithVA, thanks no I mean for wearable twists as a protective style.

charmtreese

I twist on wet/damp hair with leave-ins and gel. I've never twisted on dry hair, so I can't compare the two. I prevent some shrinkage by using hair clips to weigh down, lengthen twist.

snoop

Generally, I twist on wet/damp hair and I don't use gel or butter. My hair holds without them.

I get the least amount of frizz depending on if I twist in front of a mirror or not and also how much care I put into my twisting technique -- mostly it's dependant on my level of care twisting....

faithVA

I had to do my wash and twist early this week because I have a busy weekend. I did twist toward the crown this time. I haven't done this style in a while. I was definitely able to see some growth. I will use this style to see my growth so I will try not to do it again until May.

Daina

Generally, I twist on wet/damp hair and I don't use gel or butter. My hair holds without them.

I get the least amount of frizz depending on if I twist in front of a mirror or not and also how much care I put into my twisting technique -- mostly it's dependant on my level of care twisting....

Thank you, think I'll try damp hair first and see how that goes.

snoop

I took my mini twists out last week and then I wore the crimped twisted-out hair in two flat twists for the week. On Sunday, I finger detangled then washed. My hair is now in 7 large two strand twists which I'll keep in until Saturday.

beauti

I washed my hair over the weekend and styled in a wag that I put in plaits at night and fluff out in the morning.

faithVA

I washed my hair over the weekend and styled in a wag that I put in plaits at night and fluff out in the morning.
You can do that for 2 days but it needs to be protected for 5. There are no out styles in this challenge. Are you taking a break?

beauti

You can do that for 2 days but it needs to be protected for 5. There are no out styles in this challenge. Are you taking a break?
I read the rules again and yes, I'm gonna have to use a pass for the week. I'm going to a few outings the next few days. I will be back on schedule Saturday night. Is that ok, sis? I know you don't play! ;)

faithVA

I read the rules again and yes, I'm gonna have to use a pass for the week. I'm going to a few outings the next few days. I will be back on schedule Saturday night. Is that ok, sis? I know you don't play! ;)
We all need a little break. ;)

Anaisin

It's only Tuesday but I'll be washing my hair again if I decide to color it tonight. Tonight as in 11pm because I don't get out of class until 10 lol so glad heat is allowed because I would have to blow dry.

Anaisin

It's only Tuesday but I'll be washing my hair again if I decide to color it tonight. Tonight as in 11pm because I don't get out of class until 10 lol so glad heat is allowed because I would have to blow dry.

Ending didn't happen. Colored my hair then realized I didn't have much SM LP leave in left. Since it was my last I wanted to use it the best way which is on wet hair to fully air dry. Have 2 braids in now

Anaisin

My hair looks a mess. Wasn't ready for this hot weather today.

Still soft and moisturized just super frizzy and shrunk a lot. Guess it's time to end these stretched buns I'm doing. Nothing is worse for my hair than stretched hair shrinking due to weather. The amount of breakage I get it ridiculous.

Time for wash n go buns or mini braids

Daina

Did my first set of twists today, took me about 3 hours. They are a mix of small and medium. Since I didn't wash I used some ACV on my scalp with a cotton ball. I then used my Xcel 21 and growth oil mix. Tied up for the night, tomorrow I'm going to do a single french braid. Hoping these will last 2 weeks.