Twist/Braid/Bun For Growth Challenge 4/1/13 - 6/30/13

BraunSugar

REMEMBER: No hiding your hair! No wigs, no weaves, no extensions, etc.

This challenge is for twist, braids, and buns on your own hair. Using these low manipulation and protective styles, we aim to retain the growth we achieve over a three month period.

Twists: 2 strand twists, flat twists, 2 strand flat twists, 3 strand twists, coils, bantu knots

Braids: Box braids & mini braids on your hair, plaits, cornrows, french braids, etc.

Buns: Any kind of bun or updo. We want our ends to be protected and tucked away! :)

RULES:

1. ALL STYLES MUST BE DONE WITH YOUR OWN HAIR EXCLUSIVELY. :yep:
2. Your hair must be in twist, braids or bunned for at least 5 consecutive days.
3. You can wear your hair out for up to 3 days after taking your twists out (like in twist-outs, afros, wash and go, etc). [If you need to amend your restyling time, let us know in your initial post! A 3-day turnaround may not be feasible for your schedule and lifestyle.]
4. Check in when you restyle your hair, or at least every 2 weeks since the challenge is short.
5. When you restyle give us an update. (regimen, style, moisturizing secrets, etc.)
6. Post a picture of your hair at the beginning of the challenge and at the end.
7. The challenge will be from April 1, 2013 – June 30, 2013.
8. You will have 1 pass during the challenge to cover you for a week.
9. Heat is allowed in this challenge. Be sure to use a heat protectant and the lowest setting possible for your hair. Remember to be careful! We do not want to damage our hair for the styling purposes of this challenge.

REMEMBER: No hiding your hair! No wigs, no weaves, no extensions, etc.

Feel free to join at any time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Start by Sharing:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)?
2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
6. Include Starting Pic ASAP. (You will not be named an official challenger without one).

You may join the challenge any time you are ready! It does not have to be on April 1. It's never too late to join!!!

We look forward to cooperative learning. Post your questions, frustrations, and trials. Share any tips that you may have to make this challenge more effective for all of us! We look forward to hearing your tips, suggestions, and questions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy Hair Growing Ladies!

(Please like this post if you wish to join the challenge!!! I will add your name to the list of challengers!!!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHALLENGERS

@afrofaithful
@
Ann0804
@aspiringnatural
@
bajandoc86
@
BGT
@BraunSugar
@bronzebomb
@candie19
@
DDTexlaxed
@EnExitStageLeft
@faithVA

@Froreal3
@
g.lo
@
Guyaneek
@
Igotstripes
@
Iluvsmuhgrass
@
jesusislove1526
@
keranikki
@myhairgrowstoo
@
Ms_CoCo37
@
NappyNelle
@NikkiQ
@
Tibbar
@TonicaG
@virtuenow

Unofficial Challengers (No Pix)
@
FoxxyLocs

Last edited:

Guyaneek

I definitely want to join! Lets go!!!

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? I will be wearing buns daily. I've already begun
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? My plan is to continue as I have been. Washing on Saturdays and cowashing on wednesdays. Oil & massaging 3xs per week and using ecostyler to smooth my edges.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? I am natural.
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I would like to see at minimum APL. I had recently reached APL but needed to trim which brought me just below sl.
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days
6. Include Starting Pic ASAP. (You will not be named an official challenger without one).

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 65
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 83
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 109

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am so stoked for this challenge. In fact, it may be my key to retain my length. It is the first of many challenges for me.:yep:

BGT

I am back in for this challenge. Even though I never update, I promise I am wearing my bun everyday :lol: This summer, I will probably weave it up instead of bunning.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? bunning
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? cowashing, airdrying overnight, then bunning in the morning
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? relaxed 4 A/B
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? protected ends to increase retention
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? I will only be wearing my hair out this weekend while in California and maybe for SO's birthday in May. Besides that, I will be bunning exclusively.
6. Include Starting Pic ASAP. (You will not be named an official challenger without one). I'll be back. :yep:

I finally took a progress picture last night.

Attachments

• image-897589017.jpg
    image-897589017.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 40
  • image-2324123156.jpg
    image-2324123156.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I think this challenge is going to be great for me. I have not been wearing any protective styles and my hair has become very dry because of it. I hope to see some hairstyle inspiration in this thread.:yep: I'm currently wearing my hair out, but will re-twist tonight.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? It will be twists
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? co-wash, moisturize, and go
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Soft & supple hair. My hair is currently dry from wearing out too much (I think).
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days

Attachments

• 2013-03-27 11.03.56 (150x200).jpg
    2013-03-27 11.03.56 (150x200).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Tibbar

I AM IN!
Coincides nicely with the end of the school year because I will be ready for something different come summer time... Until then, twists, buns & braids :grin:

Start by Sharing:

Primary style is twists which I switch up with buns from time to time.
Wash, deep condition weekly or biweekly. Occasionally pre-poo. Trying out a bunch of different products to feed my PJ tendencies.
I am natural
Ease of styling, low manipulation, protection.
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
Definitely 3 days out before I restyle.

:creatures

Last edited:

g.lo

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? buns, 2 strands twist and celie
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? daily cowashes, Prepoo, wash, Dc once a week.
Daily use of NJoy sulfur oil from today

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? retention, thicker hair
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 1 day
picture taken today, my hair reaches number 5 on thr T-shirt

Attachments

• S1520003.jpg
    S1520003.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

Start by Sharing:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? This time I'll be doing twists and buns

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? wash/dc/style weekly; M&S every 2-3 days; dust monthly

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? length retention

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? Probably none; 2 max

6. Include Starting Pic ASAP. (You will not be named an official challenger without one). I'm unofficial...again, lol. No pics.

BraunSugar

Buns and mini braids*

Shampoo 1 - 1.5 weeks. Co-wash 3 times a week minimum. Deep condition once a week. Wear a wash & go for 3 days then bun.

Natural

Improved length retention, less breakage, and to be grazing BSL

3 days

jesusislove1526

Twists, bunning, and a session of mini braids sprinkled in
M/S every other day, cowashing/DCing in between twist sessions, baggying 2x per week for ends only
Natural
Length retention, low manipulation
3 days
Starting collage pic is below.

Princess246

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? Twists, flat twists and braids.
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Prepoo, wash and DC Every 2 weeks. Cowash, Moisturize and Seal as needed.
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length retention, thickness.
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 Days

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? Braids and twists in an updo.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Style in large or medium braids/twists in an updo. Co-wash or shampoo (alternate) once a week in braids. Restyle every two weeks. Moisturize and seal every other day. DC once per week alternating moisture and protein. Oiling my scalp with NJoy's new mix every night with a baggie. I make sure to not baggie with too much additional product since my strands are on the finer side. For example, I don't baggie on co-wash day. That is asking for a wet head.

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length retention and health

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days.

Attachments

• Hair 3-26-13 007.jpg
    Hair 3-26-13 007.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

TonicaG

TonicaG
Please count me in!!!!

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? Bunning will be my primary and only style
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Weekly I wash, deep condition and once a month I do a protein treatment and/or hot oil treatment.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? I'm relaxed and loving it!
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I'm hoping to achieve more length and thickness.
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? I'm in buns exclusively, I won't be wearing my hair out.

Igotstripes

Love this challenge!
1. I'll be doing twists and maybe bunning!
2. I'm not really sure yet!
3. I'm natural
4. Retention plus my loose hair is getting on my nerves lol
5. 3 days

Attachments

• image-2855136239.jpg
    image-2855136239.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 31

Ann0804

I would like to join. My starting picture is below.

Twists, and buns

Cowash/dry deep condition twice a week. Moisturize and seal twice a day.

Natural

Retention, healthy hair.

At this time, I never wear my hair out, but I will be restyling my hair every 3 days.

View my starting picture below.

Last edited:

NikkiQ

My hair did very well in the last challenge so if it ain't broke...

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? Gonna stay rockin braids & buns
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Put in braids after weekly wash and use LOC method to keep hair moisurized in braids and buns
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length retention
6. Include Starting Pic ASAP.

BraunSugar

I washed my hair yesterday morning and wore a wash & go. I'll be bunning it tomorrow. :yep:

Since my wash & go is brushing my shoulders now, I'm wondering if I should wear it out for 1 day, wear a pony for 2 days, then convert to a bun...

virtuenow

I'm in. I'll be twisting my hair this session. Last go around was fun w/the buns :yep:. I'll update w/details later.

Igotstripes

I started my mini twists last night but fell asleep! I have one or two sections to go. I don't feel like it tho lol

jesusislove1526

I'm thinking about changing my whole protective styling routine around for the warmer months. I want to start cowashing more, probably at least 2-3 times a week. In light of this, I think I will be twisting my hair in medium/large twists [about 35-40] that I will wear down for the first week, wear pinned up for the second week, twistout for the first 3 days of week 3, and then bun for the other 4 days of week 3 before starting out with the twists again. I will be manipulating it more this way, but it will allow me more flexibility, account for the change in the weather, and give my hair the benefit of more cowashing. WL here I come!

afrofaithful

Buns mostly, every now and then I'll put in mini twists.

DC on Sunday/Monday, add leave in, castor oil or a butter, and tie it up! I don't take down my pony at night. I just tie it up and baggy my ends with SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie and castor oil.

Natural

Length and health.

2 days. Rarely three, as I bun for work.

I always lurk in here...so I'm finally going to join!

Attachments

• IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0604.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 57

BraunSugar

Washed my hair earlier today. Been working a lot lately so I've been on the board less. Hope you guys are alright. :)