Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (4/1/2012 - 6/30/2012)

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Ok, I will "try" to hang though I know my hair will be in twist outs more than everything because it's still so short and shrinks so much. Here are the twists I did last night

gvin89

NappyNelle, thanks for the invite! I enjoyed the first challenge and experienced some growth, but I decided to get some extensions so I'm gonna sit this session out. Add me for the June-September session!!!!! I will be here on the sidelines cheering you all on.

HeChangedMyName

Ok, I'm ready to roll, I just updated my original post with my hair pic. I didn't have time to twist it up yesterday before church so I wore it out. So I guess that means that for the remainder of this week it will be twisted.

ChristmasCarol

Thanks, NappyNelle
Add me to the list!

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?

Buns

What is your style maintenance regimen?

I co-wash a couple times/wk and then re-bun. Usually in a messy bun. I wear elaborate buns if my hair is blowdried or flat ironed. I re-do my bun daily, but will stretch it to 2 days.

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?

Transitioning - nearly 35 months

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?

I WILL retain 3"

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?

2 days

Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

February 17th length check (sorry about the brown tank - I'll do better next time :lol:):

TruMe

Alright, here we go again:

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Buns
What is your style maintenance regimen? I will be cowashing almost every day which would have me re-doing my wet buns daily
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natural
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length retention and a serious growth spurt :grin:
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days

Attachments

• hair1.jpg
    hair1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 46
  • hair2.jpg
    hair2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 37

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Sigh. My twists have gotten a ton of attention. I feel awkward.

They've gotten attention because they look nice Je Ne Sais Quoi :yep:

Slowly but surely, I'm installing some medium sized twists. I've been watching TrueBlood online as the time rolls by. Lafayette wears pretty scarves in a lot of his scenes:

Yes, I'm quite random. :lol:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Expert twist ladies, question for you. When you wear twists does your hair feel light/thin? I'm thinking my hair is too thin for twists. Or could it be because it's still so short? I have no volume or thickness!?!

Chameleonchick

Hey NappyNelle, I gotta sit this one out and watch from the sidelines. I am going to be majorly hiding my hair until my B-day in August.

NappyNelle

Expert twist ladies, question for you. When you wear twists does your hair feel light/thin? I'm thinking my hair is too thin for twists. Or could it be because it's still so short? I have no volume or thickness!?!

Je Ne Sais Quoi I'm not an expert, but I'm a long-time-twist-wearer.:giggle: My hair is naturally very fine, so until my hair grew out more, and I felt comfortable wearing partially shrunken twists, I always felt my twists were 'too thin' or 'too scalpy'.

Evidence:

2007 (In progress)

2007 (After MUCH plumping with spritzes, humidity and time)

2011 (Medium-sized twists in progress)

(2011) (Two weeks later, hair looks very fine)

I've had to embrace the look of my twists, because there is no way that I will have juicy, plump, Asha97 twists because my hair just doesn't do that. After several years, I'm finally ok with that. :lol:

I say all that to say, your twists look thick, full, and juicy to me. :lol:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

NappyNelle - first off, imma need you to tell me more about the quote in your sig :lol:

second, I don't feel like my twists are thick, just weird and akward looking. i'm hoping that this is because my hair is still short plus uneven. When I start feeling like this i end up chopping my hair off because i feel unbalanced :look: Thanks for the feedback though.

NappyNelle

Je Ne Sais Quoi I don't even know, but I thought it was hilarious when I read it. LOL

I understand where you're coming from. I guess I don't really have any advice. :(

kinkycurlygurl

I wanted in on this one last session, but I found the thread too late. Count me in this time.

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?

I normally wear french twists, french rolls, french braids and buns. Hmm, I see a trend there. LOL

Wash with just water 1x weekly, nightly scalp massage and spread sebum by preening, coconut oil when my ends are dry.

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?

I'm natural

I'd like to see 2 inches of growth in 3 months. I'd like to perfect my four strand braid.

I usually go back into protective styles the next day after leaving my hair down. I'll continue to do that.

Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77383090@N08/6963500143/

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I can't believe i'm saying this but i actually am loving my twists! They are making my mornings and my life so much easier and i'm feeling more confident in them day by day.

skraprchik

I added a starting length shot to my original post, although it's about 2 wks old. I'm trying to avoid straightening for awhile, so my goal for this challenge is to get my twists on the sides to reach my shoulders. Right now they're about 2 inches away from touching my shoulders.

NappyNelle

Fine 4s Regarding bunning tips:

I try to never pull my hair back tightly. I always leave enough slack to show my texture on the surface of the hair that prevents me from pulling the hair from my hair line out.

Paging cch24: How do you prevent thinning edges while wearing buns frequently?

I can't believe i'm saying this but i actually am loving my twists! They are making my mornings and my life so much easier and i'm feeling more confident in them day by day.

Yaaaaay!! I'm glad you are loving your twists.

I'm loving these updates ladies! :woot:

NappyNelle

So I finally finished twisting my hair. I decided to make them larger than I usually have them:

I sleep with my twists in 6-8 loose bantu knots for waves and body the next day:

TruMe

I think I will take the stress down even more this go around and try and do up styles with hair sticks. Now I just have to go and get some more. I did a southern tease bun with a hair stick this morning and I like it.

faithVA

So I finally finished twisting my hair. I decided to make them larger than I usually have them:

I sleep with my twists in 6-8 loose bantu knots for waves and body the next day:

Nice twists NappyNelle. Are any of those shots after the bantu knots?

You make me want to twist my hair back up :lol:

tapioca_pudding

Hey, now that I have enough length for a baby-bun, I'm in here!! :yay:

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Wet bunning Mon-Fri

What is your style maintenance regimen? I will likely finger detangle and cowash every morning since I workout pretty much every day.. but just cowash, moisturize/seal and put in a loose bun. Satin scarf at nite or satin pillowcase. Super simple. DC on Friday nights, twist out on the weekend or flat iron depending on my mood (most likely twist out, as I am lazy :lol: ).

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natchal

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length retention mostly. Just did a fresh dusting so hoping to keep my ends in good shape!

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days

Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). Well damn! :lol: (Gucci voice) Iount really have any length shots but I'll include a straight pic and a curly pic (sorry if tremendously big).

cch24

Fine 4s Regarding bunning tips:

Paging cch24: How do you prevent thinning edges while wearing buns frequently?

Yaaaaay!! I'm glad you are loving your twists.

I'm loving these updates ladies! :woot:

I'm here! Sorry, I rarely enter the hair forum anymore. Everyone knows all I do is bun so I don't want to bore anyone. I prevent thinning edged by not using a brush or comb to make my buns, and I don't pull my hair back tightly. Smoothing it with my hands is good enough for me, but I'm still in college so I don't have to be super neat all the time. If I am going somewhere and want a smooth look I will use some pomade and tie a scarf on my hair for about 15-20 minutes. Works like a charm. Also, using a bobby pin to tuck the loose hair down at the crown creates a neater look without the tension.

Hope that helps!!

Thanks for tagging me NappyNelle

jprayze

So...this challenge or any challenge like this has always scared me. Why? Because for the better part of the last 2 years, I've wore my hair out, wrap, pincurls, always out. I like wear my hair out and down. However, I really want to see growth and progress continue. With that said, I'm in here. It took me a few days to join but I've actually been bunning since last Friday, so I'm really to jump in!

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Bunning

Previously, a lot of straightening, mostly at Dominican salons. Not paying a whole lot of attention to my hair.

Now, will be doing a lot of various buns--twistout buns, banana clip buns, straight buns. Currently wet bunning.

Having fun experimenting with a variety of oils. Focusing on conditioning.

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Transitioning - 2 1/2 years POST! I will cut those ends one day.

Help me to reach APL length by the next length check (June) or before. Better retention and overall better hair health.

2 days...the entire work week in a bun and out on the weekends.

BTW -- will be taking my pass around April 19 because I am going out of town! :grin:

Starting Pic is my avi as far as length and I will post a pic later of my 1st bun.

ChristmasCarol

Awww, whadda cute widdle bun *in baby-talk*

Even the floral arrangement above is smiling at it!

Last edited:

youwillrise

I may do braids this weekend...ill prob switch between braids & twists and since I redo them weekly, I'm gonna make most sets medium sized for easy take down...decided its best to take pics when I redo my hair because it looks a mess now lol...so this weeekend