Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (4/1/2012 - 6/30/2012)

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I twisted my hair Sunday night and it's fuzzy already. I will likely take down and redo them on Sunday. Any tips for the next time to avoid the fuzz?

faithVA

I twisted my hair Sunday night and it's fuzzy already. I will likely take down and redo them on Sunday. Any tips for the next time to avoid the fuzz?

What are you using to twist them? And are you applying anything during the week?

I am low porosity. So I have found that I cannot apply an heavy oils to my hair without creating frizz. Not sure about light oils. And I cannot spray anything liquid on my hair once my twists are in. My hairs immediately all go in different directions.

This may not be your case but it may be possible that different products are causing your hair to separate versus to stay clumped.

faithVA

I just used leave in and some brbc and oil. Should I be using some kind of twist cream?

I don't know what brbc is. But you should check to see if any of the three cause your hair to frizz

It's not really a product thing. It's more that your hair may be more sensitive to certain ingredients.

The softer my hair, the more it will frizz. I have never used a twist cream but I will use gel.

You may have to play around with combinations to see what comes out best. You can try out different combos in different sections.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I don't know what brbc is. But you should check to see if any of the three cause your hair to frizz

It's not really a product thing. It's more that your hair may be more sensitive to certain ingredients.

The softer my hair, the more it will frizz. I have never used a twist cream but I will use gel.

You may have to play around with combinations to see what comes out best. You can try out different combos in different sections.

Ok, thanks lovey!

cherrynicole

So I have been bunning for about 3 mos now. I do it about 5 days a week. Put hair on a ponytail holder (ouchless) then put covered donut bun around then fan hair and place black headband around that.
So heres the deal...
Usually at night I take out my bun but and wrap my hair. The other night I was too damn lazy so I slept in it and put a scarf around my edges. My bun was shockingly intact and all I had to do was apply a little moisturiser and brush up my wispy edges. When I took my bun out my ends felt really soft and moisturized. Anyone else keep their buns in for more than one day???

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

kinkycurlygurl

Je Ne Sais Quoi I got a great tip from Naptural85, wrap your twists at night like they were loose hair then cover with a scarf. I kept mini twists up that way for 4 weeks and I could have gone longer. There were no fuzzies and wrapping the twists kept them stretched and gave them a slight bend that made them frame my face nicely. She did a video on maintaining mini twists.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
kinkycurlygurl That is a great suggestion! I used to wrap my twists like that when they were shorter.

faithVA None of those pics are after the bantu knots, so here ya go:

It was hard to capture the waves and body, but generally, my twists fall like this just past my shoulders. :)

faithVA

@kinkycurlygurl That is a great suggestion! I used to wrap my twists like that when they were shorter.

@faithVA None of those pics are after the bantu knots, so here ya go:

It was hard to capture the waves and body, but generally, my twists fall like this just past my shoulders. :)

Thank You NappyNelle, those are very beautiful.

Am I inspired to twist my hair? hmmm... I am feeling too lazy :lol:

I go back to work next week though so I better figure something out. :yep:

ParagonTresses

Hey y'all! Just popping in for a mini report...I took my twists down today, cowashed, DC'd, detangled and sectioned off into about 15 braids. I work all day tomorrow so I'll begin retwisting on Friday.

I had my twists in for a month (the longest I ever kept them in) and surprisingly they still looked good...I may shoot for 6 weeks this go round.

Miss Tia J

tapioca_pudding

Picked up some Qhemet Alma & Olive Heavy Cream last night. DC'd on dry hair w/ condish + hemp seed oil while I did my workout (and fell asleep with it in overnight lol). Woke up, cowashed w/ HEHH, finger detangled and added the AOHC to my damp hair. Used a bit of Eco on my sides to hold them down and slapped it into a bun. Right now my hair feels great; I'll see how it feels when it dries. :yep: Hoping this AOHC will be my new boyfriend....

kinkycurlygurl

Today makes 14 days of updos with no breaks. I cross off each day on my calendar and I have a nice little chain going.

I swiped it right off this tutorial and it took all of 5 minutes to do:http://youtu.be/irWqlLU2ZWM

My take:

6902954592_569439b9b0_m.jpg7049047905_6736f906ba_m.jpg

Last edited:

lomaxee

Does everyone do their own twists? If so, how long does it take?
A friend does mine and this last time it took her 5.5 hours. Is that excessive? My hair is about APL.

Fine 4s

Hey ladies,

I was paged and I'm responding :)

I haven't been on my hair game at all. I've been following the extremely K.I.S.S. technique! My hair's been in tiny twist for about a month now. If I bun in twists, I literally tie my hair twice and then put a flexi 8 to make it look like something.

When I bun lose hair my hair is in twists underneath and only the front and some of the crown/sides are lose. I basically smooth the lose hair over the twisted hair. That allows me to manage all the hair better. I might take down when my hair gets dry and wiry feeling and just wet it and apply a moisturizer. I use a Design Essential clear product to apply on my edges and I only do this on special occasions. Otherwise and use a scarf and other healthy products and whatever lays down, great if not...dun bother me much!

I'm really not on my A-game these days...

HTH!

faithVA

Does everyone do their own twists? If so, how long does it take?
A friend does mine and this last time it took her 5.5 hours. Is that excessive? My hair is about APL.

I do my own :sad: :lol: What size were the twists. The smaller the twists the longer it will take.

If I do medium size twists it takes me 1.5 to 2 hours. If I do small twists it can take me 4 hours. My hair is between NL and CBL depending on the region.

I'm sure if you read through this thread though you will find varying times. 5.5 doesn't seem excessive for small twists.

ChristmasCarol

I've been bunning/braiding the past 5 days.

I wore this for 2 days:

The next 2 days (sorry about the fuzz, this style doesn't hold up well overnight):

Today's style:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
faithVA Yes it is! lol You are welcome to respond and ask questions and provide tips as often as you like. (This goes for EVERYONE -- even if you're not participating in our challenge! lol)

lomaxee I don't think that timing was excessive. I'm VERY slow when doing my hair, so I miss the 5.5 hour twisting sessions! My hair is BSL+ in areas, so I take around 8 hours or so with breaks. I also tend to twist pretty small, which makes my style last weeks longer. Lately, though, I've been making larger twists.

Fine 4s That is a cool technique for bunning. I never thought of that, and it would surely help! I hate putting so much tension on my hair to get it all into one holder.

*sigh* I want ParagonTresses twists and sipp100s braids. Why am I so untalented?! :cry2:

Last edited:

babylone09

Count me in! I've been in twist since the 31st . Since I'm in the military I will be bunning or have my twist in a bun. The longest I will go with my hair out is 3 days. I try to dc and steam one a week and cowash at least once a week. While in twist I will do the above every two weeks and retwist. I try to keepy twist in for at least a month and in the last challenge I managed to keep them in for 2 months. These pics were taken at the end of march.

Attachments

• image-503154743.jpg
    image-503154743.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 50
  • image-789530640.jpg
    image-789530640.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 42
  • image-1120996600.jpg
    image-1120996600.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 41